University of the Western Cape Employee Reviews

5,0
A wonderful work environment.
Commercial law lecturer (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape4 January 2019
Commercial law lecturer at the Faculty of Law at the University of the Western Cape. A strong culture of learning and empowerment - the Faculty has an unwavering focus on the holistic development of students.
Pros
Excellent centre of learning.
Cons
None that I can think of.
2,0
Can't give - not working at the campus
Data Capturer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 December 2018
Learnt a lot about the Waste economy and its various nuances and trends.
Payment is made per survey captured, however 2 different types of surveys were done and the payment per survey was not in line with the time it takes to do them, eg. the short survey took about 20 minutes to capture, whereas the long one took anything up to 3 hours, due to the nature of the survey and answers given, besides deciphering the handwriting
Time for capturing did not take into account the length answers, which varied from one business to the next.
Payment structure too much red tape, payment not made when billed, have to wait 2 weeks to a month for payment to be made.
Hardest part of job - deciphering illegible handwriting.
Flexible Hours
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 November 2018
The world is your oyster as I was a student at the time and the conditions were more focused on me helping others as well as being able to keep my studies. It was a well balanced schedule. Cant complain.
Anonymous
Co-supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 November 2018
Layed back academic environment, it creates the feeling of teaching and learning. Working with students give you a sense of nurturing as you get to help those in the early stages of their careers.

You also find yourself being part of some great research
Fun
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville South, Western Cape13 November 2018
I was able to work and interact with other students from different faculties. Th queries were fun to answer because I worked they were from the Art Faculty and I was a Economics and Management Sciences faculty student and therefore, it was fun to know how the Arts Faculty functioned.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Working late on events for the faculty
Guided by the Lecturers
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape30 October 2018
I was appointed as a Tutor for the first year students, the lecturers assist in guiding on the areas which the students struggled with. Required to do marking and attended their lectures once a week to see where they were at in terms of the curriculum.
Fun workplace
Laboratory Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 September 2018
Enjoyable co workers and working with learners.
Learned how to be patient and how to effectively manage time.
A vibrant atmosphere filled with students that are eager to learn.
5,0
Excellent environment for research fellow
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  City of Cape Town, Western Cape20 August 2018
The Center for Humanities Research and the University of the Western Cape is one of the most energising experiences I ever had as an academic.

In my view, CHR offers a range of seminars and conversations that does not happen in other places in South Africa. Additionally to this, this research center has a great network from which fellows are highly benefited
Pros
everything
A platform for self-improvement
Graduate Lecturing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape11 July 2018
I really had a great time on this job. It was beautiful to work as part of the Faculty of Law. I acquired better skills in interpersonal communication and enhanced my research competence.
flexible
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape26 June 2018
Meeting new people and being able to learn from them. The people at the university are genuely nice and welcoming, this creates a nice working environment.
Pros
flexible
Cons
salary isnt very satisfactory
Nurturing environment
First year Business Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 May 2018
I was working part-time as a student.I had to execute my tasks without supervision.Since I was a student I had to balance both the time I commit to my school work and the time I worked.It was an interesting and nice experience which helped me a lot in completing my B SC in Computer Science.
It was a fun workplace
Micro and Macro Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape4 May 2018
I would go to campus and prepare myself to tutor either 1st or 2nd year Microeconomics or Macroeconomic students. What i have learned was that students pay attention to you if you manage to make real life examples with them. The culture at campus was more of a learning type of culture. Sometimes students can become very difficult with the questions they pose to you and that was hard for me. On the other hand, i enjoyed every minute with them knowing the impact i had on these students lives.
Pros
I worked whatever hours that best suites my dayly schedule
Cons
Some students made is hard for me to tutor, especially those ones that did not take the studies very serious
4,0
Lecturer (B. Nursing Programme) (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Cape Town21 April 2018
A typical day at UWC starts with meetings or academic lecturing. Lecturing involves undergraduate and post-graduate lectures.

I learned that working in the Higher Education arena is very challenging but also very rewarding.

The management at UWC is very supportive (especially the Head of the Nursing Faculty).

The hardest part of my post (that of Clinical Coordinator for the 4th year undergrad students) was that the students can be very challenging at times, on issues that are non-academic in nature.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the post-graduate students and their studies, especially the proposal defence meetings.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too many undergrad students on the B programme; limited available clinical facilities.
Fun work-space
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape3 April 2018
You attend meetings about the work required for the following week. Submit marks at the end of the week and provide administrative support. You learn interpersonal skills.
Pros
flexible hours
N/a
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape18 February 2018
This job really taught me all about Administration and how important it is to pay attention to detail. In this job I learned how to work under pressure (not without failure) but I did enjoy working and studying at the same time.
Very Dynamic, Ever changing
Experiential Training - PROJECT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape13 February 2018
I had to absorb so much in the 3 months I did my experiential training and was exposed to so many processes from minute taking to implementation and budget control

The work place culture was very much process driven.
Work in Progress
Junior Lecturer -University of Western Cape (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 February 2018
A good place to work and to grow. Staff are very concerned and caring. I learn all the time and there are always challenges that one needs to over come. The most enjoyable part is the fact that nobody really gets angry or abrupt as more than likely they are your research supervisors.
Pros
Very compatible working environment
Cons
limited advancement
Productive work space
Intern Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 January 2018
Great Therapeutic staff members. Manager was excellent, and caring. Work and private life balanced well. I had benefited and learned a lot from my seniors.
Pros
Free lunches and outings
Cons
different departments in one space cause tension at times
Too short to judge
Internship (Former Employee) –  Forensic DNA lab UWC16 January 2018
Was not much to be done so cannot judge. It was not a paying Internship as well, was doing it for Lab experience. The head of the Lab is an accomplished scientist.
Research led institute
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town9 January 2018
Excellent Science Faculty but new Rector seems to have no clear vision. Most academics care more about creating their own platforms rather than student needs.
Pros
Flexible academic context
Cons
heavy teaching loads