Umgeni Water Employee Reviews

5,0
Productive and travel to various sites
MAINTENANCE PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 January 2019
Maintenance of all assets at all the various Dam sites and waterworks. Make sure that equipment is well maintained and breakdowns are minimized. Also make sure that the maintenance management system is updated and maintained.
Pros
buying facilities
Cons
overtime
Fun work place
JUNIOR ARTISAN / INSTRUMENT MECHANICIAN (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 January 2019
Informs all employees about the progress of the company. They have good programmes such as wellness day and aids day every year for all employees.

Great organisation and treats all employees as family.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No promotions
Busy ,challenging environment
SAP HCM BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg18 October 2018
Umgeni Water is a busy working area that , each day you get different issues that need to be resolved.
each and every day I get to know new things .
people that I work with are very understanding and that makes my job become very easy.
productive
SHEQ Assistance (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal5 December 2018
there is no such worse day as i come to work as i can,as a SHEQ Assistance i leaned to do checklist which help them . know what not good to be use at
Pros
yes if we have a meeting
Cons
sometimes long hours
4,0
Good
SAP BI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZA14 January 2019
it was very good working for this Client, Very good working environment with a very good management.

there are lot of things that i have learned while working
Pros
New things to learn
5,0
Great workplace for further advancement
Personal Assistant / Secretary (Former Employee) –  Durban6 June 2018
Umgeni Water was a great company to work for, in a day one has something to do and has something to learn on it.
I learnt that even with the smalled work experience you can add value into the organisation
The management is very proactive in terms of providing support and development for their employees
Pros
Good working hours
5,0
Highly professional department and supportive team
water educationalist (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal19 January 2018
I am allocated to facilitate environmental education programs in schools and communities of 4 local municipalities. This requires a lot of travelling- initiating contacts- managing stakeholder relationships- project management and setting realistic targets. The job is quite lonely but we meet as a team at regular intervals to discuss performance. One has to have top notch problem solving skills in order to deal with challenges in the field. Management is there for performance review. The most enjoyable part is the diversity of programs that one implements and seeing school children expanding their learning and growth about environmental matters.
Pros
good salary
Cons
regular long distance driving
Family atmosphere
Regional Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Germany, KwaZulu-Natal15 January 2018
A very good organisation to work for. Distances between depots/work sites, especially when called out was an Achilles heel. A very good management culture and style, giving one the latitude to make decisions.
Pros
Subsidised housing
Cons
Distances between work sites/depots on call out and/or emergencies
3,0
Good
Shift Control Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal12 April 2018
Warehouse Supervisor, Receiving and Dispatch and supervising.
Managed the contracted security co. I personally had a good experience working for this company
Productive Fun Workplace
Civil Graduate Technicaian (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 February 2018
I learnt project management at Umgeni Water. I was handling various projects and was required to monitor contractors on site as well as report back on project statuses and compile reports.

I loved the easy going warm environment.
3,0
Efficient and productive company selling water to the people of RSA
SHEQ intern (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal27 December 2017
Coordinate health and safety systems. Retain and maintain documented information.Support quality in water oprations . Brainstorm innovative ideas within the SHEQ systems.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lot of Paper work
5,0
Good company to work for...
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal12 June 2017
Opportunity to learn new things everyday.
Gained extensive knowledge on SAP.
Management is fair and includes me in all work related things as I have a disability of hearing problem.
I get along with most of my colleagues who makes sure that I'm welcomed at all times.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with conversations in meetings but is a challenge that I can overcome.
I enjoy working with my Supervisor in the GRC Support Team and he imparts knowledge regarding Governance Risk and Compliance.
Pros
Friendly and respectable people
3,0
Perfoming but not too serious workplace
General Ledger Clerk (Current Employee) –  durban, kwazulu Natal28 February 2013
1. A day where the management had to change the deadlines and all the dates were moved to 3days before the initial dates.

2. I've learnt that it is very important to always be ahead with my work.

3. Management was very supportive and assisted the team.

4. From co-workers i just saw an exceptional team spirit from them.

5. The job is not hard at all, but may be let say for a new person who is fresh from varsity, the challenging part can be speed and accuracy.

6. It gives you a break in the middle of the month, it is quiet.
diverse environment
laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  pietermaritzburg14 January 2013
Work starts at 8:00 to 4:30. During this time period I have a duty to perform all my duties for the day, fill the gap if a co-worker is absent. I have learnt to be a good team worker, time management around the work. I have to adapt in a diverse environment. I have enjoyed all the duties I had to perform, the management offers opportunities for trainings and studying which add motivation for the job.
Pros
working in a team
Cons
working weekends and public holidays
4,0
Productive potential for growth.
Laboratory technician (Current Employee) –  Kwazulu natal11 April 2013
My typical day would be Printing work for the day, preparing by setting up the bench and conducting analyses. Filling up forms in required files. I have learnt to be independent meaning self starting than waiting to be told what to do. I got an opportunity to have gotten close to my collegues where we help each other and encourage each other. The job is not hard and I enjoy working on new things such as audits. My salary expectations will be from R10000 onwards.
Pros
hard working but relaxed environment and performance bonuses.
Cons
routine work
4,0
One of the best water company in the world
Process Controller (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZN21 October 2013
When there was chlorine breakdown and the plant was shut down. The reservoirs must be kept full at all times to minimise inconvenience to the customers therefore minimising customer complaints. Artisans were very committed in sorting the breakdown within the shortest possible time. The hardest part of the day is when you get difficults customers, power failures taking much longer than necessary. The most enjoyable part is when the customer's problem is sorted in a short space of time and also when you receive compliments from customers.
Productive workplace
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZN6 January 2015
Samples need to be analysed as they arrive. There are about 70 to 90 samples that are recieved a day for analysis. I learnt to work under pressure and to meet delivery times thus ensuring customer satisfaction. The hardest part of my job would be to ensure completion of my work especially when samples arrive late however I work as a team and ensure that all preservation times are met and work is completed accurately. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are allowed to train on different methods or techniques especially because of the exposure one would get when it comes to technolgy.
Pros
75% medical aid and a 14th cheque
Cons
Travelling
productive and good expirience
Senior Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KZN17 July 2015
Daily tasks include process optimisation and troubleshooting. My work has given me an exposure to Project Management, Process design; and managening the graduate trainees. My job was to ensure that i bring evidence for all the recommendations that i have made to make sure that the operations staff can be able to adhere.
the hardst part of the job is to ensure that the process controllers always do job as required to ensure good quality product at all times.
the most enjoyable part of the job is giving the feedback of the investgation conducted by giving the evidence and all agrees to recommendations.
5,0
Umgeni is a great Company to work for with a best development opportunities.
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZN7 January 2015
Employees are proud to be associated with the company. Most leaders operate on an open door policy which makes everyone's view to matter.

Leadership are very strategic oriented thus provides sustainability to this company. The hardest part is service delivery against the available budget, as the company is a non-profitable organization. There is so much to do regarding water services and sanitation and at times resources limited.

Umgeni Water environment is the best. Here there is a high sense of belonging and friendship among everyone regardless of the race, age or color. That I will miss.
Pros
social club every month end after work
Cons
Meetings
Organised , goal driven
Inspector of Works 5 Months Engineering (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal15 July 2016
Management was direct and specific on what was required for achievement of goals.

If they were not happy with your pitch you were suppose to do it correctly till you get it right no compromise.

I learned how to read maps on the pipeline infrastructure a skill I obtained within the company.

the hardest part was getting access to company vehicle and learning how to use MAXIMO.

My co-workers and I worked wonderful together , and they were very helpful in terms of training.

The hardest part of the job was when engineers did not avail themselves to approve and critic what has been done or give direction on the next step to be taken.

the fun part was when a pipeline was completed.
Pros
Lunch Time prayer meetings
Cons
not receiving direction