University of the Western Cape Employee Reviews

4,0
Good place to study and work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape25 November 2019
Looking forward to get a job again in the future in the field of electrochrmistry at the Department of Chemistry in Cape Town. I got more than 15 years of Laboratory experience.
Kind regards.
4,0
Sociology and Anthropology Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 November 2019
The tutoring position is great whilst studying especially if you wish to go into education or would want to lecture after completing your studies as this gives you good experience in working with students, preparing for tests, lesson planning and understanding concepts.
Productive and fun environment
Thintana Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape18 November 2019
Working with students whenever you are free between lectures during the day
Always busy
Never a dull moment
Always learning
Always growing
Very friendly staff
Productive and stressful sometimes
Senior Technical Officer (Current Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape9 November 2019
Its a great place to work and grow as academic.Friendly staff. Benifis are great too in terms of studying opportunities and medical aid.

The following I have learned:
Responsible for smooth running of undergraduate pharmaceutical practicals by ensuring timely procurement of chemicals and consumables needed.
 To assist/teach fourth years projects and postgraduates in pharmaceutics operation of instruments
 Coordinate /responsible for firefighting and evacuation within school of pharmacy
 Maintenance and oversight of all equipment in pharmaceutics discipline.
 Develop standard operating procedures (SOP`s), calibration and maintenance of equipments
 Equipment disposal (scrap and surplus) in pharmaceutics discipline
 Coordination of capital expenditure (CAPEX) –Identify and motivate instrument(s) needs.
 Management of Pharmaceutical discipline budget
3,0
Good place to grow
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape6 November 2019
It has a lot of activities that improve your growth and leadership skills. it is very good and fun place working with students and lovely colleagues. furthermore, it has good facilities and passionate people
Productive and interesting workplace
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape29 October 2019
Working at UWC has been wonderful and have have learned so much working here. I can recommend others to work here because you have the opportunity to grow and learn here.
Pros
Work people is great
Committed and socially aware
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape27 October 2019
UWC is committed to transforming the lives of the students and staff who work and study at the campus. The university is making head roads into providing top class world quality tertiary education, despite being previously disadvantaged.
Pros
Socially conscious
Cons
Combersome administrative processes
Productive and educating
Tutor/practical demonstator (Former Employee) –  Bellville South, Western Cape3 September 2019
I had a real learning and growing experience working at my own tertiary institution teaching and helping students, and this has given me much pride in myself
5,0
Energizing and learning space to work.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape29 August 2019
My typical day at work is always the one filled with smiles and laughter between my students and myself. I have learnt to approach tutoring/facilitation with an open mind, as a social scientist. I have always enjoyed training or passing down of information/lessons learned, this is the part I enjoy the most about my job.
5,0
Working at UWC was a life changing opportunity. I gained a lot of experience working with Professionals and stundents.
Senior Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape8 August 2019
I recommend my colleagues to apply for jobs at UWC.i enjoyed working with students, interacting with them. I also worked as a peer mentor to other Tutors.
Good place
Student assistant (Former Employee) –  Student assistant8 July 2019
The good things
The range of work and clients that I'm exposed to is stimulating and interesting. There are opportunity for me to be directly exposed to senior stakeholders to external clients which has allowed for my own personal development and expanded my professional network.
The challenges
Part of the challenge is to achieve a work/life balance as the workload is cyclical in nature and during times when multiple engagements are occurring at the same time, which places pressure on personal commitments and presents a challenge to better manage time and develop effective delegation skills.
The University of the Western Cape is Amazing
BUSINESS STATISTICS LECTURER (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape3 June 2019
Overall, it is a most enjoyable place to work, teach, research and generally, grow. The atmosphere is pleasant, calm and optimally paced. When interacting with senior stuff and students, particularly those belonging to the Statistics and Population Studies Department, one is never made to feel inferior or inadequate but rather, welcomed and raised to a higher plane of intellectual being.
Pros
Almost everything
Cons
No staff locker rooms
2,0
ill-equipped management
The unions seemed to have a much stronger voice than management. Most Managers were ill-equipped for the roles they occupied and this became a challenge in managing competent employees.
Pros
benefits for spouses and employee's children
Cons
racial integration was a challenge
Productive and learning
Deputy Registrar (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape30 April 2019
Personal drive required to progress within the university. Ability to learn. I have learned that one can become whatever they dream and wish to become within their career through the leadership team within the university. The culture is dedication and recognition and continuous opportunities of learning and developing platforms.
Pros
depend on what is required
Cons
extra hours
fun environment
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 April 2019
I had the pleasure of working with and meeting different characters and personalities. It was a good challenge where I adapted and improved my personal skills.
Pros
flexible around lectures
Cons
cannot work longer hours as desired
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape14 February 2019
Opportunity for growth and development.Fun place to be and there is room for improvement. There could be too much politics since it is a learning institution.
Pros
Training
Cons
Micromanaging
4,0
Very progressive fun University to work for
Director of Research & Development (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape30 January 2019
I worked for the University for only three years, these were some of the best years throughout my working career. In those three years, I grew a lot, Executive Management is positive and accessible to all.
3,0
educative
o Economics tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape10 January 2019
lot of learning experience and exposure to the work environment. learning more everyday and enhancing ones knowledge. i enjoyed interacting with the learners and conveying my knowledge to them.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
little salary
5,0
A wonderful work environment.
Commercial law lecturer (Former Employee) –  Bellville, Western Cape4 January 2019
Commercial law lecturer at the Faculty of Law at the University of the Western Cape. A strong culture of learning and empowerment - the Faculty has an unwavering focus on the holistic development of students.
Pros
Excellent centre of learning.
Cons
None that I can think of.
2,0
Can't give - not working at the campus
Data Capturer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape21 December 2018
Learnt a lot about the Waste economy and its various nuances and trends.
Payment is made per survey captured, however 2 different types of surveys were done and the payment per survey was not in line with the time it takes to do them, eg. the short survey took about 20 minutes to capture, whereas the long one took anything up to 3 hours, due to the nature of the survey and answers given, besides deciphering the handwriting
Time for capturing did not take into account the length answers, which varied from one business to the next.
Payment structure too much red tape, payment not made when billed, have to wait 2 weeks to a month for payment to be made.
Hardest part of job - deciphering illegible handwriting.