University of the Free State Employee Reviews

5,0
Keep up the good relations with all stakeholders
Assistant Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State3 December 2019
I would love to continue be part of the University of the Free State and achieve bigger goals with it, for sure by getting the University ranked number one in the county.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State3 December 2019
I was really great to work at the University. I learned to work with different kinds of students with different backgrounds. I developed a lot of self confidence and work on my communication skills and interpersonal skills. Also learned to work in a team.
productive
Part Time Panel Examination (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State2 December 2019
i am tutoring to the sign language students
i am examine to the students during exam
i am teaching to the students about the Deaf culture, Alphabet, and other basics in sign language
5,0
University of free state is a university that promotes excellence
community engagement manager (Former Employee) –  Free State24 November 2019
I will recommend that most of the young South African matric to apply to study at the university of free state, for the do higher their own students in order to promote employment and empowerment students.
5,0
Staff members who became family
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State22 November 2019
The Department of Business Management gave me the opportunity to grow as a young working individual. I was given a lot of room to improve on areas where my skills fell short. Great place to work.
4,0
I really enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phuthaditjhaba, Free State30 October 2019
I enjoyed the company culture and values with pride working for such a company There was excellent management Training and Development with a fun work environment.
Strong work ethic
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State16 October 2019
Very professional and the people there are very friendly. if you are struggling with something collegues will step in and try to come up with solution to the problem.
3,0
Proud to be associated with the University and my Department particularly
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State21 August 2019
Typical Day: Classes en meeting up with postgraduate students
What I have learnt: To be more sensitive and non-judgemental
Workplace culture: My current department is near to perfect, the University as a whole needs to revisit what they stand for beyond the issues that have plagued them in the past
The hardest part of the job: No recognition for my efforts
Most enjoyable: Working with intelligent young people
Innovative and flexible
Student (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State10 August 2019
As a student learn to work hard, long hours and to love what I am doing. I worked with different people from a different place, ethic group and I learned how to speak loud and clear. I am now a critical thinker because of the experience gained as a student. The most things I liked was gathering information from a different source when doing the assignment which assesses my perform.
5,0
The work situation was fun and interesting as development is also my passion to see someone developing from one level to another level due to my inter
Trainer and assessor (Former Employee) –  Free State23 July 2019
My duties was to coach small and medium businesses enterprise managers in all aspects of the business. Like helping them in developing the business plan, sales and to manage their management skills so to grow from 1st economy to 2nd economy due to my intervention. I fee proud not only by getting a salary bt also to see people developing theiranage
Pros
organising workshops for them
Cons
Going extra mile in work to help the organisation to reach its objectives
Workplace Culture
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State18 July 2019
There is minimal to little structure in several departments. Additionally understaffing is a huge problem which results in overworked staff who develop negative attitudes.

The institution does offer opportunities for skills development and study benefits to staff which are incredibly useful in ones personal and career growth (especially because fees are expensive).

If you know your purpose and your job and are also willing to step outside of your box, there are opportunities for collaboration and for learning from colleagues and other divisions.
Pros
Study Benefits
Cons
Favouritism and Students ALWAYS come before staff
1,0
Tenacious and Good ethics
Assistant Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State15 July 2019
I am a B.Com Accounting graduate from the University of the Free State (UFS). If you are looking for someone who understands determination, hard work, and goal-setting, here I am ready to prove and push myself to the limit. Being a perfectionist means I take pride in everything I do, both professionally and personally.

In 2017, while pursuing my Honors in B.Com Accounting, I was appointed as the Prime of Legae Residence at the South Campus of the UFS. Meanwhile, I held a job as a Lab Assistant at the university’s Department Information and Communication Technology (ICT). This experience sharped my multitasking skills and taught me to prioritize, although they affected certain aspects of my academics.
During my years of study, my value for ethics was made stronger. Academics strengthened my ability to carry out tasks according to the book, while also practicing creativity. In addition, interacting with colleagues at the ICT lab assisted me to become a better team player. These experiences, coupled by my year in leadership, as a Prime, deepened my belief in loyalty when one is called to serve.
When it comes to strengths, my flexibility to handle change is commendable. Being a Finance Assistant Intern at the UFS’s Department of Communication and Marketing for the past year has taught me to adapt in a transforming institution, work systematically and in an organized fashion in order to deliver outputs on time. This fast-paced environment requires one to work well under pressure, and that is exactly what I have done.
Also, I consider being a tenacious individual as one of
  more... my other strengths. Reason being, this character trait translates to discipline and dedication in the workplace  less
Pros
Free spirited
Cons
Extra hours
Challenging, complex and fast-paced
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein9 June 2019
The Higher Education Sector in South Africa has seen rapid changes and transformation during the past five years. The #feesmustfall movement and influence of political parties on campuses have placed management in a different position to its former/traditional role. I have grown tremendously as a person and as a leader because of the challenges and complexity involved.
Pros
Intellectually stimulating
2,0
Where I was working there where challenges like at any other workplace but what i can tell is team work is crucial, it bring success and good communic
I am a workaholic and straight talker (Former Employee) –  Free State19 May 2019
From all these fields I have worked within ,I have noticed that there are always good days and sour days. Facing long hours, sometimes disagreeing on ideas, not having solution to some problems, not being sure of your ideas. When things are not adding up, losing crucial information, power cuts while working ,but at the end we achieve our goal. Good days for me within these work fileds were that, I was able to make some of decisions,creating ideas, assisting students who were computer illiterate, assisting students to get school even though they didn't receive bursary but I was able to advise. Working with different tools, like now as graduation assistant I was working with laminating machine, packing invitation cards such experience grows you somehow and motivates you in a way you see that anything is possible only if you put your mind to it. And I have learned that as individual you can't focus onay on your job description but you familiarize yourself with other tasks within the environment of work, in that way you allow skills and growing your potential. But I really love good days shame, they brought success and joy, you know the feeling of seeing your superiors happy because of your work it's a blessing from the sky and you must embrace that.
Pros
Bought lunch, receiving overtime money
Cons
Long hours, not getting paid as promised and they will say its because of HR
3,0
Good space for entry into the work place and for establishing oneself
Junior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State15 May 2019
The University of the Free State prides itself in development of staff and students. It has been an amazing space for me to work at. With colleagues from other divisions and departments working together.
benefits
Enjoyable work environment
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State10 May 2019
My typical day at work is all about focusing on servicing people and having happy and satisfied clients at the end of the day. I have learnt that quality service can never be compromised at anything, and constantly developing yourself to match the demands of almost everyone is key. The hardest part of my job is that it sometimes get challenging to priorities everyone at the same time and the most enjoyable part is I learn everyday.
Pros
Reasonable working hours.
Cons
Limited growth career opportunities
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Free state27 April 2019
Working there I learned a lot about academic and how to work with students and other people in the work place. It was a great experience for me and very knowledgeable.
Pros
Contractual
Cons
Normal hours
3,0
Productive and effective work place
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State23 April 2019
As an educational institute I have been in the service of the University Free State for the past 23 years. I have many opportunities to attend courses and better myself. I do embrace diversity and equality. I am easy to get along with, is hard working, loyal and friendly. I have been involved with the marketing, social and other activities within the division. I have very good relationships with my colleagues, students, companies, and their representatives. Unfortunately there is no chances of promotion as I am a support staff member. I have been in the same position for 23 years. I typical day involves taking phone calls, messages, creating orders, handling invoices, emergency meetings and also welcoming new visitors and students. I arrange accommodation, vehicle rents, flights, daily allowance and claims for trips overseas as well as local. I manage the administration of two offices at times and receive good reviews regarding my skills and how I do handle it. The hardest part of the job is to have the time to assist each and every one of my colleagues and our students, because I am an assistant and it is what I love to do. The most enjoyable part is to see the difference that I do make in my daily job and for others.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
no promotion
Educational Experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein22 April 2019
Allowed for a balance in training to balance curriculum work and extra curriculum work. Hardest part was adopting theory into practice whilst simultaneously incorporating contemporary tech and media developments.
4,0
It's a very good institution
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State8 April 2019
I University of free state is amongst the best in the whole world which anyone would love to work at and come with some new ideas if only I can be given that chance
Pros
Free lanch