University of Pretoria Management reviews

3,0
A fair place to work for a student
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 October 2018
I have not many comments on this as I did not work full-time. I will say it was a relatively comfortable environment. The workload is fair and working hours acceptable.
Time consuming but rewarding
Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 September 2018
Demonstration of practicals in allocated practical times might clash with current responsibilities. Management was not very helpful all the time. Training is provided.
Pros
Rewarding experience
facing your monster
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng21 May 2018
Good space to learn how capable one is.
Lot of support system.
Get to liaise with lecturers and students.
Work while studying and helps with time management.
Pros
Networking
Cons
Distance
4,0
Lots of fun, energetic and vibrant
Tuks Basketball Executive Board Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng10 April 2018
Typical work day would involve putting together a practice session that would help the players improve their basketball skill.

i would also meet up with the basketball executive committee to come with ideas on how to promote the sport of basketball and the TUKS culture.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive management
Cons
All Matches were either on a weekends or 8pm during the Week
5,0
Professional and good working place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 March 2018
Productive ,organised, professional , hard working institution. I learnt how to be professional all times in work place and keep time. Management are experienced people.
Pros
Free lunch during meetings only
4,0
Sense of belonging to a highly respected academic institution
Faculty Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng8 January 2018
Compliance with specific requirements in assisting students and academic staff to manage their roles towards students. All aspects within the sector are covered during a lengthy process over many years during which time policies and skills are mastered.

Also less stress free periods where personal affairs and own needs could be attended to.

Management of student affairs to ensure that students are assisted in a professional manner is highly rewarding.
Pros
Sense of belonging and functioning without constant interference.
Cons
Demanding at times especially towards the conclusion of qualifications at the end of the final year.
Productive And Fun workplace
Food service supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng11 June 2017
- Our clients are student, they eat breakfast, lunch and supper every day.
- Don't argue with a client,
- Management always open for new ideas
- Clean as you go, and always on uniform
- Having 0% waste at food service is impossible
- Team work
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch (one meal per day)Two shifts
Cons
40 hours a week, weekend included
5,0
productiove and fun work environment
DATA CAPTURING (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 June 2017
learned a lot, dealing with different kinds of people, using the computer all the time. workplace is fun and exciting, great team to work with. The management is great.
Pros
1 hour lunch break and tea breaks during the day
Cons
difficult clients
5,0
challenging but I interact with many people an I enjoy it
control room operator (Current Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng19 April 2017
I enjoy so far but I need to grow,i interact with different people,very challenging job but learning a lot out of it.it teaches the high level of discipline and working very hard
Pros
management have time ti listen to employees and act on any issues
Cons
understaffed at our dept
Student Leadership
House Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 March 2017
This student leadership experience allowed for the personal advancement of House Committee members in areas such as interpersonal management and event organisation,
Pros
Leadership experience
Cons
No line between personal life/job
4,0
Great team work, had lots of fun
Lab - Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng17 February 2017
The team was great and I had lots of fun. We were encouraged to take our work and education very serious and the management made sure we don't work too much overtime so that we can have enough time for our books.
Pros
Great team and decent salary
Cons
too much descrimination from top management
3,0
Part-time contract:Updating a backlog of applications for funding.
Study Finance assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 February 2017
Receiving and making sure that all students applying financial assistance submit the correct documentation and updating their files on the computer system, explaining to students why they have to submit certain documents,updating the system so that management can determine how many students looking to enroll still need financial assistance from the government student funding scheme.
Pros
Own office, free lunch
Cons
Working with students who do not understand that they cannot just arrive and apply, They have to follow procedure
2,0
n/a
Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng16 January 2017
n/a - The University culture is changing (which is not all bad). The entire Higher Education Industry is changing and financial pressures are more and more
Productive place
Senior Admin officer (Former Employee) –  Project Management department13 January 2017
Placing orders, taking munites and answering and transferring calls
I learned how to work with different cultures
Management involved in staff growth
Friendly and a good team of co-workers
Assisting Project Managers allocate funds and aply for funding
Being send for courses to enhance me
Pros
Team building
Cons
Not being able to help everyone at once
4,0
Demanding workspace that provided a positive challenge.
Assistant Orchestra Manager (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng18 December 2016
I would typically deal with basic administrative affairs of managing the orchestra and assisting the manager. I learned how to work hard and efficiently and how to engage with different personalities. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the demands from a management side. I enjoyed the challenge of deadlines.
Team work
Administrative Officer-Student accounts (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 December 2016
In the Student Accounts division, we always work as a team on the daily basis. Working in the team has taught me that work is completed faster if it is shared and my colleagues provide assistance where needed. We are able to meet the deadlines. The management approves of the work and pushes for targeted deadlines.
5,0
Productive and fun workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng4 October 2016
We registered students at the beginning of the academic year. I learned how to be an administrator and how to communicate with the students, which were our clients. Management was fair and just. There was good camaraderie amongst co-workers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with long queues of clients that need to be serviced. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Meeting new people daily
Cons
Travelling from one campus to the next
Productive and fulfilling
Bursaries & Loans Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng13 May 2016
University of Pretoria (UP) is a fast paced and dynamic environment especially in the directorate of student funding whereby we have to allocate funding and adjust each funding according to donor specifications.
The main purpose of the job is to facilitate funding such as bursaries and loans to enrolled student at University. The job is categorised into four parts per quarter whereby first quarter is focused on dealing with student application process, processing of applications.

Quarter two is focused on assisting student with registration arrangement mainly financially needy and academically deserving student.

Quarter three is focused on allocating funds to the student accounts, assist the with signing of contracts, payment of allowances for meals, transport and accommodation.

Quarter four is focused on payments of accounts, finalising of accounts, validation of awards, monitoring and controlling of pay-outs.

I have learned to deal with people from a diversified background, multitasking, professionalism and selflessness. Furthermore, I learned financial management through allocation of funds, communication skills, work independently and as well as a team player, resolve issues in an amicable manner and to be considerate in handling enquiries.

The hardest part of the job is to inform student that they have been declined for financial assistance.

The most enjoyable is allocation of funds, seeing happy faces and getting to register and hosting of private sponsors e.g. Eskom, REAP etc.
Pros
Study benefits
Cons
Office layout
4,0
It is a well resourced, productive and enjoyable place to work at.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Onderstepoort, Gauteng29 April 2016
My mentor and I plan a day ahead what I will be busy with the next day. Upon arriving at work I report to my mentor, ask her if she needs help with anything. Do lab work, if I have any.
I have learned to plan ahead, be proactive, be dependable, networking and take interest in other people's work and not be self absorbed.
The management is hard working, efficient and easily approahable but there is also room for improvement. My co-workers are fiendly and caring people, they treat each other with consideration and respect like brothers and sisters.
The most hardest part of the job is dealing with different people with different attitude sometimes, it helps not to take their attitude to heart and not allow them to spoil my day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that each day I get to learn a new thing or skill which broaden my knowledge and develop my mind. Also the social events they have once in a while
1,0
My workolace is just productive as we learn a lot from student and staff of the University.We keep each other updated in all different campuses.
OPERATIONAL SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 April 2016
A day at is always stress free
I learn different types of people
Management very helpfull and commited
Very alert and cooperative
Negligence by staff and student
Always willing to learn
Pros
Only takes lunches on my own times
Cons
Always working long hrs and to avoid shortage