University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews

Good learning experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 December 2018
I received the merit award in 2008 from the University of the Witwatersrand for achieving high results in my Bachelor of Arts Degree. The University funded my Honours in Psychology Degree and in return I worked for six hours a week during the year in the Psychology Department.
4,0
Learned a lot as an academic tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 December 2018
I loved the job as I tutored one of my favorite subjects. The pay I received was also very good and helped me a lot as a student. I loved it as I learned a lot about my people management skills and it also gave me a chance to improve on that skill. I got exposed to different people of different personalities and so learned to deal with different kinds of people. Most importantly, I enjoyed imparting my knowledge to students.
5,0
It was a good experience to work there.
Personal Assistant to Professor (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng3 November 2018
I worked 4 hours a day.
The new system they used called Oracle.
Management was good. Supervisors were sensitive towards our needs. I enjoyed working there. My contract ended in 2015.
Pros
Flexible hours
Relaxed environment
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng1 November 2018
start work from 8 to 4 and have an hour lunch break, attention to detail is very important. we had great management who respected everyone's input and very understanding of employee needs.very diverse department indeed. we have sports day events.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Not that I can think of
very productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  johannesburg. park town26 October 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping out whenever there was help need to learned to want more and be better than i was the day before and the day before that. the university is big and pride itself on individual improvement and long life learning of their students and employees.
Fun
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng22 October 2018
I went into this field with a full enthusiasm to tutor. One remarkable experience I had was that the environment always challenged me to work harder since I was dealing with the students as a tutor and also had to make out a lot of time to read for my own academic work. The aspect of research became then pronounced in me following the many engagements with students. This was because I always had to read ahead not to mislead the students.
Pros
Access to the library
Cons
Staying for long hours and odd times to teach
3,0
Productive workplace
Chemical engineering tutor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 September 2018
Fun and challenging job. Most enjoyable part is seeing the students understanding difficult concepts. Challenging at times as the students can as difficult questions.
Pros
Room for growth
Very good learning environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 August 2018
The university is one of the top schools in Africa and ranked among the top 300 globally. A well resourced and fun place to work. Great working culture
Challenging
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng19 August 2018
A typical day started at 8:30 and ended at 16:30. The day included a lot of admin work, handling student queries, supporting the faculty staff and carrying boxes.

I learned how to work under pressure especially during registration sometimes working 12 hours a day.

The management was fair and straight forward and extremely supportive.

Academic and enjoyable.

The working 12hours during registration without a lunch break.

Handling student queries and solving problems.
Pros
Free lunch
3,0
Work place
filling (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 August 2018
I gained experience in the area of admin. I got to learn more about interaction with people, answering phones calls and jotting down notes and emails. Overall job experience was enjoying and the staff is friendly.
1,0
It is completely voluntary and has taught me how to mange time and walk with administration to connect the students to the relevant authorities,
Student Transformation Officer of School of GAES (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 July 2018
It is a difficult job to mange but is rewarding when one has the ability to help students to resolve their issues that have to do with transformation.
Pros
Teaches team work. Teaches how to follow legal procedures to sort things out.
Cons
Irregular hours and available at all times.
4,0
Enriching and rewarding workplace.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 July 2018
As a full time student I was provided with amenities and resources necessary to complete my work. The staff were open and supportive. I found the actively political atmosphere on campus challenging but also inspiring. Wits frequently hosts local and foreign academics to present their recent work. In this way, students are able to keep abreast of current research.
Pros
Stimulating work environment.
Cons
Student protests were occasionally disruptive.
4,0
It is a good company to work for
Business Manager/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng10 July 2018
a typical day at work starts at 0800hrs and ends at 1630hrs. I have learnt in working in groups to achieve objectives. Work culture is proffessional. The hardest part of the job is cordinating people in different departments as the depart ments are large in number.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
long hours to work sometimes
Great working place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 June 2018
Very good working environment. Good space to learn a lot and develop yourself. Management is fairly good and provides some support to staff. Facilities are good and overall the place is great to work at. Looking forward to move up the ladder and keep challenging myself.
Pros
Staff Bursary
Cons
Late in innovation
Intesive workload
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gauteng9 June 2018
It's good for people in academia.
It's not for lazy people.
There are no benefits
Not much supervision
Flexible working hours
Coaching is part of the job
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Workload
Proactive, efficient and accountability
Examinations Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng8 June 2018
Wits University was my first employer and I am grateful for the opportunity they have given me. I learnt how to be disciplined as an employee, the importance of time management and accountability to your work. I also learnt to pay attention to detail to do the job right the first time. Supervisor was helpful to take me through the loops on my first day and team work really assisted to gain my confidence.
Pros
working hours were reasonable
5,0
Impact of climate change, using ASPEN plus, exergy analysis on flow-sheeting software
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 June 2018
I learned the dangers associated with climate change, the importance of the energy sector, how to develop a simulation using ASPEN plus, how to conduct a second law thermodynamic analysis (exergy analysis) on a thermal plant simulated with flow sheeting software such as ASPEN plus.
Pros
Conducting research
Cons
Funding
1,0
Work ethics
Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 June 2018
As a natural relationship builder equipped with the vision and purpose to drive organizational change and am able to adapt positively to any situation
Flexible work environment
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 May 2018
Flexible work environment, generally good students to work with. Generous leave policies and better than average salary. The administrative processes can sometimes be bureaucratic
Productive and challenging
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gauteng26 April 2018
You get to learn how to teach and simplfy stuff
Fast paced work environment
Work once a week except when marking
No hard part
Enjoyable part is that you improve you communication skills
Pros
once a week