University of South Africa (UNISA) Employee Reviews

2,0
This institution is a very powerful tool, where you can learn the educational field and the secolar world
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape10 July 2019
Working for Unisa is the most wonderful opportunity I ever had. I really grow from strength to strength and the working experience I gain is a bonus. Working for Unisa really boost my Outlook regarding life. I ve started to work at the information desk, later on I work in the call center, and I was also doing assignments statistics and filing. I really gained a lot of knowledge and working experience. I am a fixed term worker praying to be permanent. Because working is a stepping stone towards my future.
Pros
Free events
Cons
Reasonable hours
Fun work
Student Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng6 May 2019
Working at the university hard work because you deal soo much private documents

I learned to be on time, work under pressure and to meet deadlines
Pros
enjoyed
Cons
7am to 7pm
Productive and organized company
Despatch Picker (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, sunnyside5 May 2019
This was my first professional company and I didn't have an idea as to how a Manufacturing company function. I learned a lot about the day to day running of a company and also applying the theories I learned in industrial engineering course practically.
Pros
Free lean manufacturing workshops
A rewarding experience
Freelance translator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng14 February 2019
Unfortunately my experience was limited to only translating one study guide. Due to Afrikaans being removed as language of instruction, opportunities are very limited.
5,0
The place was productive and there was too much to learn
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mthatha30 January 2019
I loved working for the University of South Africa I assisted many students with disadvantageous academic background who are computer illiterate and love working with people more especially assisting them even choosing a suitable qualification I learned more about the Unisa student system at met the Universities top management I set and shared my views on how other issues such as student funding must be addressed working at Unisa is my heritage. The work place culture was greet students with a smile and have a resilient and a welcoming heart.

The Job was not hard but rather too much one can imagine how many students come to register at the University of South Africa and we had to assist all those students. Sad part was when a student could not be admitted because of not qualifying or when a student is academically excluded for non performance those are the sad moments.

The enjoyable part is when you see students that were in despair and you assisted them to excess higher learning and financial aid through applications.
Pros
It was always a pleasure to work at Unisa
Cons
had to balance work with school
3,0
E-Tutor for End User Computer (EUC1501) (Former Employee) –  Durban, KwaZulu-Natal17 January 2019
Work Online with +/- 200 students from around and outside South Africa.

Learned how to manage students online and ensure their productive participation in forums in different discussions.
Pros
Support from institution
Cons
Less students partaking during discussions
5,0
I wish to provide service to the community consistent with the mission and vision of the company
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA3 December 2018
A willingness to keep up to date with developments in new technology.
Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and customers.
strategic and operational level
Service Transition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng28 November 2018
My present career aim is to work within IT because I enjoy working with computers, I enjoy the environment and I find the work interesting and satisfying. The opportunity to learn new skills and work with new technologies is particularly attractive to me. I have learnt ability to help identify where changes need to be made in the strategies used by the company and to help implement the necessary changes. I have gained skills to evaluate any requests for changes and to identify any risk associated with the change, in order to determine if the request should be approved or rejected.
Pros
coaching employees through the change process
Cons
implementing change initiative projects
5,0
Professional and ethical work environment
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pretoria28 September 2018
Excellent working environment. Staff is given opportunity to grow academically. Challenging aspect is teaching large classes but students have good manners.
Pros
free medical
Cons
short leaves
Productivity and Management
Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng5 September 2018
Working for the University is good experience that I will always treasure as I learned a lot about teamwork and working independent, as well as working under pressure and ensuring that good results or outputs are reached. I learned a lot about assisting customers, being Professional at all times. It was easy approaching management and being open about ideas you want to share and it was motivating.
Pros
working with clients you never stop learning.
Cons
working on weekends
Contractors are not appreciated
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Richards Bay, KwaZulu-Natal22 April 2018
Lack of support from management to resolve financial claim process/ queries regarding late or outstanding payments.

Quality of services rendered to students is sometimes of poor standard.
Pros
Part time employment allows for flexibility between work/ family commitments, Mentoring students whom are eager to grow and develop self
Cons
Set curriculum to be completed within short timeframe, Content of workshops is rushed and comprises quality of education.
4,0
Very friendly and close knit family of people who worked very well together towards deadlines and targets.
Regional Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg , South Africa.12 February 2018
A typical day at the office would basically start off with a morning meeting to set daily targets and report back on looming deadlines. Processes for the day would involve a multitude of tasks ranging from setting up meetings to dealing with students face to face including the preparation and dissemination of any information gathered through a rigorous administrative process which would end off with filing of documents accordingly. Time management is of utmost importance but what made it worthwhile was the culture of client satisfaction which we felt every single student deserved.
the hardest part of our tasks were getting regular attendance out of the students to ensure a positive result at the end of every semester. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the pass rate of the subjects on offer increase steadily every semester making our efforts pay off.
Pros
Beautiful working environment and the availability of resources
Cons
Long hours and very little compensation.
Productive and fun workplace
Lecturer/SeniorTutor (Former Employee) –  Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal17 January 2018
My review would focus on the professionalism of the staff, good management, excellent teamwork, productive workplace, fun and friendly environment. I have learnt to coordinate work with my colleagues in the production of teaching and learning materials and co-produced teaching materials.
Productive and stimulating
Financial Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 January 2018
review daily sales, reconciliation of sales and creditor's payments
to work independently on financial administrations
to manage staff from different cultures.
Pros
Free lunch and studies
Cons
Balanced
Satisfying work environment
IS Auditor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 June 2017
. Meeting clients for audits
. I learned more about data analysis
. Accumulated more leadership skills
. Improved work ethics
. I enjoy meeting different people
Pros
Conjusive study environment
Cons
Noe
4,0
Despite the disadvantages of distance education, Unisa plays a significant educational role in South Africa.
teacher, University lecturer, researcher (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng15 March 2017
Unisa is a mega distance education institution. Lecturers mostly compile study material and mark students' assignments. During semester examinations exam scripts are marked and student marks processed. Group discussion classes take place at student centers in various cities. There students get the opportunity to meet their lecturers. During the 27 years that I taught at Unisa, I learned to have empathy with students who have to study on their own. Management at this institution is demanding and full of challenges.With a student number of 336 000 you need to plan all the time. Although "live" students are mostly absent, there is an atmosphere of intellectual curiosity among lecturers and the academic conversation is important. The hardest part of the job is to assist students who do not possess the required skills to study with success. But there are also rewards; one of them is to notice how students have improved over time, making you feel that your hard work was not in vain.
Pros
Sufficient opportunities for doing research.
Cons
A substantial number of students are not ready and well equipped for university study.
5,0
Fun place and very productive
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape15 February 2017
I had a lot of fun working for the University of South Africa, it was a short period, but i learnt a lot, dealing with students is part of hobbies, i had fun, also I had an exposure to work in Finance Department as a Cashier, If i can be given another opportunity to work for UNISA i will gladly grab it with both hands
Pros
free lunches
5,0
The university of south africa is the best place to work in
temporary administrator (Former Employee) –  Pretoria head quarters9 February 2017
I would come in the morning and attend to students, because we find find them already in the line, hoping to get assistance from NSFAS, and I will start helping them to fill in NSFAS application forms, and there must be accuracy in filling in the forms because we were dealing with money, the hardest part of the job was when the student is rejected by the system, meaning NSFAS wont be giving them money to study that year, and that would be hurtful to see the disappointment on their faces, and in that job I have learned how to be professional all the time because I was representing the university of south Africa, and the management there was excellent, and the workplace culture was also on point
Pros
half day on pay day
Cons
when nsfas reject students
4,0
At Unisa you can make a difference
Professor in History (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng30 January 2017
Unisa was established with a mission: to bring the lecture room to those who can't afford full-time study. Through the years many dedicated lecturers have applied themselves to help students.

Writing study material and marking assignments form an integral part of a lecturer's daily task. But there are also other interesting academic activities such as seminars and workshops. It is a busy place.

An institution with such massive student numbers requires extremely skillful management. And at the same time the challenge of keeping up with new developments - educational and technological - must be addressed. This is arguably the hardest part of the job.

The most rewarding part of working there is the satisfaction to see how you have improved the knowledge and insights of students who have matured under difficult circumstances.
Pros
Working in a stimulating environment, with opportunities to do research and improve your qualifications.
Cons
Administrative burdens have increased over the years.
3,0
informative and fun
Part-time tutor (Current Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng2 November 2016
i love sharing knowledge with people and this has given me that platform to teach and learn in the process. no man knows it all.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
long hours of research