University of the Western Cape Employee Reviews

flexible
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 June 2018
Meeting new people and being able to learn from them. The people at the university are genuely nice and welcoming, this creates a nice working environment.
Pros
flexible
Cons
salary isnt very satisfactory
Nurturing environment
First year Business Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 May 2018
I was working part-time as a student.I had to execute my tasks without supervision.Since I was a student I had to balance both the time I commit to my school work and the time I worked.It was an interesting and nice experience which helped me a lot in completing my B SC in Computer Science.
It was a fun workplace
Micro and Macro Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 May 2018
I would go to campus and prepare myself to tutor either 1st or 2nd year Microeconomics or Macroeconomic students. What i have learned was that students pay attention to you if you manage to make real life examples with them. The culture at campus was more of a learning type of culture. Sometimes students can become very difficult with the questions they pose to you and that was hard for me. On the other hand, i enjoyed every minute with them knowing the impact i had on these students lives.
Pros
I worked whatever hours that best suites my dayly schedule
Cons
Some students made is hard for me to tutor, especially those ones that did not take the studies very serious
Lecturer (B. Nursing Programme) (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Cape Town21 April 2018
A typical day at UWC starts with meetings or academic lecturing. Lecturing involves undergraduate and post-graduate lectures.

I learned that working in the Higher Education arena is very challenging but also very rewarding.

The management at UWC is very supportive (especially the Head of the Nursing Faculty).

The hardest part of my post (that of Clinical Coordinator for the 4th year undergrad students) was that the students can be very challenging at times, on issues that are non-academic in nature.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the post-graduate students and their studies, especially the proposal defence meetings.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too many undergrad students on the B programme; limited available clinical facilities.
Fun work-space
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape3 April 2018
You attend meetings about the work required for the following week. Submit marks at the end of the week and provide administrative support. You learn interpersonal skills.
Pros
flexible hours
N/a
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape18 February 2018
This job really taught me all about Administration and how important it is to pay attention to detail. In this job I learned how to work under pressure (not without failure) but I did enjoy working and studying at the same time.
Very Dynamic, Ever changing
Experiential Training - PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape13 February 2018
I had to absorb so much in the 3 months I did my experiential training and was exposed to so many processes from minute taking to implementation and budget control

The work place culture was very much process driven.
Work in Progress
Junior Lecturer -University of Western Cape (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 February 2018
A good place to work and to grow. Staff are very concerned and caring. I learn all the time and there are always challenges that one needs to over come. The most enjoyable part is the fact that nobody really gets angry or abrupt as more than likely they are your research supervisors.
Pros
Very compatible working environment
Cons
limited advancement
Productive work space
Intern Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 January 2018
Great Therapeutic staff members. Manager was excellent, and caring. Work and private life balanced well. I had benefited and learned a lot from my seniors.
Pros
Free lunches and outings
Cons
different departments in one space cause tension at times
Too short to judge
Internship (Former Employee) –  Forensic DNA lab UWC16 January 2018
Was not much to be done so cannot judge. It was not a paying Internship as well, was doing it for Lab experience. The head of the Lab is an accomplished scientist.
Research led institute
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town9 January 2018
Excellent Science Faculty but new Rector seems to have no clear vision. Most academics care more about creating their own platforms rather than student needs.
Pros
Flexible academic context
Cons
heavy teaching loads
Productive workingplace
In-service-trainee (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 December 2017
It is a well organised University. The supervisor I was working with is very knowledgeable and a great lecturer which allowed me to grow tremendously.
Educational and productive place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellville South, Western Cape5 December 2017
Its a place with lots of diverse cultures that is full of life. I have learnt to work in a group situation and individual. Independence is the most skill you get.
Fun
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 December 2017
fun, outgoing pleasant and easy working environment.
The staff and the work was easy to do and enjoyable.
I really did love working and being part of that team at that time
It was a learning curve of growth and independency
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape30 November 2017
It was a great experience,where I learned a lot working with different race,believes.Our managers were very supportive and making sure we know what to do and every information they gave us was clear ,so we knew what to do.
Pros
food was free, training was provided
Cons
long hours, wages went straight in paying tuition
Fun workplace
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape11 November 2017
Researching is my passion and as a first time researcher I was over my head. I ENJOYED doing research and seeing the outcomes from the experimental procedures we carried out was such a reward and the feeling was great.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Travelling
Place to Grow
Senior Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape8 November 2017
Being employed as a senior lab assistant take a good responsibility, because i am in love with technology and computer gadgets I learned a lot about software updates. On daily bases we open up computer labs and assist students who need assistance with computer basics. The ability of working overtime knowing that what you are doing was a dream you grew up hoping to achieve is priceless. The only hard part is when the institution deducts 80% of the salary so that you can pay your fees. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely doing computer maintenance.
Pros
Working on Software upgrades
Cons
80% deduction through work-study
It was productive working there
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Cape Town, Western Cape20 October 2017
Working at the University was great. The management is good to work with. They understand if you can not come to work. I had to stop working there since l am no longer a registered student. Now l am looking for any kind of available job.
Productive and fun workplace.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  University of the Western Cape11 October 2017
Tutoring is quite fun. I'm a facilitator of education so I interact with students on a daily basis. I also have to grade them on there performance. Everyday I learn something new from my students that I was not aware of before. So it's a continuous learning procedure. Management at the university is good and the culture is great as they value us as tutors studies as well
Pros
Continuous learning environment
Cons
Entails a lot of admin apart from teaching.
Enjoyable and growing
Fun and engaging (Current Employee) –  Cape Town,Bellville9 October 2017
I am a energetic individual, I enjoy interacting with people and students .In my tutoring we normalyl meet an hour prior the actual tutorial session with student. During the meeting we all discuss the worksheet and go through it so that if one of us don't understand something they can understand. Later we meet with the student evaluate their attempts give them marks accordingly and engage in the learning process for them helping the grow their level of understanding in that particular concept that we dealing with on that day.
Pros
Flixibility
Cons
poor management