University of Johannesburg Employee Reviews

interactive and fun workplace
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng20 March 2019
working as a tutor at the university of Johannesburg has provided me with experiences such as interacting and looking at issues with different points of views , communicating and operating in a diverse work place and teaching environment. it has also helped me improve my communication and leadership skills and enhance my love for teaching
1,0
Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng25 February 2019
A typical day in the office is extremely busy.I have learnt to manage my time effectively in that my work is spread out over different tasks all of which are equally urgent. The management in my department are understanding, caring and dedicated to improving the staff education. The culture is one that embeds all different cultures and people and is very open to different people and their ways of life .The most difficult part of my job is getting Academics and top management to understand Risk and accepting it as pert of their reporting process.Is dealing with people from different backgrounds and learning how to address each individual
Pros
one afternoon off per month
Cons
no overtime
Productive Environment to Learn and Grow
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA18 February 2019
I learned about time management, company culture and values. The company culture is more based on diversity, all workers are expected to respect each other differences. The most enjoyable part of my job was to have the opportunity to meet with great lectures (PhD) to discuss about projects and receive guidelines for personal development.
5,0
Productive and energetic fun workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng9 February 2019
Learned a lot of administrative work
Dealing with clients (Students)
Assisting students with applying and registration processes
Can generate student fee profoma, proof of registration, student confirmation letters, renewal of visa letter as well as academic transcripts
Pros
Free lunches
Design student
Student designer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 February 2019
The experience was a first exposure to design as Civil engineering final year student. The school organised an external company as a client to the students to design a suspended mono rail system as one of the modes of transport in South Africa. As students we were under supervision of the external supervisors, which are Qualified professionals in all specialties of Civil engineering field, as well as the professors within the University itself.

We were divided in groups. in which we have to choose between all civil engineering subdivisions that we would like to specialise in individually. I was specialising in the field of transportation and hydraulic engineering. In transportation engineering i specialised in design of vertical and horizontal curves for the rail track of the monorail system, i also did transportation planning for the system and design pavement for the depot of main stations for the parking capacity. under hydraulic engineering is designed the water suppy and sewer design by integrating to the existing infrastructure. Furthermore, i designed stormwater management and haversting system for the substations and depots as well along the track itself.

What is enjoyed the most was the integration of all engineering disciplines and interaction with other members to come with one objective that we can present and make sense out of it to the client. I learned that as engineers we need to work with each other to achieve and accomplish the objective of the project, and the exchange of ideas as well.
Pros
good interaction with other engineers, complex thinking and detailed solutions
Cons
no salary
Awesome work space
Sociology Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA28 January 2019
This is a fun and productive space for working. The resources are definitely at your disposal at all times.The support for staff is tremendous and work is super motivating.
Student Orientated
Tutor at the Law Faculty for Introduction to Law (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA25 January 2019
Academic professionalism by people who have realized that South Africa has an Education problem but instead of turning a blind eye to the problem and incidentally contributing to it by only permitting academic acceptance to students who already have an undergraduate degree - UJ seeks to bridge that academic gap through the implementation of a successful tutor base for Law Students right up until completion of the LLB Degree.
Pros
Open Minded - Professional
Cons
Not implemented in the best possible way
4,0
Productive and stimulating work environment
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA21 January 2019
To sell transportation, lodging, and admission to entertainment activities to individuals and
groups planning trips. Offering advice on destinations, planning trip itineraries, and
making travel arrangements for clients.
Pros
Free traveling
Cons
Constant need to meet client's needs
5,0
Productive and good learning environment
Postgraduate (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA19 January 2019
Excellent culture for learning and personal development. Management has a good method of driving the overall goal across all units of the institution.
5,0
Productive and interesting work place.
Temp transcriber and translater. (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng18 January 2019
Good working conditions although I was not permanently employed. Great stuff and good working conditions. I cannot say much though about the organisation because l only went there for meetings and to get work or submit work. I worked from home.
Pros
free spring water.
Cons
Long hours.

Want to know more about University of Johannesburg?

Ask a question
3,0
Not aligned with strategic direction
Executive (Former Employee) –  JOHANNESBURG, ZA16 January 2019
Lack of executive sponsorship for the function and expectations not in line with resourcing. Political and requires more leadership. Function has not kept up with developments in the field.
Pros
Good Institution
Cons
Misaligned strategic objectives vs expectations and resourcing
Productive work place
Administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng16 January 2019
University of Johannesburg is an open ended environment, you can learn more about yourself and also contribute to the future and the well being of the present environment, it promotes innovation because most of the staff are professors, and Doctors, who deal with research the environment acquires one to think out of the box.
Best Ever
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA16 January 2019
The best company I have ever worked for in my life, great exposure - Limitless opportunities, great engineering principles and there is always training for one to get better each term
Pros
Good Company with Great Intentions
Cons
No Car allowance
Challenging and empowering
Administrator/ Departmental Secretary (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng15 January 2019
my manager would not micro manage us he would do our work at our own discretion but would expect result and he would also expert us to meet the deadlines.

I learnt how to deal with difficult people.

hardest part of the job was when you assist a person with a know it attitude and yet didn't know the procedures to be followed.

I enjoyed working with different kinds of people from different works of life you get to learn a lot from everyone.
Pros
Friday Coffee
Cons
no benefits
4,0
Productive and fun place to learn and teach
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 January 2019
I was a tutor for Third year BEng. Mechanical Engineering students and my job entailed assisting students in Designing according to engineering standards. A day at work was always fun and rewarding in experienced gained.The workplace was productive to work in.

I learned that engineering student's needed guidance in report writing and the write guidance does prepare them for the work place.

The management was fair and treated every employee with care and provided room for growth.

The enjoyable part of the job was seeing engineering student's master the skills that were taught to them.
Pros
salary
Fun workplace
Commercial Law Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA2 January 2019
Interacting with students and catering for their specific needs is absolutely amazing! Makes you feel good about yourself for helping others. The working environment is friendly and support is provided.
Pros
Short working hours
Cons
Admin hours are long
4,0
Challenging,fun and team work required
Volunteer team manager (Former Employee) –  Auckland Park Kingsway Campus, Gauteng2 January 2019
Handled all the administration of players,would sometimes help the coaches set up the pitch for training. On a good day when parents have shown up in great numbers during the training sessions it was a good platform to get their opinions, complains, critics and inputs then I further took them up to senior management.

We worked as a three legged pot support system...parents,players and management. It created a unique warm culture considering the age differences and ethnicity. The greatest part was working with the young boys and hearing their thinking as well as dreams. Hardest part was the long procedures that took place in order for decisions to be made.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Late knockoff time
very productive
ADMIN ASSISTANT/RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng28 November 2018
I moved to a different position within 4 months because they allowed growth. It was a great environment to work in both socially and Business wise. People there were friendly and welcoming
Pros
Cons
no long hours
Good workplace
Co-Researcher(SARiHE) (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng27 November 2018
You would expect to work longer hours but not hectic work. you will learn how to communicate effectively and make sure that people get relevant treatment, whilst having fun doing it. you get to knock off late at times and the pay to work ratio is high.
Tutor
Student Tutor and Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng15 November 2018
Assistant to the lecturer and tutor for students. On weekdays I basically sit in the assistant labs and attend to any problems the student may have, whether they be theoretic or practical. On Friday I was an assistant to the lecturer and was responsible for marking of assignments of students that were assigned to me.