Unilever Employee Reviews

Great culture and working enviroment
Category Supply Planner (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal3 June 2018
Great culture and working environment. The business provides plenty support for a healthy work life balance, career guidance & advancement and on the job performance. They encourage continued learning either within your category or furthering studies with an external institution.

You are taught independence in terms of managing your work along with sharp decision making skills, accountability is key. Very much an open door policy from the highest level of leadership down to your direct line manager.
Pros
Agile working
Cons
Fast paced enviroment
Great Team Culture
Key Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng29 May 2018
In many roles you are left to manage your own time. The key is delivering results, in which ever area you work in, so that as a collective Unilever moves forward and achieves their goals.
Great team culture and people are always willing to help each other, although you need to be sharp enough to learn quickly on the job.
Pros
Great team culture
Cons
Continuous change, if you don't like that
Basic Operator (Former Employee) –  Chloorkop, Gauteng10 May 2018
They typical day i encountered was when the line i was working at was broken and i was asked to assist to the other line which i was not given work training. That gave me an opportunity to learn abroad about the company and never relay on working on the same position. The management are the great leaders and understands that communication is the key in the workplace. The hardest part of the job is when we can not deliver the target due to the machine problem .e.g Brian Leakage etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was on production day where management come to the factory and work with us, and we become their management.
Pros
free launches and trips
Productive and fun workplace
Regional customer Chef assistant (Former Employee) –  Kildrummy office park, Paulshoff Sandton26 April 2018
It is a great opportunity to work here but as a Chef the growth is limited, not enough fields to venture into unless we change careers within the company.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Growth limitation in culinary field
Good time
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal23 April 2018
I believe in learning something everyday. This helps me keep up with forever changing world. I plan my day and this is how I am able to accomplish my day's tasks. The work culture is very good because even though we have our roles, we can do other peoples work and we are versatile and team players at the same time.

Shift work is bit challenging that's all.

In association with many people and learning from each other.
Pros
Fourth cheque.
Cons
Shift hours
Productive & Fun Workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Wellington, Western Cape19 April 2018
a typical day at work in any shop could change in seconds. from dealing with a difficult customer or a difficult manager. Work Smart not Hard. their wage is under the belt I think and some managers doesn't care about you.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
loads of work - minimum wage
Awesome Company
HR Secretary (Former Employee) –  South Africa15 April 2018
Fantastic mentoring, supportive co-workers and incredible environment to work in. Perks were out of this world and a very balanced work / home life. Workplace was relaxed and upbeat. Management were very involved and communication was key within the organisation and teams. Lots of energy, team support and fun - always something happening and always learning on the job.
Pros
On site canteen, coffee shop, salon, gym, ice cream bar, staff shop
Cons
Lots of pressure but rewarded well
productive
Supply chain quality controller (Former Employee) –  Jet Park, Gauteng6 April 2018
growth was there but it took a long time have excess to the up management in terms for the line of communication not the at all

and it always think on their feet and have solution matters arising thought one to always
Pros
up store for staff
Cons
reasonable hours
Productive and interactive work place.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Gauteng17 March 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different people from different parts of the city, getting their broader perspective on how they view products we offer.
From the pricing all the way to the packaging and also the effectiveness of the product that they are purchasing or interested in.
Pros
Being awarded for doing a good job
Cons
No cons
Its fun and productive
field marketer (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal port shepstone7 March 2018
Uniliver has thought me to productive and n how laize with clients n how does retail market work and the company has build me a person to be competive
Pros
Good incentives
Cons
Good hours

Want to know more about Unilever?

Ask a question
it fun to be part of the unilever family
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Gauteng3 March 2018
I have been working at this company for more than 6 years and I am proudly to say the benefits and the team work is so overwellmingI love the long hours.
Pros
Cons
when needed
productive
Process plant controller (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng16 February 2018
Good place top work at.
Always enjoying culture
Place of growth and joy
good management
I always enjoy doing my daily task each and every day
I learn new things especially from engineering side.
Pros
sometime during overtime and stocktaking
Cons
sometimes during overtime
Work place was fun
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Durban North, KwaZulu-Natal9 February 2018
Each day I was working with different technologists on a different project for the week. I learnt a lot on how to add ingredients in a formulation as well as how to carry out shelf-life, taste sections and report writing. Management was well organised in R&D as whatever was needed was on the system. There are a number of different cultures and everyone works together like a family. We learn a lot about other colleagues as they come from all around the world. The most enjoyable part was the projects working out at the end which gave me a lot of pleasure. The hardest part was actually finding ways to ensure that the quality of the projects was up to stands after adjustments were made.
Adventurous
Fieldmarketer (Current Employee) –  Boksburg, Gauteng31 January 2018
Waking up each day to go instore and interact with customers is what I enjoy the most. I feel that it's time for me to look at other ventures and new challenges in life. Team spirit and lending a helping hand is 1 of the best things I enjoy. Carrying heavy things such as washing powder has become a walk in the park for me, my own gym. I honestly love my job but doing the same thing for 6 years has taken its toll on me and it's time to move on to greater things in life.
Pros
Tea and lunch breaks
Cons
Rude store management
Limited growth within Finance
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boksburg, Gauteng25 January 2018
When it comes to work-life balance, Unilever is #1. You have the opportunity to work from home from time to time as long as you perform at the required standard, do not have any meetings that day and meet your deadlines.

As far as Salary, not the best, well below market for Finance roles. Good benefits though such as Medical Aid and 13th Cheque, which many companies do not offer. Performance bonuses are linked to company growth/performance

Working hours can be long especially at month end, stock count or budget season so be prepared to work late and under pressure. No overtime is paid for non-factory roles, including weekend work. There is a lot of pressure from management on finance which made it a stressful environment. If you are looking for career growth in Finance, there is little upward movement, people tend to be rotated at the same level with very few "climbing up the ladder". Very limited training is offered to help upskill the finance teams although they do pay for CIMA (with conditions).

But not all is bad, if you are an Engineer or have a science related degree, the world is your oyster in the factory environment, especially at Unilever. The staff shop is also an added plus.
Fun place to work at.
Area marketer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal21 January 2018
I enjoyed working at unilever although there was a lot of pressure with regards to deadlines and feedback.
Changes brought about by new management brought about restructure and job losses. This also had an adverse reaction to sales. Loss of sales brought about more restructure. Will not go back to work for unilever because you do not have job job security.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High pressure
productive and fun
machine process operator (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal18 January 2018
working for unilever makes me to be a team player and be able to work under no supervision .it is a great company to work and I acquired a lot of experience and trainings provided by company.i
Pros
free gifts
Cons
enough hours
Nice company to work for
inservice training (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal17 January 2018
-Unilever is a good company with good people who are always willing to teach everyone around then.
-You learn new things each and every day.
-i learned how to fault find in my own initiative.
Pros
Parcels
Cons
Working till late
Had a good experience working there for 7 years it will be a good to work there again
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Boksburg10 January 2018
Everyday was an experience as I got to learn new ways and forms of approaching problems and sorting them out. This company really cares cares for its employees as safety is the first policy that for me even made me work harder.
Pros
Leaanerships
Cons
Irregular hours
The best environment
field marketer (Former Employee) –  Mpumalanga7 January 2018
I start my day with a floor walk. I check that all merchandisers are present at work. I check for upcoming promotins. I enjoy working under pressure because that is were i get ma adrenalin rush
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work load during holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Unilever. Our community is ready to answer.

4,2