University of Cape Town

University of Cape Town Employee Reviews

Education facility
I was a postdoctoral fellow, so this would be highly variable. As a student, this depends on the lab you work for. As a lecturer it depends on whether you are permanent or temporary.
Productive and fun workplace
This is a very interesting job. Every day is a learning experience. The students make up the best part of the day as they are the main focus of the job. Everything revolves around them and their well-being.

Management are an amazing team of individuals! Strong, humble and always willing to teach and share knowledge and wisdom regarding the job and Residence.

I absolutely love working here!
3,0
I enjoyed working for the company but the was not job security
I was working in a research project and we completed the project. I enjoyed working for UCT but it was a contract so there was no job security. when we always knew that at some stage we will have to start looking for permanent employment.
Repetetive
very relaxed environment
not a deadline driven environment

no strict deadlines

26 days of annual leave

violent protests

destruction of property by protesters
I had a great time
My job atbuct was great I was paid well and management was nice and approachable. However it was long working hours and gad to travel early in the morning
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Ling working hours
4,0
productive and focused on learning
A typical day involved an interactive, encouraging learning environment and problem solving. The best part id say is completing a job and witnessing the results in real time.
4,0
there are periods days when it feels like there are not sufficient hours in the day but also days that are fairly relaxed
Each day has new challenges or things to learn even if you have a defined job description as you deal with all sorts of personalities, cultures, ages and temperaments. I can not complain about the salary at all. Management was fair and very accommodating in times of challenges or difficulties. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and energy of the surroundings filled with learning and teaching and people growing and actually seeing their progress through their years.
Great university
The best university in Africa. Professors are world class and help anyone who comes to them. Other post graduate students are also world class and just wonderful people
I was a student
I enjoyed the HS Course as it refreshed my outlook on HS and I learned several new techniques to achieve my HSE goals and broaden my perspective. I enjoy doing courses from different institutions to keep up to date with developements
Pros
Obtained new knowledge
Cons
Costly
Excellent place of Work
UCT is an excellent work space. The Teams are great and very reliable. There is enough seminars and workshops to upgrade skills and Training is unlimited.
Great for personal development
It's a place where if you are disciplined and self-motivated, you will thrive. There are a lot of resources to take advantage of and it easy to engage and create good relationships with the students.
Diverse and fun
An environment that encourages collaboration and learning. Difficult, but there is help readily available as lecturers and students are willing to assist.
Nice place to work
The university has nice and friendly working environment. Most of the co-workers and supervisors are experienced and well informed. The working conditions are very flexible.
Pros
Free and fast WiFi
Cons
High quality research
Good company
This company was good and it treated us so well throughout the whole employment period and it paid good rates for the minor job we were tasked with. Excellent.
Excellent culture
Pleasant working environment with plenty of room to grow into the direction of research you are aiming for.

Excellent leadership and guidance in relation to work assignments, with high expectations for positive results.
It was good
Very insightful experience. They helped me learn a lot about tutoring data analytics. They have a very relaxed culture and were very accommodating. Good overall experience
Great company
Really great working at UCT. Only problem is distance and traffic.
Everything comes from your Cost to Company I.e. no real benefits other than 75% off studies.
Excellent
The University of Cape Town is the top university in Africa. It is an excellent place to not only grow academically, but as a person as well, experiencing life from a whole new and various types of lenses.
Team Work and Job Pressure
The first day at work probably worked out the best for me. I learnt a lot on team working and I governed a chance to improve my attention skills of following and keeping instructions. As it was helping me to quickly book shelf and categorize books according to their shelf number which is the hardest part of the job. I didn't find any problems on blending to the workplace culture, I enjoy quiet places if not open loud environment. The most enjoyable part was to acquired the skill of working under pressure in limited time.
Challenging workplace
Engaging workplace with a lot of challenges.
Good benefits

Good remuneration

I was able to learn a lot about employee relations matters.

Good at being consultative across all employees.
4,0
An eyeopening and fun work space.
Working with students is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had, on a typical day we would set up practical/tut material for the students because most part of the course is hands-on. I acquired the skill of knowing how to assist students to understand course concepts much better.

I built a well-working relationship with the course conveners and they were very supportive to the team and students. The most challenging part is having students that fall behind and the course material is piling up and the most enjoyable part is when I see that the students are understanding the concepts very well.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cape Town. Our community is ready to answer.
4,3