University of the Free State Employee Reviews

3,0
Good space for entry into the work place and for establishing oneself
Junior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State15 May 2019
The University of the Free State prides itself in development of staff and students. It has been an amazing space for me to work at. With colleagues from other divisions and departments working together.
benefits
Enjoyable work environment
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State10 May 2019
My typical day at work is all about focusing on servicing people and having happy and satisfied clients at the end of the day. I have learnt that quality service can never be compromised at anything, and constantly developing yourself to match the demands of almost everyone is key. The hardest part of my job is that it sometimes get challenging to priorities everyone at the same time and the most enjoyable part is I learn everyday.
Pros
Reasonable working hours.
Cons
Limited growth career opportunities
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Free state27 April 2019
Working there I learned a lot about academic and how to work with students and other people in the work place. It was a great experience for me and very knowledgeable.
Pros
Contractual
Cons
Normal hours
4,0
It's a very good institution
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State8 April 2019
I University of free state is amongst the best in the whole world which anyone would love to work at and come with some new ideas if only I can be given that chance
Pros
Free lanch
5,0
Way to gain some experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State28 March 2019
A typical day at work would be help student having difficulties understanding some programming languages and problem solving. I learned to solve problems and patience. Overall, management and workplace culture was great as I was working closely with lecturers who had a lot of knowledge in the area. The enjoyable part was helping students achieve their dreams.
Pros
Time to study
3,0
The learnig are is producative and fun as we are able to learn about how to become excellent teachers in future.
Student Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State24 March 2019
I have learned that education is important as we learn new things every day. The worklod in ufs is difficult to manage as we are not given enough time to do it. The teaching is based on the theory an all learners are treated fairly and accomodated acording to their learning abilities.
Pros
There are no lunches at ufs
Cons
It takes a lot of time to study and attend classes
valuable experience
(Program for Academic Student Success) Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State18 March 2019
The work culture was amazing, everyone got along well and it was a multi racial group. We worked as a team and also individually. There were campus initiatives we presented to the student, so it was fun and work at the same time.

The typical day will be capturing data on the system, answering calls, appointments with student.

What I learnt is what was happening behind the scenes at our university. I saw the measures the institutions put in place so that the student may do well. My crises management skills improved, because I had to resolve any issue before attempting to refer to someone else.

The management was not too involved in our project, although they required us to keep updating them. They offered the necessary support that was need for us to do our work.
Pros
Free food and goodies
Cons
Too many responsibilities
Relaxed atmosphere in a Library
TEMPORARY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein18 February 2019
It was a easy job in a very relaxed atmosphere. I worked in shifts between 08h00 and 22h00 at night. I worked under good management.
During examination periods the shifts would cover 24 hours of the day. The working environment was safe.
tutoring
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  QwaQwa, Free State12 February 2019
tutoring students was fun but you would stand up for 5 hours. Most of the time you'd even teach them even when the lecturer was there. Marking was not really fun because you had a time line
fun work space
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State25 January 2019
Multi cultural and bilingual with lots of learning opportunities.
Loving and caring staff.
Feels like a family.
Strict on discipline.
Overall good experience.
5,0
Residence Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Soetdoring Residence30 November 2018
Working for the University has been an honor for me as I have been taught how it would feel like being in the workspace. Typical day included setting up a meeting with my Residence head, sorting out finances for the month and assisting my fellow colleagues.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
The emotional trauma that goes with someone trying to commit suicide, having a student depend on you to provide a plan for them to study without any financial aid.
challenging
RESIDENT COMMITTEE MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State21 November 2018
As an Rc, it required a lot of work and also as a leadership role.It teaches dealing with people is a lot but very educating.I love the culture because it challenges you to grow as a leader
3,0
my collegues were very fun to work with
mentor (Current Employee) –  Free State15 November 2018
Even thhough it sometimes becomes hard for me to juggle both school and work at the same time, because I am self motivated i never slack at my job. At my workplace our supervisor always motivates to trat each other and our fellow first years as family so we can have a healthy workng enviroment
Pros
free lunch
Cons
juggling between school and work
Job current review
Senior Professional officer/Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Phuthaditjhaba - Free State, South Africa12 November 2018
Organisational structure is excellent, culture and diversity are embraced. There is nothing I hate about the job. I just want to challenge myself with a new work environment.
Productive and Fun Experience
Bookkeeping and Distribution (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State29 September 2018
I got the opportunity to apply at a recruitment agency in Kellner Bloemfontein of which this agency called me back informing me that the University of the Free State would need helpers to assist the Xerox department with the book distribution and allocation to the students. This was a maximum 2 week job of which I worked all the days I was hired for checking the students, student cards, checking their registered courses, which books they would be needing, collecting the books and ensuring that the student receives their study material upon registrations.

This experience was fun and taught me resilience. I am more outspoken, I love working in teams, meeting new people everyday and engaging on bettering the community. I regarded that has playing my part and also learning from the various seniors I met with, their work ethic, professionalism irrespective of the position.
5,0
Productive and work space open to creativity
Junor lecturer (Former Employee) –  university of the free state26 September 2018
would like to allowed to express my creativity. The University of the free state allowed me that space. The Enke company was enjoyable in a sence that we reached out to the community.
Pros
free lucbh
5,0
Flexibility and the opportunity to learn
Academic Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Free State22 September 2018
I worked 5 hours every day teaching first year students and extended program students mathematics. I had great experience working with students while I was completing my second honours degree.
Pros
Work benefits
Cons
No compensation for extra work
Place of learning
Student Representative Council, Secretary General (Former Employee) –  Phuthaditjhaba, Free State5 September 2018
Beautiful place to persue higher education with an exciting Student culture and also opportunities open to students who study there. Open to diversity and have a unique culture
4,0
Relaxed and motivational place to work at
Office Manager (contracted for 1 year) (Current Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State27 August 2018
A typical day at work is ensuring that the admin side of the Centre is up to date and handled accordingly. Time management is also effective. Great benefits.
Pros
Studying for free
Cons
Sometimes very demanding
Interesting place to work
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloemfontein, Free State7 August 2018
No routine. You determine your own day. I have learned that time management is crucial in success. The management allowed us to make mistakes and to learn from it. The workplace culture is multi cultural with lots of understanding for each other differences.
The hardest part was to keep the team motivated. To achieve success in the various experiments were the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Flexible working hours