University of Cape Town Employee Reviews

Excellent
Student (Former Employee) –  Rondebosch, Western Cape4 November 2019
The University of Cape Town is the top university in Africa. It is an excellent place to not only grow academically, but as a person as well, experiencing life from a whole new and various types of lenses.
Team Work and Job Pressure
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rondebosch, Western Cape30 October 2019
The first day at work probably worked out the best for me. I learnt a lot on team working and I governed a chance to improve my attention skills of following and keeping instructions. As it was helping me to quickly book shelf and categorize books according to their shelf number which is the hardest part of the job. I didn't find any problems on blending to the workplace culture, I enjoy quiet places if not open loud environment. The most enjoyable part was to acquired the skill of working under pressure in limited time.
Challenging workplace
HR Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 October 2019
Engaging workplace with a lot of challenges.
Good benefits
Good remuneration
I was able to learn a lot about employee relations matters.
Good at being consultative across all employees.
4,0
An eyeopening and fun work space.
AGE2011S tutor/demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape23 September 2019
Working with students is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had, on a typical day we would set up practical/tut material for the students because most part of the course is hands-on. I acquired the skill of knowing how to assist students to understand course concepts much better.

I built a well-working relationship with the course conveners and they were very supportive to the team and students. The most challenging part is having students that fall behind and the course material is piling up and the most enjoyable part is when I see that the students are understanding the concepts very well.
Professional environment
Senior Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 August 2019
Servicing academics was key to support the objectives of the institution providing research.

Deadlines and output driven was the deliverables of progress reports and financial status reports to academics was a core function.

The workplace culture was sometimes found bias depending on line management reporting.
Fun Workplace
RESIDENCE FACILITIES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 August 2019
Ensuring that all Students were dealt with accordingly.
Customer Service related environment.
Dealing with students from different walks of life.
Senior Management - approachable.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Good working environment
Innovative
Student (Former Employee) –  Cape Town4 August 2019
A really great place for people to thrive in terms of innovation and thought leadership. Always keeping abreast of the latest changes in the respective fields.
Challenging insitutional environment
B-BBEE Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape17 July 2019
The organisation runs despite itself.
Collaboration between departments and faculties can be better.
Much of the very extensive detailed work is not always captured no is it accessible to promote sharing and learning. The academy does not necessarily feed knowledge to the support or operational side in a symbiotic way. This makes the university function as two parts that are at times in conflict with each other.
Pros
Big organisation learning
Cons
Slow turn around times. Borderline toxic culture.
5,0
Learning experiences being in a workspace.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 July 2019
Meet people learn about their experiences helps me learn about myself more. Being in an open culture environment allowed to be more broad-minded. Working with different people both inside and outside the university has allowed me greater strength in communication skills. It has taught me what my passion is, which is working which the youth.
HIV Research
Research Nurse - Part time (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, ZA17 June 2019
Preparation of informed medical research
Administration of intravenious infusions
Patient monitoring for adverse reactions
Record Keeping of all work related activities
5,0
WOrk life balance with good culture
Tax lecturer and tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town South Africa7 June 2019
Lectured and tutored for a year at UCT. Team is young and dynamic. Good culture with work life balance. Interaction with students was great. This profession allows one to also focus on other interests outside of work
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
May not have focused career devlopment
Rewarding work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape14 May 2019
Weekly group supervision sessions for student’s academic and skills development in field practice. For SWK2070F this entails individual attachment and for SWK3070F this entails casework as well as group work and implementation of a community project
Weekly report and assignment marking
well organized infrastructure
HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape7 May 2019
UCT was a well organized institution with its administrative infrastructure i.e. policies, systems etc up to date. A competent and well developed personnel.
Pros
great institution to work for
1,0
Disheartened workplace
Lecturer & Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 April 2019
Management far removed from reality of the ongoing political and economic crisis of South Africa in relation to higher education struggles. Racism abounds and bro culture - hang on to older, less 'in tune' primarily white academics and make little to no space for younger developing academics who are women or people of colour.
Pros
some nice colleaugues here and there
Cons
toxic workplace
excellent university
Chemistry Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Chemistry department29 March 2019
A typical day at work involved doing role call of students and guiding them through chemistry practicals. Before experiments were carried out, I was tasked with briefing students about the practical, demonstrating the procedure and also provide information about potential hazards that we would be working with. Everyday was a learning experience as unexpected things occur during each practical and I learnt a thing or two from undergrad students that I myself may have missed during my studies. I was tasked to manage fourteen students during these practicals but it was also my duty to supervise the 20 other students in the lab that were assigned to other Demonstrators. The workplace consisted of individuals of various ethnicity who were easy to work with and willing to participate. My job was pretty straight-forward so there was nothing hard about it. The most enjoyable part was watching the experiments take place and simultaneously refresh my chemistry memory.
Pros
getting to leave early once your group has completed;
Cons
marking pre-practical questions in your own time
Conventional
Employment Equity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 March 2019
A typical day at work should be about settling in with a fresh cup of coffee and routinely orientate myself with the environment; comfortably attending to my Outlook dairy to see what screams immediate attention and what can be parked for later. The best part of the day will be about engaging with people more than sitting behind a desk and pushing pencil/pen.

What I have learned is to play a positive role in the lives of others, sharing my life experiences and imparting knowledge not only in my profession but also life skills in general.

Management focus should firstly be on human relations, inspiring, encourage, engage and motivate individuals and collectives. Collaborative management makes great teams work together successfully, win together and celebrate rewards together.

Workplace culture in my opinion is about mindset shifts from silo to open mentality. Embracing differences and respecting individuals for who they are. Aiming to achieve a common workplace culture taking in to account diverse dynamics.

The hardest part of the job in my opinion is what we tell ourselves we cannot do or believe that it is beneath us to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a smile on someone's face which l influenced, even though after tough conversation.
Good Leadership experience
Geomatics Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, ZA7 February 2019
Assisted students studying the same degree as my own during tutorial sessions as well as on a week-long GIS camp.

Most sessions involved assisting the students with the various software packages and providing feedback for marked assignments.
Pros
Free Coffee
Productive and fun
Actuarial Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, ZA3 January 2019
This role was as a tutor, so it was not necessarily something very big to speak about.

Nonetheless, the culture at UCT remains the same among teachers and lecturers - a culture of fun, open-mindedness, innovation and hard work.

The people I worked with were all outstanding, and I learned a great deal about people - as a tutor, I had to learn how to convey a message to various other, unique, individuals in a way which resonated with each and every one of them. I learned how different and yet similar most of us are, and practised the art of framing statements and questions according to an individual's current level of understanding and previous experiences.

This was by far one of my most fulfilling experiences so far.

On a typical week we would give lessons to our students, mark their work and correct them. Then go through material taught in class in the previous week as well as the following.

Hardest part of the job was understanding the various nuances which influenced the way in which different people learned.
Student assistant
Geologist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 January 2019
assist students with their tutorials, field trips, class experiments
enjoyable
fun
secured
easy environment
open door policy
good culture
good working hours
poor
student and part time research assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town31 December 2018
My professor was a very strict and difficult to work with. but i was staying there to advance my career.Finally we separated due to unfair management of my fund.
Pros
advancement
Cons
bad management