University of Pretoria Employee Reviews

Learning environment
Accounting Tutor (first year) (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng28 January 2019
This was very interesting. And very interesting indeed. I do not want to review this. Please do not ask me to review employers that will never show up on your job searches.
Innovative and team player
Senior Operational Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 January 2019
As a brief introduction, I am a competent, dynamic, highly motivated professional with fifteen years’ experience, possessing excellent communications and interpersonal skills, now seeking opportunities for personal contribution and professional growth. Working in educational environment that requires from any staff member to continuously equip, develop and educate. For this reason pursuing the possibility of a Masters Degree qualification in Forensic science and Technology. This qualification will benefit not only myself but also my institution and my community at large.
Pros
Workshops
3,0
Fun and interesting work place
House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 January 2019
It was my first time being officially employed and so it was fun interesting and challenging. However I learnt a lot about myself, how to work with others, conflict resolution and the limitations of my skills. However, I believe that since I now have experience i will be able to do better in my next conquest
Pros
Allowance
Cons
Work life balance is hard to obtain
No growth
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA11 January 2019
It is a white dominated environment with no growth potential for people of color. The salary was very low with no bonuses n less benefits.
Routine work
Professional and interesting
Freelance translator (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 February 2019
I really enjoyed doing translations for the university. They are professional, pays timeously and the subject matter is always interesting and informative.
Exciting work place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng27 January 2019
As teaching assistant you will work with a well educated lecturer and assist them with their work load. It is required that you are up to date with the subject you will tutor.
4,0
Interactive but experience my vary.
Assistant Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 February 2019
Your experience largely depends on the module you get assigned to and generally you get assigned to the modules you did well in, in undergrad. Generally a fun job with a lot of student interaction and a little bit of admin here and there.
Pros
On campus food and other services.
Cons
Little pay, no parking, student protests.
3,0
fun and productive place to work
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng12 December 2018
*Doing experiments and calculations
*Learned to prepare well before taking on any task, that mistakes happen and to not be afraid to start from the beginning.
*This was a voluntary position so I did not meet the management.
* Not much to talk about as I only worked with one person, my supervisor.
* Having to work 8 hours a day, Monday to Friday and not getting payed for that.
*Doing experiments, learning new things and how to use different machines in the laboratory.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Not getting payed
5,0
Very high standard of working plance.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 February 2019
Well organised company to work for. If you are permanent it gives you job security to work until you are 65 years. Good benefits, maternity leave, leave, sick leave, pension, medical aid, etc. The salary compared well market related.
Pros
Extra performance bonuses.
Cons
BEE related.
3,0
Strive to offer students best education
Full time lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA19 December 2018
I have a multiple disciplinary job - I supervise students when treating patients, I lecture, treat patients myself and do research. This could all happen in a day. I manage the roster which I love almost as much as I loved managing the dental unit where several dentists treated patients.
Pros
Work with a variety (different cultures, ages, personalities) of staff members.
1,0
Nepotism and job reservation for management position is the game played
Ex. Employee (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng20 January 2019
The Area is Wihite dominated more especially at management positions. Unfair labour practices and lot of blameworthy working environment. Human Resource Department is the most captured unit by management. Lot of work & No bonuses.
Pros
Committed employees
Cons
Unfair treatment and lot of complains
5,0
Productive and challenging yet fun
assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, ZA13 February 2019
This university is my alma mater and I have been privileged to be a part of it and both as a student and as a lecturer. It has given me all the skills to be an apt academic
5,0
Exciting and safe place to work.
Guest lecturer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 December 2018
An excellent research-intensive university with highly motivated students. The time in the office is flexible, but one needs to be always available to the students via email. The hardest part of the job is dealing with academically weak students. The best part of the job is the intellectual stimulation from the giants in your field.
Pros
Well managed organization, with international reputation.
Cons
Long workhours, too many LONG emails.
Fun Workplace, meeting new people and Travelling
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 January 2019
It was beautiful, went to different places and the staff there is excellent. Great service, sometimes the work was a bit tricky but managed to pull through
Cons
Its Hours were good
3,0
Productive and great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 November 2018
Working at the University of Pretoria has been a rewarding experience, I had the pleasure of working in the UP Arts department as first an Administrative Assistant for the University of Pretoria Symphony Orchestra and later as a Project Coordinator. This exposed me to public relations, marketing, liaising with musicians,the audience and suppliers. My interpersonal skills and negotiation skills have improved significantly.
Pros
Wonderful workplace culture
Cons
Long hours during concert season
Good relationships between colleagues
Tutor (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng26 November 2018
There are plenty of good relationships between staff members. It is an encouraging place to work as your colleagues encourage the best of you. There is also plenty of work collaboration happening.
Good for Time Management
Lecturing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng9 October 2018
Worked as a Lecturing Assistant for 1 year preparing and presenting lectures to senior students. This teaches time management especially when you run classes at night. This is a good foundation and environment for when you are still studying but would like to start building up work experience.
Pros
Experience and People Management
Cons
Time Management
3,0
A fair place to work for a student
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 October 2018
I have not many comments on this as I did not work full-time. I will say it was a relatively comfortable environment. The workload is fair and working hours acceptable.
productive
Lab Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng5 October 2018
A good experience that teaches you being in charge, working with people and applying your skills. It was very nice to place knowledge on students younger than me.
Open minded and flexible
Part time Interior Architecture lecturer (Former Employee) –  City of Tshwane, Gauteng25 August 2018
Part time work requires only a few hours at the University per week. This allows for great working flexibility. Senior staff members are open to suggestions and input from all junior members.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Permanent positions are hard to get