University of Cape Town

University of Cape Town Pay & Benefits reviews

4,0
there are periods days when it feels like there are not sufficient hours in the day but also days that are fairly relaxed
Each day has new challenges or things to learn even if you have a defined job description as you deal with all sorts of personalities, cultures, ages and temperaments. I can not complain about the salary at all. Management was fair and very accommodating in times of challenges or difficulties. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of my contract. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling and energy of the surroundings filled with learning and teaching and people growing and actually seeing their progress through their years.
I had a great time
My job atbuct was great I was paid well and management was nice and approachable. However it was long working hours and gad to travel early in the morning
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Ling working hours
Good company
This company was good and it treated us so well throughout the whole employment period and it paid good rates for the minor job we were tasked with. Excellent.
Great company
Really great working at UCT. Only problem is distance and traffic.
Everything comes from your Cost to Company I.e.
no real benefits other than 75% off studies.
Challenging workplace
Engaging workplace with a lot of challenges.
Good benefits
Good remuneration
I was able to learn a lot about employee relations matters.

Good at being consultative across all employees.
Purpose and Vision
A typical day consists of good work ethic, learning new applications and how to deal with different personalities. Submission to management is vital. The hardest part of any job is understanding job criteria and the expectation of the position. The enjoyable part is knowing that you are in the position not only for a salary but to see the bigger picture of the company growth and the contribution of your functioning skills and abilities.
Pros
incentives/Bonuses
Cons
Weekend working
Good place for me
I would like to extend my career with if the contract period would be extended to farther. Because they're the good initiative for me to add and start meeting new learning environment and people
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long working hours
5,0
The staff made it fun there was no tension and we were always productive.
Working at the university of cape town has taught me a lot especially when it comes to communicating to different people of different ages and also how to handle people who is impatient and quick tempered, so basically you working with people with different personalities.
Pros
Got free food. And the right amount of breaks
Cons
Some days long hours but other days not
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Cape Town?
5,0
Day as a scientific officer
My day start with catching up with e-mails. Replying and adding to my list of duties. Then it is hitting the lab and prepping. Before you know it a student need assistance and that where you go. Meetings follow then tea. Back to the lab more students and finally time to sit. Then it is just finishing off what you have planned for the day.
Pros
Study benefits, flexi time
2,0
PASS staff under valued
Other than lack of benefits for contract staff, it is a nice place to work. The people are very pleasant and the work environment is quite challenging but rewarding.

Management are well aware of issues within the departments, but if you raise these issues they're swept under the rug. We carry on about austerity but there are many high paying managers who are paid to do nothing but pass their work down to lower pay class staff and pass it off as their own.

There is also no development for staff despite development dialogues that take place annually. Many employees are stuck in their positions (and pay classes). To move up many have either left the university or moved to different departments for better opportunities.
Pros
Nice cafeteria's on upper and middle campus, Jammie shuttles
Cons
No development for PASS staff
Well balanced
UCT is a a company that I will recommend to anyone looking for stability and long term positions. The benefits are good and the salary is excellent. Working relationships are excellent. Lots if training workshops.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Normal working hours
4,0
People friendly workplace,very productive and job satisfaction is guaranteed
Day starts off by sorting emails in order of high, flag urgent,delete junk mail and sort queries into query files.Processing of purchase orders as per emails or walk ins.Everyday there are new challenges as we have to deal with people from different departments,characters and needs.The workplace is very friendly environment as there are constantly people coming in and out to bring in documents or request
information.You get to meet professors,doctors,nurses general people from all departments.The hardest part of the job is when you have people coming in to bring their purchase orders and they all want it to be done urgently, but we have a system where we have a 48 hr turnover in which a p/o can be raised provided all the documents and signatures are in order. The people are overall genuinely polite and very understanding, with the odd one here and there who bring about a balance as we cannot have people all being the same.You also get to see how research is being done in various departments and feel proud that you can be a part of the change in everyday life,finding cures for deceases,producing vaccines etc.
Pros
Lunches can be bought from cafeteria, you can have your meals in the gardens in summer, and nobody stands over you with a whip, watching if u are working, we get to listen to music while we are working.
Cons
None that i can think of at this moment
Production
Good University, Doing masters at this university. I most like this job because I like working with computers, People are friendly. The hardest part is whn the network doesnot want to work.
Pros
Free Internet
Cons
Long Hours
fun workplace
it was a good job for a student as i was one at the time. It helped me to to rely on my colleagues for learning more and taking a shift when i had an exam. Management was the best ever, so efficient
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
short breaks
Nice place to work.
Other than low pay and lack of benefits, it is a nice place to work. The people are very pleasant and the work is quite challenging but rewarding. Also, lots of travel opportunities.
1,0
Pass staff are not valued
Pass staff are not valued and must fight to be appreciated e.g. for minimum increases. Our manager comes from an environment of learning but has a school principal approach to managing us where we cannot raise our opinions and must just do what he says. You can study if your manager allows it and you get 75% off.
Pros
75% off studies if you are allowed to study
Cons
Autocratic style leadership in certain areas
1,0
Traditional way of working
Innovative change needs to be made. Processes take too long to change with all the red tape or. Staff need to be treated like adults and not children at school. More development for PASS staff.

I support transformation but appointments must be made for merit as well. We are stuck with these appointments and the work is delegated to people at the bottom who carry high paid staff sometimes over a million per annum to do their work or delegate their work to lower paying staff. You have to keep quiet and do your work- if you raise these issues it is swept under the rug. Management is aware of this but nothing is done about it, because it is an equity appointment yet we are talking about saving the university money - let's start saving money with high paying managers PC13 who many people are not sure of what work they actually do for what they get paid.

With insourcing staff, permanent staff jobs are being threatened with possible retrenchments due to austerity measures.

On the positive side depending on the department you are in, you are encouraged to study. There is however no succession planning and most staff get stuck in their positions. To move up, you have to move out of your department and these opportunities will become even more limited in this environment of austerity.
Pros
Staff bursary scheme
Cons
Appointments for tranformation, not transformation and merit.
Productive and fun workplace
All of the "jobs" that I have listed are voluntary work positions for which I never received compensation. Both UCT RAG and SHAWCO Health are student governed, which makes the working environment that much more fun.
2,0
Awful management, toxic work environment
Working for UCT's Department of Communications and Marketing was a nightmare: autocratic senior management, staff members being micro-managed, long work hours, racism/discrimination and toxic work environment. Staff members who complain get victimized. The result is high staff turnover in department. UCT is a beautiful campus with great study opportunities but avoid Communications and Marketing until there's new management in place.
Pros
Fair salary, beautiful campus
Cons
Bad management, long hours, victimization
fun yet challenging
My job is very different from those of my colleagues. I have a lot of responsibilities and work. I usually work more than most staff members and I always work overtime. However from what I have observed from colleagues, working at the University of Cape Town is very satisfactory and offers a good mix of flexibility and enjoyment and is additionally appropriately challenging without the inclusion of a large amount of stress.
Pros
Flexibility, resources availability
Cons
Sometimes extra work without compensation
5,0
Fun place to work where you get to meet all the people visiting, new and old in the residence
This was basically a part time job at university. A typical workday would be 2 hours at reception, tending to the needs of the house i.e distribution of detergents and tissues. After that you would pass it on to the next receptionist. This was a good way to earn extra money, responsibility and teamwork. It was a fun job because it didn't take all of your time just enough. basically you got to meet a lot of people and this was the most fun about it. The part that was not so favourable was if the next receptionist would be late and having to cover up for them.
Pros
Basically the salary because I was in university had to get extra pocket money.
Cons
Having a shift and having a lot of schoolwork
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Cape Town. Our community is ready to answer.
4,3