University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

Working at the University
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng1 December 2019
Mostly the people are nice and approachable. Only drawback is that you work on an hour basis. If they dont have work for you, you cant work. Working with lecturers can be stressfull
Continuous Learning environment
Senior Operational Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng29 November 2019
Everyday is a new and unique day for me at work. Security environment has is vast discipline that has varient of factors to deal with on daily basis.There are crimes to deal with on deal basis, like theft, harrassments and others. Everyday I make sure that I study the crime stats and see how best ca I and the team develop new ways to counter the criminal activities.

We have developed a culture of learning at University of Pretoria, whereby we encourage everyone in management level to upgrade his knowledge and skills through studying. The most enjoyable part is when you develop the subordinates in a particular field and see them nourishing and excelling as a result of your efforts. The most exciting part at a work place is when there is an achievement of high performing team.
Busy and exciting
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng28 November 2019
A typical day at worked comprised travelling to different sites for data collection and most of the places were in the rural areas. The day would be spent engaging with the principals, teachers and grade 8 and 10 life orientation learners soliciting for data. It was also a time for learning, and this gave me the opportunity to horn my negotiating skills with stakeholders to create buy-in. I had the chance to use and learn about the open data kit which was a sophisticated data collection tool but very easy to use. Everyday after work we would meet in the hotel where we were staying for after work reporting and data cleaning as well as preparing for tomorrow's work. The management both from UP and university of North Carolina were excellent in providing support and capacity development. The management also created a very good environment of us to be able to execute our duties and be able to innovate. The most difficulty part of the job was long distances of travelling to and from work everyday and the after hours meetings. Working with people is very enjoyable especially when they are sharing the same idea with you and want to achieve as much as you are. i was very happy that we managed to accomplish all our objectives.
Working at Tuks Res was a great experiences
House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng21 November 2019
The work space was very exciting, dynamic and offered the opportunity for growth. The chance to interact with you minds was very great in that I was not only a house committee member but was a mentor to the first year students and to the seniors as well
Flexible and Fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hillcrest Campus16 November 2019
To thrive in Management field at large is the main aim. The Hospitality Industry is quite broad and is often overlooked as a non-fundamental aspect in educational institution management therefore I strive to be one step ahead by ensuring that I get information regarding other non-academic activities and get competitive advantage. Experience gained through working experience in various environments inspired me to be more passionate about this field. Responsibility and ambition accompanied by sense of excellence in whatever I do will drive me to succeed in the Management Field. I am always eager to learn with understanding. To adopt a holistic approach to leadership, this means that I not only focus on the target but also on the relationships, welfare, working conditions, and development of a team. To keep the team motivated towards achieving a common goal, instilling the values of responsibility, accountability and team spirit.
Productive workplace
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 November 2019
Setting up for practicals, and coordinating experiments for 2nd year students.I learnt a lot about Molecular biology and working with a team. watching the students grasp whats has been taught was the enjoyable part
2,0
MOLDING AND CASTING (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 November 2019
You where expected to work and make production with limited time sometimes you find there was a bit of challenge along the way to produce productivity,and the salary was not comparable to the job description
fun workplace
Asset Control Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 November 2019
I have learned telephone communication ,management is very amazing ,its easy workplace culture hardship is to deal with rude custodians. most enjoyable moment is to help professor ,doctors and deans.
Positive work experience
Full time student (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng1 November 2019
I enjoyed being able to fulfill my role as an assistant at the University while completing my studies. I did not have to work every day since it was only a part time job. The workplace culture is positive and you feel welcome.
3,0
REGISTERED NURSE, PRIMARY HEALTH CARE (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng29 October 2019
Good working environment, especially interaction with students, pity management was not so open and still racist, with promises that are never full filled and poor follow-up on grievances
Pros
Study opportunities
Cons
Racism
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Gauteng21 October 2019
excellent environment to work in. I was still a student and an employee at the same time. I learned a lot from this institution. I learned about customer(student) services and basic reports on faulty issues as well as giving the manager feedback on day today operations.
5,0
Explore in the working environment
ASSET CONTROLLER (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng18 October 2019
With asset management we get to explore the different departments in the University as a whole,we are the ones verifying and tagging of university assets.we ensure that their in the right location and also we ensure that their allocated to the right custodians and right departments.
4,0
Productive and fun working environment
Student Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Engineering 1, University of Pretoria3 October 2019
Great place to work. I worked at the Mining Industry study centre. and the work climate is just great. I had the most fun and most welcoming management, yet professional. It is a great place for students to get ready for the work environment because it teaches you a lot of responsibility and all sorts of skills.
Great to serve community
Executive committee member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng26 September 2019
It is important to serve the community and give back to others. People often do not value the importance this has on the lives of underprivileged. We need to make an impact.
Time management work place
Assistant Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng19 September 2019
The main thing for me was to teach students and mark their scripts after their test. This thought a lot especially when it comes to time management. This opportunity also thought me growth, it made me realise that when an organisation is growing it also provide jobs for more people which mean more growth for people working there.
Amazing exposure and culture
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  South Africa18 September 2019
Fantastic organization, passionate and committed to their vision and values. Culture suits those who want to be challenged, stretched and genuinely add value!
Pros
Amazing culture and team, great learning opportunities
Cons
Stressful and long hours at times
4,0
Good job, stretched my skills
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 September 2019
I was doing research on physics education, particularly how to teach 2nd year programming effectively.
I looked for different online teaching platforms and reviewed them
3,0
confidence building and improving my analytical thinking
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hatfield, Gauteng12 September 2019
it was great experience since i had the chance to interact with different students almost every week with different understanding capacity and approach.
productive working environment
SENIOR FORENSIC INVESTIGATOR (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 September 2019
The work-life balance at UP is a major advantage.
Flexible hours and generous leave makes this an employer of choice.
Challenging assignments where you can expand on your current knowledge and skills.
4,0
This is a very good environment to work in. Teaching staff is supportive and friendly.
Part-time lecturer / Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 September 2019
Yes indeed, University of Pretoria is a good institution to work in . I enjoy working with my colleagues who are more professional. They also share valuable information with me. I feel that by working for this institution, I am being developed almost on daily basis.