Stellenbosch University Management reviews

1,0
Working for US
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2019
The institution allowed for development and growth bur work progress lacked.
Management structures show minimal diversity and the work culture also needs to vast improvement.

What i enjoyed about my employment period there was the fact that i could help students whom was in need- supporting them through accurate completion of application forms.
I also enjoyed working with my immediate staff- since we worked as a team and the Manager also followed that pattern- all were treated the same- no levels.
Pros
End of year functions
Cons
No work progression
Productive and workplace
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Chemistry department23 July 2018
My typical day at work would include performing general administrative tasks such as updating students marks; obtaining quotes for various lab equipment and stationary needed; and working through lecturing and practical schedules. I enjoy working at this university. I have been given an amazing opportunity to learn and grow both professionally and personally. demonstrating undergraduate chemistry students, the job help us to remember the basics and principles of chemistry. The management is good. The hardest part of my job would probably be having to deal with difficult or disruptive students in the lab.The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a position where I am able to teach new first year students about basic lab techniques and prepare them for the work environment.
Pros
Free lab coats
4,0
It is productive and fun working environment
SENIOR IT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape2 May 2018
I was but a student when I started there. I gained so much experience working there, it stretched me an enabled me to go beyond what I thought I was capable of. The work environment work fun but productive. It was really great opportunity to put my IT training into practice along with business, project management and skill development practices.
Great skills development
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape26 March 2018
Stellenbosch University offers a teaching assistant position for each faculty. It is a wonderful position to develop academic administrative skills. All employees are friendly and those with higher positions are open and willing to share information. The position has very little micromanagement and keeping to personal deadlines are key, but work freedom is refreshing
Productive and enjoyable
Invigilator, Marker and Moderator (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape14 February 2018
Since I was a post-graduate student, I was able to do this job. I enjoyed the invigilation, marking and moderating very much. It can become time consuming, but management and the staff always seem to be fairly reasonable.
4,0
Good
Tutor (Tutoring, Peer advice) (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape19 January 2018
Job hours were fair for everyone. Job description was well put. Management was great. The balance between studies and work was Good, it just needed your time management.
3,0
productive
Maths and Science tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 November 2017
Tutor students,
people learn differently because they are different.
management was good
the culture was ok
balancing between work and my studies
free lunch during meetings
Pros
challenge
Cons
low salary
Excellent work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape11 September 2017
Helpful staff and co-workers combined with well equipped facilities. The opportunity helped me to develop excellent communication and time management skills. I also learned how to work well with people and incorporate different ideas and opinions towards the successful outcome of a project.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
After hours marking
4,0
Challenging and fun to work
Adherence Psychosocial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town Tygerberg20 July 2017
Very challenging work environment, productive and fun to work offering a lot of development

Team work orientated and very close relationship on management side.

Working very far from the facilities that we were supporting

The job offered a lot of opportunity
Pros
Paid studies
Cons
Flexible hours
Productive and Fun
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 April 2017
Great environment to be at and grow. Offers learning opportunities and exposure. A normal day comprises of multiskilling of tasks, project management, research objectives,
Productive, Challenging, and Positive Study Environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape25 January 2017
Stellenbosch University has taught how to work hard on my own and as a team member. It forced me to learn time management in order to succeed academicaly while still enjoying life as a student.
4,0
Good, challenging and friendly environment.
Senior Administration / Finance Officer (Current Employee) –  Stellenbosch, Western Cape12 April 2016
Coming to work with positive attitude, working in really good conditions and environment overall. Seeing that you spend most of your time at the office I've learned that you need to make the most of it and help building a positive and healthy office atmosphere. Management normally support us as staff and help us in staying positive and focused. Co workers normally friendly and helpful and also adds to you being positive about your workplace. The hardest part of my job is that you cannot really plan your day, you try to, but when you get here, there's always some stuff that you need to attend to first or some problem that must be resolved, which normally takes up time, and in the end you day did not go as you planned. Enjoyable part is being in a senior position in my department, gives me some flexi time and allows me to delegate, which makes things easier for me.
Pros
Flexi time, space for career growth.
Cons
Nothing really
Productive and fun workplace
Junior Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, WC16 October 2014
Generally a typical day will start before 08:00 am around a nice hot coffee with lectures and co-workers while chatting. After, each person will deeply submerge into his/her tasks until 13:00 pm for the so called lunch time for about 1 hour, then the work will continue until 17:00.

With this job, I learnt how the respect of the individual task and schedule is very important for the entire company. Trust is also a capital element in a working environment. As I was between the management and other worker, I have an idea about the two minds and will help me quite a lot for my future employment.
One of my most important assets is, I have improved my ability to listen to people through a special relation with my co-workers.

The hardest part of this job was at the sowing, data collection and harvesting. We had to do over times. Working also in the middle of summer was hectic, but I did enjoy with my co-workers even elaborated some strategies in order to support and be fast.

The most enjoyable part was before Christmas. We usually had a kind of funny competitions between co-workers and there was no loser. I also enjoyed every time the company organised baby showers for future mothers, we always had fun.
Productive, challenging, engaging, creative
Educational Manager (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC7 October 2013
Wonderful job, management is well-orchestrated. Work long hours even though the job is part time. I learnt how to deal with students in a constructive and productive manner, enabling them to understand and apply their knowledge from undergraduate programmes to daily life situations and various journal articles they read. It is an innovative job encouraging students to think outside the box, to contemplate the deeper meaning.
Co-workers are friendly and are readily available for assistance or guidance. The hardest part of the job is having to work long hours even though I am employed part time, and also dealing with difficult or demanding students. Deadlines create pressure, but are enjoyable. Management is well-executed and operates smoothly majority of the time.
Pros
Working with students, being able to be creative and innovative
Cons
Long hours, dealing with difficult and demanding students
4,0
It is a fun and productive workplace.
Assistant Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Stellenbosch, WC25 June 2013
I learned a lot while i worked for the University, especuially diffrent cultures and working with Students and did enjoy the work and enviroment.
Pros
Going home a hour early when management allow it.
Cons
Sometime long hours.
5,0
Indeed it was fun to work there and changing lives of others, great management stuff and co-workers
Field worker (Current Employee) –  Western Cape8 February 2013
I've learnt lot of skills of dealing with people and the platforms of growing as a person, the management was awesome, easy people to talk to, and my co-workers were a great team to work with. the hardest part is when there's a shortage in the incentives, talking to the participants, doing interviews with them, and seeing that they have learnt something from what you were doing with them.
Pros
production on work
Cons
unhealthy working environment
productive and proefessional environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Cape Town28 January 2013
Creating networks and partnerships for the institute. Involved in strategic management design (including Knoweldge management). I learnt governance issues and how to set up an institute from the beginning. Very competitive environement, male dominated- this was the hard part of the job which was also less inclusive. The most enjoyable part was seeing results and meeting targets (growing partnerships and research funds fort he institute)
Pros
study opportunities
Cons
very traditional and not so inclusive environment
3,0
Productive and stable working environment
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Western Cape18 September 2012
A typical work day starts at 08h00 and is very productive from their onwards, either personally or electronically. Everyday you speak to different people and discover the different needs people may have. Immediate management is respectful and very considered in any circumstances. Level of trust is also very good and work is much appreciated at all times. Work very well with some co-workers. What i do not like about my work is to give negative results to students and their parents, because i want everybody to have a chance at success which is not always possible. What i like best of my job is the freedom i have to do my job and the fact that i am trusted with what i do, and the working environment is clean and save.
Pros
children and staff can study for free.
Cons
excessess workloads