Umgeni Water Employee Reviews

Productive working
Graduate Trainee Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal15 January 2019
as an Trainee Internal Auditor of Umgeni water with SizweNtswaluba Goboda .our day to day work is to run the internal audit plan to conduct the audit that are required but the audit Committee.

What i have learn is that to be a good internal auditor you need more exposure on the field. I have also learn how to document the business processes and procedures.
Pros
Cofee
Cons
long Hours
4,0
Good
SAP BI Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZA14 January 2019
it was very good working for this Client, Very good working environment with a very good management.

there are lot of things that i have learned while working
Pros
New things to learn
Fun work place
JUNIOR ARTISAN / INSTRUMENT MECHANICIAN (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal10 January 2019
Informs all employees about the progress of the company. They have good programmes such as wellness day and aids day every year for all employees.

Great organisation and treats all employees as family.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No promotions
5,0
Productive and travel to various sites
MAINTENANCE PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 January 2019
Maintenance of all assets at all the various Dam sites and waterworks. Make sure that equipment is well maintained and breakdowns are minimized. Also make sure that the maintenance management system is updated and maintained.
Pros
buying facilities
Cons
overtime
productive
SHEQ Assistance (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal5 December 2018
there is no such worse day as i come to work as i can,as a SHEQ Assistance i leaned to do checklist which help them . know what not good to be use at
Pros
yes if we have a meeting
Cons
sometimes long hours
Busy ,challenging environment
SAP HCM BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg18 October 2018
Umgeni Water is a busy working area that , each day you get different issues that need to be resolved.
each and every day I get to know new things .
people that I work with are very understanding and that makes my job become very easy.
5,0
Great workplace for further advancement
Personal Assistant / Secretary (Former Employee) –  Durban6 June 2018
Umgeni Water was a great company to work for, in a day one has something to do and has something to learn on it.
I learnt that even with the smalled work experience you can add value into the organisation
The management is very proactive in terms of providing support and development for their employees
Pros
Good working hours
3,0
Good
Shift Control Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal12 April 2018
Warehouse Supervisor, Receiving and Dispatch and supervising.
Managed the contracted security co. I personally had a good experience working for this company
Productive Fun Workplace
Civil Graduate Technicaian (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal6 February 2018
I learnt project management at Umgeni Water. I was handling various projects and was required to monitor contractors on site as well as report back on project statuses and compile reports.

I loved the easy going warm environment.
5,0
Highly professional department and supportive team
water educationalist (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal19 January 2018
I am allocated to facilitate environmental education programs in schools and communities of 4 local municipalities. This requires a lot of travelling- initiating contacts- managing stakeholder relationships- project management and setting realistic targets. The job is quite lonely but we meet as a team at regular intervals to discuss performance. One has to have top notch problem solving skills in order to deal with challenges in the field. Management is there for performance review. The most enjoyable part is the diversity of programs that one implements and seeing school children expanding their learning and growth about environmental matters.
Pros
good salary
Cons
regular long distance driving
Family atmosphere
Regional Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Germany, KwaZulu-Natal15 January 2018
A very good organisation to work for. Distances between depots/work sites, especially when called out was an Achilles heel. A very good management culture and style, giving one the latitude to make decisions.
Pros
Subsidised housing
Cons
Distances between work sites/depots on call out and/or emergencies
3,0
Efficient and productive company selling water to the people of RSA
SHEQ intern (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal27 December 2017
Coordinate health and safety systems. Retain and maintain documented information.Support quality in water oprations . Brainstorm innovative ideas within the SHEQ systems.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Lot of Paper work
5,0
Good company to work for...
Graduate Trainee (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal12 June 2017
Opportunity to learn new things everyday.
Gained extensive knowledge on SAP.
Management is fair and includes me in all work related things as I have a disability of hearing problem.
I get along with most of my colleagues who makes sure that I'm welcomed at all times.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with conversations in meetings but is a challenge that I can overcome.
I enjoy working with my Supervisor in the GRC Support Team and he imparts knowledge regarding Governance Risk and Compliance.
Pros
Friendly and respectable people
Fun work place
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal18 February 2017
great place for development for young professional with numerous resources for growth with challanges and great mentorship. well organised career upliftment. it is so say that my contract is ending very soon
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
normal hours
process engineer (Current Employee) –  Durban9 January 2017
I have received excellent training during my time at Umgeni Water. I have been exposed to many different engineering problems and challenges which has helped me grow and develop as a Chemical Engineer.
Pros
Good experience/exposure
2,0
It's working smart ,hard and learning new things everyday
CREDITORS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal10 November 2016
The day is busy, I have learned to listen my colleagues and working overtime was the hardest but receiving a call from a satisfied Supplier was enjoyable.
Pros
Team building once in a while
Cons
Overtime
Organised , goal driven
Inspector of Works 5 Months Engineering (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal15 July 2016
Management was direct and specific on what was required for achievement of goals.

If they were not happy with your pitch you were suppose to do it correctly till you get it right no compromise.

I learned how to read maps on the pipeline infrastructure a skill I obtained within the company.

the hardest part was getting access to company vehicle and learning how to use MAXIMO.

My co-workers and I worked wonderful together , and they were very helpful in terms of training.

The hardest part of the job was when engineers did not avail themselves to approve and critic what has been done or give direction on the next step to be taken.

the fun part was when a pipeline was completed.
Pros
Lunch Time prayer meetings
Cons
not receiving direction
Excelent
Procurement Admin. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal30 June 2016
The environment at Umgeni water was so welcoming and excellent team members with social and cultural events on Friday, I really enjoyed working there
Pros
Excellent organisationculture
Cons
temporary position
Production
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal13 May 2016
be the best and strive to get best results all time and become the ambassador of the organisation you work for. Collect and learn as much as possible and be the best you can be.
Dynamic and Exciting
Strategic Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, ZN17 September 2015
Cup of coffee/tea to boost those brain cells, reading and responding to emails. Analysing the daily duties without forgetting the quarterly responsibilities. New assignments being taken up, using new and innovative ideas, with the inclusion of classic ideas.

I learnt that the people in suits and offices do not just sit around and play on computers - they actually get major tasks done and in this case (major water supply tasks). There is more to big companies than what other sources may claim.

Being in the same room with the company's founder and ceo was life changing as the management skills have driven Umgeni Water to great heights and success.

The hardest part was feeling left out as I didn't have enough experiance, but I gained more information from those "awkward moments".

I just loved the work enviroment and being close to information that involves the functionality of the city.
Pros
Long Lunches
Cons
Trying to get the public to understand the importance of water.