University of Johannesburg Pay & Benefits reviews

4,0
Conducive work environment and fun
Sports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 March 2019
Facility inspection and ground preparations
Club and Facility Management processes
Not the easiest to deal with
its exciting
dealing with parents and injuries
traveling and seeing your teams win
Pros
free education
Cons
long hours and no overtime
Design student
Student designer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 February 2019
The experience was a first exposure to design as Civil engineering final year student. The school organised an external company as a client to the students to design a suspended mono rail system as one of the modes of transport in South Africa. As students we were under supervision of the external supervisors, which are Qualified professionals in all specialties of Civil engineering field, as well as the professors within the University itself.

We were divided in groups. in which we have to choose between all civil engineering subdivisions that we would like to specialise in individually. I was specialising in the field of transportation and hydraulic engineering. In transportation engineering i specialised in design of vertical and horizontal curves for the rail track of the monorail system, i also did transportation planning for the system and design pavement for the depot of main stations for the parking capacity. under hydraulic engineering is designed the water suppy and sewer design by integrating to the existing infrastructure. Furthermore, i designed stormwater management and haversting system for the substations and depots as well along the track itself.

What is enjoyed the most was the integration of all engineering disciplines and interaction with other members to come with one objective that we can present and make sense out of it to the client. I learned that as engineers we need to work with each other to achieve and accomplish the objective of the project, and the exchange of ideas as well.
Pros
good interaction with other engineers, complex thinking and detailed solutions
Cons
no salary
4,0
Productive and stimulating work environment
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA21 January 2019
To sell transportation, lodging, and admission to entertainment activities to individuals and
groups planning trips. Offering advice on destinations, planning trip itineraries, and
making travel arrangements for clients.
Pros
Free traveling
Cons
Constant need to meet client's needs
5,0
Productive and interesting work place.
Temp transcriber and translater. (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng18 January 2019
Good working conditions although I was not permanently employed. Great stuff and good working conditions. I cannot say much though about the organisation because l only went there for meetings and to get work or submit work. I worked from home.
Pros
free spring water.
Cons
Long hours.
Challenging and empowering
Administrator/ Departmental Secretary (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng15 January 2019
my manager would not micro manage us he would do our work at our own discretion but would expect result and he would also expert us to meet the deadlines.

I learnt how to deal with difficult people.

hardest part of the job was when you assist a person with a know it attitude and yet didn't know the procedures to be followed.

I enjoyed working with different kinds of people from different works of life you get to learn a lot from everyone.
Pros
Friday Coffee
Cons
no benefits
4,0
Productive and fun place to learn and teach
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng14 January 2019
I was a tutor for Third year BEng. Mechanical Engineering students and my job entailed assisting students in Designing according to engineering standards. A day at work was always fun and rewarding in experienced gained.The workplace was productive to work in.

I learned that engineering student's needed guidance in report writing and the write guidance does prepare them for the work place.

The management was fair and treated every employee with care and provided room for growth.

The enjoyable part of the job was seeing engineering student's master the skills that were taught to them.
Pros
salary
Fun workplace
Commercial Law Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA2 January 2019
Interacting with students and catering for their specific needs is absolutely amazing! Makes you feel good about yourself for helping others. The working environment is friendly and support is provided.
Pros
Short working hours
Cons
Admin hours are long
UJ Arts and Culture
Usher, cashier and junior front of house manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng27 September 2018
Too much staff politics to work effectively and efficiently. Small salary increments due to fees must fall. Various colleagues that change regularly. Lack of management intervention.
Great place to be
Library Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng6 September 2018
If you like giving back to the community, this is the place for you as the compensation is not impressive. You get to interact with alot of different people from different walks of life.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Low compensation
1,0
UJ Law Clinic
Legal Advisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland Park, Gauteng29 June 2018
UJ Law Clinic - Was a great way to understand how things will work in practice. It was fun working with students from class and the public. We had to attend to our own research.
Pros
Working environment
Cons
No salary
Interesting
Mathematics Temporary Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, South Africa25 June 2018
I learned how to be very organized with work schedule, Tutoring, Lecturing, Consulting and staff meetings.
The hardest part of the Job, is Marking students Exam or tests papers, with limited time.
Pros
More Happiness in Sharing our Math Knowledge
Cons
Low salary
Productive workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 June 2018
UJ is very productive workplace, because you are able to study and work at the same time.It gives exposure to real world before you even go out there . You also get proper training .
Pros
exposure to the IT industry
Cons
salary was very low
Educational environment
Junior tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng29 May 2018
I have learn much in leadership skills from this position because you assist students with academic support, Developing appropriate lesson plans relevant to tutorials, Academic writing training, Group and one-on-one consultations with students, Academic admin- marking tutorial assignments and recording.
It has also assisted me in overcoming my fears and bettering my negotiation skills
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary
Productive and supportive
Senior Tutor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng13 February 2018
It is a good place for personal and professional development. I have the pleasure of working closely with Doctors and Professors. I learnt a great deal from them.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Very short term contracts
Finance 300 marker (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 December 2017
Good leadership skills.
Marking-related pay is sufficient.
Not long working hours and reasonable time is given to finish marking of the scripts.
Only a part-time job where a lot of exam technique is learned.
5,0
productive and fun job culture
tutor (Former Employee) –  Soweto Campus, Gauteng27 November 2017
I like to work in an environment where I feel safe and appreciated at all times. An environment where my colleagues are as hard working and friendly as I am
benefits
Productive and interesting workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 November 2017
As a tutor my responsibilities included helping students with the course content, marking assignments and invigilating assessments (tests and exams).
I learnt to work in teams and enhanced my leadership skills as well as managing a class of 180 students.
The most challenging part of the job was making sure that all the students attend tutorials and understand the course content.
I mostly enjoyed interacting with the students and helping them.
Pros
Lunch, salary benefits
Cons
Intense marking and content preparation
productive and fun work
peer mentor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng15 October 2017
I work from 08:00 to 20:00 monday- sunday, fridays are usully busy days at work. I've learn working with different clients everyday and interacting with them as well as my colleagues, giving a good pitch for a sale.
Pros
flexible lunch breaks
Productive and good atmosphere
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng10 August 2017
This is a nice institutes for working while feeling comfortable and protected. It has rules laws and polices that looks after the needs of employees and offers great benefits.
Free style workplace
Project Coordinator- Department of Nursing Science (Former Employee) –  South Africa12 July 2017
Working for UJ was of the best years of my life, excellent benefits and work-life balance organisation.

UJ cares about their employees, host great staff days, cultural days, random bonuses every now and again, excellent training courses
Pros
Excellent staff days
Cons
No advancement