United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees (UNHCR) Employee Reviews

N/a
Interpretation (Former Employee) –  Nairobi, Kenya30 January 2019
UNHCR is an organization hosting thousands of refugees and their mandatory is to protect refugees. Protection is one of their mandatory, such as resettlement, shelter, food and women and children protection.
the start was good
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Khartoum6 January 2019
Its was first intern in the United Nations and the experience was very helpful and educational , I learned all the basics of supply , logistics and procurement and custom and duties and other important clearances.
Pros
Educational experience
Cons
No time
3,0
interesting and hopeful working with UNHCR
Interpreter and Translator (Current Employee) –  Addis Ababa Ethiopia12 December 2018
Working at UNHCR is good. however it doesn't give an opportunity to promote yourself. working as an interpreter in UNHCR got you paid less comparing to the other stuff.
Pros
safe working environment
Cons
no promotions when you work as an interpreter.
5,0
Productive,and lunch and break provided
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Kakuma_Kenya20 September 2018
As I was working among refugees set up,I learned that it is very important to respect everyone without looking on how someone looks like.And when you help people as you suppose to do,you feel realxed.
Pros
Free lunch and 2 breaks
Cons
Lack of torelance when there is accusation from the client.
Active Field environment
Senior ICT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tehran, IR17 September 2018
The workplace is very active, with a fast pace. It is a good thing to work for a humanitarian cause and try to make the world a better place, especially by helping those in need.
4,0
Good reference for refugee-related work
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC5 July 2018
My work was directly related to my legal training, I learned a lot, and they pay interns (a rare gem in the UN system). However, there is no guaranteed position after your internship.
3,0
Ενδιαφέρουσα εργασία, καλές αμοιβές αλλά σχεδόν ανύπαρκτες ευκαιρίες εξέλιξης
Cash-Based Interventions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Αθήνα30 May 2018
Ευχάριστο και πολυπολιτισμικό εργασιακό περιβάλλον, σεβασμός στο ωράριο του εργαζομένου, έμφαση στην ασφάλεια του εργαζομένου κατά την εκτέλεση των καθηκόντων του, πάρα πολύ καλές αμοιβές. Πολύ ενδιαφέρον εργασιακό αντικείμενο, άμεση επαφή με εξυπηρετούμενους.
Απουσία αξιολόγησης, ελάχιστες ευκαιρίες εκπαίδευσης και εξέλιξης.
4,0
good environment of work but my job was stressfull
Community Services Associate (Former Employee) –  UNHCR-Iraq\Erbil8 April 2018
I was management the sectors of health, education, SGBV, people with specific needs, medical cases. I was responsible for 5 northern governorates. The job was quite stressful especially when my supervisor resigned and I had to do her part of the job as well.
Pros
Free lunches, two coffee breaks per day
Cons
stresful
It was fine
Field Officer (Former Employee) –  Bosnia29 January 2018
Again, my experience was with UNHCR's office in Bihac. I don't know that I can speak to all of UNHCR. But, if I did I would say the organization is very slow in changing.
it is fun
välgörenhetsgala (Current Employee) –  Falun28 January 2018
I love my job at the UNHCR. it is fun, you get to meet and interacts with new people on daily basses. some of this people love what my organization is doing and want to be part of it. While some other could be very different. However, it is our duty to make them understand what we do. what your organization is all about and how there can be part of it. The job requires you to put in the right attitude and energy at all times in other to get the right results.
5,0
It was a great work place with team spirit everything went well for me.
PROTECTION INTERN (Former Employee) –  HARARE ZIMBABWE31 July 2017
We started work at 8 am and go for lunch at 1pm and then we finish work at 5 pm.
I learned talk to people of concern in a better way and also assisting them in whatever they wanted
We shared with colleagues whatever that we had
when refugees become violent during consultation periods
being able to solve problems for refugees was the very enjoyable part of the job
Pros
free transport
Cons
paying for our own accomodation when going out with work
3,0
interesting job provide opportunity to work with people from different backgrounds and cultures
Senior Protection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amman, Jordan26 June 2017
challenging, working under pressure, follow up and dealing with deadlines and emergency situations that require immediate intervention. improved analytical & communications skills. Great Team of coworkers and colleagues. advancement is somehow subject to networking
5,0
interactive and conducive working place
United Nations High Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Nairobi20 December 2016
Home to homeless people and should be supported by all human beings. I learned about humanity and humanitarian services and would like to commence the staff for their commitment
Pros
free internet
Cons
deepresing
5,0
Excelente, precisa y concisa en cuanto a las necesidades de la organización, admirable su trabajo.
De acuerdo a mi capacidad (Current Employee) –  Fusagasuga, Cundinamarca15 October 2016
Me encanta ayudar y ser parte de una gran organización, hay más alegría en dar que en recibir, valoro y respeto las personas desprendidas de su tiempo para dar a los demás un poco de alivio a sus necesidades y fortalecer su diario vivir.
Pros
Ver las necesidades de otros y poder dar de lo que no tengo para satisfacer sus falencias.
Cons
No contar con suficiente, ver tanta angustia en sus rostros y no lograr aliviar completamente el objetivo de la organización
5,0
Excellent work culture and wonderful benefits to the staff
Community Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Nepal28 April 2015
First and foremost, working with UN gives one the satisfaction that one's work is contributing to making the world a better place, more humane. It is an excellent job for meeting people from various nations thus giving one experience in working in a multi-cultural environment, staff is always mindful of age,gender,diversity management; one gets to travel between various locations worldwide on missions/training, rest and recuperation (R & R) vacation benefits every three months is provided depending on difficulty level of the duty station (as it is a demanding job with competing priorities and deadlines), maximum health care for whole family is provided, tax free high level competitive salary increased pay per year served. Training and skill enhancement opportunity for staff is taken seriously.Empathy, respect for diversity and encouragement and respect for ideas from all staff at every level is practiced.Working here has increased my faith in the belief that any person in any field of education/qualification if given an opportunity and orientation/induction can perform any task to the highest satisfactory level because I have observed it within the organisation.
Enabling Professional Growth
Senior Protection Assistant (Former Employee) –  Damak14 April 2015
Always excited about the job. Good team support. Learned issue of refugee, confidential and trust worthy and worked to address their problems to the best. Witnessing the suffering of the survivos of violence was the hardest part and to contribute something to make them help themselves was the enjoyable and satisfying part.
Pros
Open to any new innovations
Cons
Not being core staff
very good
Legal Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Moscow, ON10 January 2015
great experience. learn a lot. easy people to work with . fast pace environment.
Rewarding Job with the UNHCR in Cairo
Refugee Status Determining Officer (Current Employee) –  Cairo3 June 2014
My job in Cairo accepting or declining individuals from receiving refugee status has been a blessing and stressful. I have grown as a person as a result. I will take what I have learned along with my travels to advance me in my career.