The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

4,0
La guerra contra el concur
Private Lands Specialist (Former Employee) –  Caracas10 December 2019
Como cuento latinoamericano, recién ingresado lo asustaban a uno con el Concur y claro con el tiempo uno entiende, pero bien cuando uno ya lo domina. El ambiente laboral era muy agradable, los formatos y la interacciones con consultores era muy ameno. Lamentablemente la estructura de TNC para el 2008 era muy anglosajona y ser especialista de tierras privadas para Venezuela era un terror. A pesar de esto, siempre conseguías apoyo de otros departamento y el aprendizaje es diario. Uno se va con la sensación que falto más por aportar y aprender
Pros
Seguro médico, viajes de trabajo, new employee
Cons
Mentiras, copy paste
5,0
Great workplace culture and a company that treats its employees well overall.
Forest Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Cass Lake, MN29 October 2019
The Nature Conservancy made me feel welcome in my position. The GLOBE internship helped orient me to the different positions available within the company, and I was easily able to make connections. The hardest part of my job (or any field work position) was when insects were particularly nasty or when we walked through noxious weeds (i.e., poison ivy and stinging nettles). The schedule was typically 4 ten-hour days as opposed to 5 eight-hour days.
2,0
Dull Temp Job
Photo Temp (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL15 October 2019
Sat copying and pasting information into a database for 7 hours a day. Was not enjoyable or rewarding, but the people were generally nice. I'm sure there's more interesting jobs at TNC, but my temp job was mind-numbing.
Hyenas and red-bellied piranhas
EA to CFO (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2019
If you want to experience mental asylum by all means work here, especially the Finance department.
The management so insecure about themselves that if they see or feel a new employee gaining popularity, the fangs come out immediately.
They believe its 16th century and slavery is still acceptable.
5,0
The best workplace and job culture
Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mexico9 October 2019
Excellent work environment, the environmental programs (water, land, oceans, etc) often have inclusive and flexible directors that promote continuous improvement and leadership
Pros
home office or remote office, multidisciplinary teams
2,0
Only work here if you’re into torture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2019
What a great cause it is! But the cast-based culture, lack of leadership, disorganized processes and systems and the EXTREMELY heavy workload makes this place somewhat nightmarish. I’ve had many jobs in my lifetime, and this one is by far the craziest most hectic place I’ve ever worked. Not only that, but when you complain to management, you’re told to just suck it up or be more flexible.
Unprofessional, no job security
Conservation (Former Employee) –  Canada25 September 2019
Management is disorganized, lacks direction and commitment.
Unprofessional conduct of leadership team.
Stay away if you are looking for job security and professional work place.
community service work
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA24 September 2019
fantastic people, really the best place in the world to work with, if I get a chance to work I will work till end of my life here. That's the kind of company this is.
5,0
Excellent organization to work for!
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM23 September 2019
Great mission. Great staff. Good work life balance.
The organization is loyal to its employees and makes an effort to retain talent. It's great to help save the world every day.
The best NGO
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Bandung21 September 2019
Lingkungan yg nyaman dan jenjang karir serta pengembangan diri yang baik.
1,0
Watch out for wolves in sheep's clothing!
marketing and development (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan, Canada15 September 2019
Such a disappointment for an organization that ultimately is trying to save the planet. I would not recommend working for this organization unless you are fresh out of university and looking for a summer job. They let me go during my probationary period with no explanation whatsoever. Unprofessional and untrustworthy.
5,0
A great company to grow and learn from.
MARKETING & PROJECT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV31 July 2019
It's an amazing place to grow and learn from. If you love the environment, then this is a good place to start. You never know what you're going to expect or may end up along the road, but just know you're making a difference in the world.
Great land trust
Land Steward (Current Employee) –  California14 July 2019
TNC's mission, staff, and benefits make it a great land trust to work for. There is no typical day for Stewardship staff; the role includes managing a variety of projects, overseeing nature preserves, monitoring conservation easements, hiring contractors, and overseeing staff or volunteers. The pay may be lower than for-profit companies but it is rewarding to work for an innovative organization that attempts to bridge the political divide with economically viable solutions to major environmental issues.
Friendly and engrossing
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Happy Valley, ON23 June 2019
I was a volunteer for Nature Conservancy Canada and helped remove invasive Garlic Mustard plants in Happy Valley. We were first told what the plants looked like and how to remove them and then we were led into the valley. You did have to bend down a lot to pull up the plants from the roots but everybody was really friendly and genuinely cared about the state of Ontario's biodiversity.
Great Organization
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI29 May 2019
What a great organization! I felt like I was a part of an effective team working with TNC. I also felt like my ideas and thoughts were considered when it was time for suggestions.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, workplace culture, advancement
11 June 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! At TNC, you can do well and do good at the same time by supporting our critical mission. I'm so pleased you enjoyed working for us! Wish you all the best!

5,0
The best job I've ever had
LEAF Mentor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY24 March 2019
It saddens me that this program doesn't exist anymore. Thos job gave me my first job opportunity in my field. I was able to work with young women from different backgrounds. We did amazing environmental work.
Pros
Great housing, car provided, outdoors, fun days off
30 April 2019

I appreciate your feedback and certainly understand your sadness. I'm glad participating in the LEAF program was fulfilling and rewarding for you in the field of conservation. Thank you for your time!

Summer Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Poultney, VT1 March 2019
This is a great Summer Internship for high school students and it has potential to have a possible future career with the company or its its partners.
11 March 2019

We are thrilled you enjoyed your internship with TNC! We hope it provided you with valuable skills and experiences. All the best in your future endeavors!

Tnc
Maintenance Worker | LEAF (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CA3 February 2019
Such a great experience. Once in a lifetime, I grew so much as a person and was able to face my fears. Challenges you to be a bigger person and be more open minded.
12 March 2019

Gee, thanks! Your comments make our day! Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Mis-management
Restoration Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, IL25 January 2019
I worked there for 11 years and loved my job and felt that it was making a difference. I worked hard, held volunteer work days, was very competent and dedicated to my work, working 6 days a week. The manager/supervisor never came out to the field to see mine or other's work, sat in an office goofing off on the computer or lying on a couch reading. And yet he was supposed to be supervising, writing evaluations about our work, participating in field work. Nope. In 2017 they hired another lazy bum who, though he at least was outside, wandered around all day looking at the pretty flowers while others did the field work. We'd see him walking around, by himself when he was supposed to be with, and supervising seasonal staff. His supervisor even joked about this guy smoking dope. And the answer we got from our supervisor, "it doesn't matter that we take money for work that doesn't get done, no one ever checks". Thus began the decline of the preserves. Unfortunately our complaints fell on deaf ears so we complained to our supervisor's manager, who also did nothing. In fact, they promoted the wanderer! Apparently he brown-nosed the right people while I was out working in the field. The workplace culture was one of mistrust, mismanagement, complacency, and no integrity. The morale was at an all-time low when I finally couldn't take any more. I had to walk away from a job I loved because The Nature Conservancy does not care about conservation. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make because I honestly cared about the preserves. They only care about money and image.
Benefits
Cons
Mismanagement
11 March 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a collaborative and performance-based culture at TNC, so I feel incredibly disheartened and disappointed to hear about some of your experience. While your experiences working for us weren't ideal, thank you for caring about nature and working to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. If you would like to discuss further, please email me at recruiting@tnc.org.

5,0
Productive ,fun work place, friendly environment
Employer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY14 January 2019
Learned so many great things from mentors and friends,also taught me life lessons. If I could work with them again I would without hesitation. My experience with the Nature Conservancy was something to remember.
11 March 2019

Gee, thanks! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review! At The Nature Conservancy, you can do well and do good at the same time by supporting our critical mission. We wish you all the best in your professional career!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.

4,2