University of Kwazulu-Natal Employee Reviews

2,0
Brain drain
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 July 2019
Poor work ethic in staff with very poor management and senior expertise. No job advancement possible due to political appointments. Culture in university not condusive for research or clinical excellence.
Interesting
Switchboard operator administrator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal9 May 2019
Professional environment making sure everybody gets directed properly and maintaining professionalism quite demanding but i enjoyed it my conteact ended
It is not bad
Lab Demonstrator (Chemistry Practicals) (Current Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal25 April 2019
I am not complaining about any conditions there, so it is fine, the environment is not harsh things are balanced. They pay attention to issues that arise.
Pros
Few hours
Cons
None I can think off
Intellectually stimulating environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal18 March 2019
I developed so much a researcher, and it allowed me to shape my report writing skills. Thought provoking and always made you think outside the box. Data collection and analysis was the norm.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Long hours at times
Exciting and Knowledgeable
Supplement Instructions Leader (SI) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal16 February 2019
Help students understand the topics in the module, providing solutions to problems they have regarding the module. What I learned is better communication, being able to explain a curtain thing in different ways to accommodate everyone. Time management is also one of the thing I learned since I had to organize sessions for them and be the first person in the venue. The hardest part about the Job was having to discipline students by kicking them out of class if they are misbehaving and some of them became defensive since we are almost the same age. The enjoyable part of the job was getting working experience and some extra income.
Pros
extra cash
Cons
less material
Work
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal4 February 2019
The work was fun and enjoyable. My knowledge on residence time and reactors operation were refreshed. This did not only benefit the student but also benefited the tutors.
Pros
Free time, learning experience
Necessary
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal22 January 2019
The work I have done at UKZN has enabled me to work not only with people, but to be accommodating of various personalities as well adaptive of peculiar situations. It has also taught me accountability as the work I did was also directly correlated to someone else's livelihood.
4,0
A good place to earn experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Durban14 January 2019
A typical day of tutoring would be to assist the students with material covered that week and help them solve tutorial problems. Thereafter i would conduct a short tutorial test for the material covered during the tutorial.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping other students reach their academic targets.
Pros
helping people
Cons
low pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal14 January 2019
It nice to work under university environment, you keep your networking with highly experienced colleagues. You experience different challenges from various students
4,0
Challenging, changing and growing workplace with fun and great culture.
Assistant Academic Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal11 January 2019
A typical day at work would require me to meet with students based on their availability (students that replied to an email stating they are required to see an AADO for academic counselling). I ask them questions and try find out why they performance academically is poor and then provide them with necessary support structures available to help them. They are then monitored throughout the year.

I have learnt alot working people and evaluating each individuals case and providing each person with the required help to better themselves.

The management team helps alot in terms of supporting your request to put in place more support structures you think might be beneficial to students.

The culture is not as fun given we work alot and have little to no time of interacting with others excepts the students. It a high paced environment and work comes in loads as there are alot to be completed comes end of the year.
Pros
Access to all department resources
Cons
Little pay, put in more hours than what you are paid for.
3,0
Helping other fellow students
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal13 September 2018
Assist students with setting up of survey equipment, carrying out survey tasks and with other survey related queries. it was a good experience to help other fellow students who had no survey background
5,0
It was a good experience
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal12 September 2018
I learnt a lot. I had a good time. Met new friends, who I am proud to call family. Lectures are so professional and love their work Thank you UKZN for everything. Till we meet again.
Workplace Life
Foundation and Academic Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal5 August 2018
The University os a highly diverse environment where cultures meet and a promotion of great collegiality. The management style is promotes innovation and growth of staff.
Pros
High standard
Cons
pressure to meet standard
3,0
Challenging and developing space
Tutoring and Academic Development Officers (Current Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal26 July 2018
Its a good and challenging work place, but there is lots of things to learn and add on ones frame of reference regarding academic and work in general.
Pros
consultations and support
Cons
work load that is tiring sometimes
Productive, Helps other students
Environmental & Geography Tutor (Former Employee) –  PMB Campus18 June 2018
Help can be appreciated in every way. Even though it was once a week but the students and I had our way of communicating and completing practicals with my help. It is something that one would find as an achievement when helping someone progress in life and finding out that your help actually did benefit the students.
Great For Personal Growth
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Westville, KwaZulu-Natal7 June 2018
I personally think this has a lot of learning rather than teaching.
As a student it's necessary to know how to work with people and grow your skills helping others and that's what this job entails.
Study Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Berea, KwaZulu-Natal28 May 2018
- Experience of working in a University (Tertiary institution) was enriching
- Supervisors are humble, cultured and nurture a work environment that, despite our mutli-cultural backgrounds leaves one wishing they had always worked here.
- The environment has given me exposure to new technologies and greater computer skill.
- The people and the end of a hard days work with great collegues makes my work enjoyable, but that is dampened at the end of the month by the meager salary.
Pros
I enjoyed free lunches, free tea
Cons
small salary
Productive work place
Mathematics,Statistics and Zulu (Former Employee) –  Westville, KwaZulu-Natal17 May 2018
At s a tutor and a tutor from the University of KwaZulu-Natal i have gained data analysis skills, communication, leadership and time management skills
Pros
Exposure to Data analysis workshop
Cons
Time Management
4,0
Productive and a fun workplace
Data Capturer (Former Employee) –  KwaZulu-Natal17 May 2018
checking up for errors that may be in the files you are going to capture
entering patient files into a database
cleaning data towards end of your shift
Pros
Opportunity for studying
Research activity
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal15 May 2018
• Developed an educational learning package (simulation role-play) for student nurses on HPV, cervical cancer and vaccine.
• Implemented the learning package among nursing students
• Evaluated the effectiveness of the learning package using a student satisfaction survey.