University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

Amazing
Psychology Tutor (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng15 May 2019
I worked with many students and helped them all to achieve their goals.
Assistant Lecturer and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 May 2019
Working as an assistant lecture was just a typical day at work. I have learned how to stand, address and lecture a group of students.

The Hardest part of the job was marking the student assignments.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Easy going culture
Acting Security Systems and Technology Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng3 May 2019
Relaxed work environment. Projects have very slow progress but expectations match the work ethic. There is a usual amount of internal politics, not completely debilitating.
Pros
Education/Training, Beautiful enviroment
Cons
no corporate pressure
Lecturer/Researcher
Lecturer/Research early childhood education (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng18 April 2019
I am responsible for research and curriculum development and improvement. I manage the early grade mathematics programme, tutor support programme, supporting at risk students, responsible for curriculum transformation, inclusive education and the inclusivity principles in the curriculum. Management is very support but lacks growth for staff.
I enjoy supervision, materials development, strategic planning for curriculum development and the improvement of quality teaching and learning.
Pros
Flexible time - not office bound, work is about deliverable and not being on campus to deliver
Fun workplace
Warehouse assistant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 April 2019
We needed support hence we were working as warehouse assistant, assisting personnel out there with removal of old furniture. So some areas are so not comfortable to work in. We need complete work suits with globes because sometimes these old furniture cut our hands.
Pros
All on you
Cons
Flexible hours
5,0
This was a part time job.
Assistant Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 April 2019
This company does not trade any more. The 2008 recession took the wind out of its sails. I really enjoyed working there but as mentioned it was only a holiday work.
wonderful working conditions
Registration assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng22 March 2019
I was only working for the University for about a month since it was a temporary thing, helping with the registration process, but i enjoyed working there, under such wonderful conditions
Pros
Free lunch at times
Cons
Yes we had to put in long hours when it was necessary.
Productive and Fun
HELPDESK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 March 2019
A typical day involves helping clients with their desktop/ laptop queries. There are times when clients need help with connecting to a network and they have trouble doing so, so you help and they think you are some computer wiz because you used Command Prompt :).
The most enjoyable part if the job is helping people with their issues. Another has to be updating/ installing new software of the desktops. I actually learnt a scripting language (powershell) while working there. Setting up desktop and networks on different campus sites.
Pros
Working with desktop hardware and software
nice workplace
assistant (Former Employee) –  pretoria19 February 2019
a great place to work. enjoyable work environment with many resources to aid teaching and support staff. new facilities and a strong focus on staff development programmes.
4,0
Interactive but experience my vary.
Assistant Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 February 2019
Your experience largely depends on the module you get assigned to and generally you get assigned to the modules you did well in, in undergrad. Generally a fun job with a lot of student interaction and a little bit of admin here and there.
Pros
On campus food and other services.
Cons
Little pay, no parking, student protests.
Professional and interesting
Freelance translator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 February 2019
I really enjoyed doing translations for the university. They are professional, pays timeously and the subject matter is always interesting and informative.
5,0
Productive and challenging yet fun
assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA13 February 2019
This university is my alma mater and I have been privileged to be a part of it and both as a student and as a lecturer. It has given me all the skills to be an apt academic
5,0
Very high standard of working plance.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 February 2019
Well organised company to work for. If you are permanent it gives you job security to work until you are 65 years. Good benefits, maternity leave, leave, sick leave, pension, medical aid, etc. The salary compared well market related.
Pros
Extra performance bonuses.
Cons
BEE related.
Innovative and team player
Senior Operational Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 January 2019
As a brief introduction, I am a competent, dynamic, highly motivated professional with fifteen years’ experience, possessing excellent communications and interpersonal skills, now seeking opportunities for personal contribution and professional growth. Working in educational environment that requires from any staff member to continuously equip, develop and educate. For this reason pursuing the possibility of a Masters Degree qualification in Forensic science and Technology. This qualification will benefit not only myself but also my institution and my community at large.
Pros
Workshops
Learning environment
Accounting Tutor (first year) (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng28 January 2019
This was very interesting. And very interesting indeed. I do not want to review this. Please do not ask me to review employers that will never show up on your job searches.
Exciting work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 January 2019
As teaching assistant you will work with a well educated lecturer and assist them with their work load. It is required that you are up to date with the subject you will tutor.
1,0
Nepotism and job reservation for management position is the game played
Ex. Employee (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng20 January 2019
The Area is Wihite dominated more especially at management positions. Unfair labour practices and lot of blameworthy working environment. Human Resource Department is the most captured unit by management. Lot of work & No bonuses.
Pros
Committed employees
Cons
Unfair treatment and lot of complains
Fun Workplace, meeting new people and Travelling
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 January 2019
It was beautiful, went to different places and the staff there is excellent. Great service, sometimes the work was a bit tricky but managed to pull through
Cons
Its Hours were good
No growth
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA11 January 2019
It is a white dominated environment with no growth potential for people of color. The salary was very low with no bonuses n less benefits.
Routine work
3,0
Fun and interesting work place
House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 January 2019
It was my first time being officially employed and so it was fun interesting and challenging. However I learnt a lot about myself, how to work with others, conflict resolution and the limitations of my skills. However, I believe that since I now have experience i will be able to do better in my next conquest
Pros
Allowance
Cons
Work life balance is hard to obtain