University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng29 May 2018
The university ensures that students and tutors have all the materials and equipments required for the certain laboratory experiments to be performed on the particular day
Pros
Marking and assesing hours count as working hours
Cons
non
facing your monster
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng21 May 2018
Good space to learn how capable one is.
Lot of support system.
Get to liaise with lecturers and students.
Work while studying and helps with time management.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Distance
Work hard and made tons of money.
Project Manager lead (Former Employee) –  Pretoria10 May 2018
Project was a huge success and the financial rewards were lucrative.
Learnt a lot by working with interns and having to implement procedures to monitor progress.
Pros
Repetitive work - easy to manage
Cons
Was only a 4 year contract
productive and interesting working environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 May 2018
UP was the best place to be at that time as I was a student. I learned a lot about communication skill. The university provided me with the best experience in communication and computer skill.It helped me learn about good social interactions as well as confidentiality in dealing with different people and their understanding of aspects.
Pros
teach you to learn tobalance your life
Cons
working during your lecture
Good place to work and leanr
Junior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 May 2018
It was an amazing place to work. I learnt alot about teaching and working with young people. I was also completing my Masters so it was great conducting research with the top Professors in the country.
Pros
Top Research
Great University with focus on Academics, based in unsafe environment
BSc Actuarial Science Student (Third Year) (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng24 April 2018
The University of Pretoria is an excellent university with great lecturers and an admirable passion to preserve the quality of students it produces. The Hatfield area however is not a safe place to stay.
Pros
Academic recognition
Cons
Unsafe surroundings
Working for the University of Pretoria
Administration & events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng20 April 2018
I have learned that as a consultant, people expert a lot from you,
The culture is just coming to work and leave.
The hardest part is long ques during registrations and when you have to dismiss a student who is not performing.
The enjoyable part is when my students graduate and opportunity for me to study.
Pros
Cons
45 minutes
Stressful working environment
Mathematics Lecturer (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng20 April 2018
A typical day at UP, class delivery, next step go to the tutorial session if any, then back to the office. If students wrote a test, start with the grading since in some modules there was a test almost every two weeks. The most difficult part of the job was the grading of engineering student' scripts. They were more that a thousand and we had to allocate question to each lecturer for grading.
Cons
heavy workload
Eye opening
Assistant Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 April 2018
Going to work there is a very rewarding experience as l am working in the field l am most passionate about. The people around the work environment have never for one moment made me feel unwelcome. Positive work environment.
Lots of fun, energetic and vibrant
Tuks Basketball Executive Board Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 April 2018
Typical work day would involve putting together a practice session that would help the players improve their basketball skill.

i would also meet up with the basketball executive committee to come with ideas on how to promote the sport of basketball and the TUKS culture.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive management
Cons
All Matches were either on a weekends or 8pm during the Week
Productive, friendly and fun work environment
Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 April 2018
Great job satisfaction, pleasure to work with the students and see them through to Graduation! Workplace culture was pleasant, the hardest part of the job is to see the disappointed students when they failed a subject or two but in general the staff and students made it a very enjoyable work environment.
Enjoyed working here part time
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 April 2018
Good working environment. Lovely campuses as well as lecture halls. Neat and enjoyable work place. Lovely staff and support network. Although I only worked here part time, I really loved every minute of it!
Productive enviroment
Industrial Psychology Intern (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 March 2018
Great opportunity to complete my internship and got exposure to all 6 fields required for the completion of my internship. My supervisor was helpful ans supportive.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Low salary
Very innovative and competitive space.
Tutor/Practical Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 March 2018
I have been working there for the past three years. My hours were flexible whereby I would work at most 5-6 hours a day.
Working there has taught me to balance life/work especially as a student.

Luckily,I was working older colleagues who taught me a lot of things within and without the scope of the job. Therefore even when there were difficulties on the job, I always knew who to run to.

The thing I enjoyed the most was having to work at my own flexible time because then I would set my priorities out proper.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Professional and good working place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 March 2018
Productive ,organised, professional , hard working institution. I learnt how to be professional all times in work place and keep time. Management are experienced people.
Pros
Free lunch during meetings only
Mentorships a great teaching opportunity for MSc and PhD students
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 March 2018
The UP Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences Mentorship Programme is a great opportunity to learn how to mentor another student and familiarize yourself with a more supervisory (teacher) role. Department ensures best-fit matching of mentee and mentor in order for both parties to get the maximum benefit.
fun work place
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 March 2018
my day is filled with lots o paper work, lots of reading. The company has taught me lots of patience as well as understanding of diversity.The culture is relaxed and work mates are fun to be around.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
can be very racially focused
Professional and challeging work environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng28 February 2018
Business analysis within the Department of Enrolment and Student Administration at University of Pretoria on daily basis include :

•Liaising with various business units to gather business requirements and resolve issues;
•Identifying and documenting business rules to create a central repository of business rules;
•Contributing to systems development from a business needs point of view;
•Analysing business processes and relating them into IT solutions to improve the workflow or expand systems to serve improved services;
•Providing business-enabling solutions to improve business processes
Efficient and professional
Student (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 February 2018
An engineering in general is demanding. The degree at the University of Pretoria set a high standard, but forces its students to reach their full potential.

I learnt the theory needed to be an engineer, and the work that it would require in the long run. The hardest part would be the sacrfices that needed to be made in order to pass, but the walking away with an Bachelors of Engineering degree is well worth it.
Pros
Internationally recognised degree
Cons
High standards resulted in less social exposure than desired
Relaxed environment to work in
Vacation Work Student (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng21 February 2018
Every day a lot of new concepts were learnt, which enables growth and enrichment. I strengthened my teamwork skills; how to plan and execute duties in accordance to the deadlines given. I enjoyed the open environment that my fellow colleges created, you could freely ask for assistance when in need.