University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews

Challenging
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng19 August 2018
A typical day started at 8:30 and ended at 16:30. The day included a lot of admin work, handling student queries, supporting the faculty staff and carrying boxes.

I learned how to work under pressure especially during registration sometimes working 12 hours a day.

The management was fair and straight forward and extremely supportive.

Academic and enjoyable.

The working 12hours during registration without a lunch break.

Handling student queries and solving problems.
Pros
Free lunch
Work place
filling (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 August 2018
I gained experience in the area of admin. I got to learn more about interaction with people, answering phones calls and jotting down notes and emails. Overall job experience was enjoying and the staff is friendly.
It is completely voluntary and has taught me how to mange time and walk with administration to connect the students to the relevant authorities,
Student Transformation Officer of School of GAES (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 July 2018
It is a difficult job to mange but is rewarding when one has the ability to help students to resolve their issues that have to do with transformation.
Pros
Teaches team work. Teaches how to follow legal procedures to sort things out.
Cons
Irregular hours and available at all times.
Enriching and rewarding workplace.
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng17 July 2018
As a full time student I was provided with amenities and resources necessary to complete my work. The staff were open and supportive. I found the actively political atmosphere on campus challenging but also inspiring. Wits frequently hosts local and foreign academics to present their recent work. In this way, students are able to keep abreast of current research.
Pros
Stimulating work environment.
Cons
Student protests were occasionally disruptive.
It is a good company to work for
Business Manager/Accountant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng10 July 2018
a typical day at work starts at 0800hrs and ends at 1630hrs. I have learnt in working in groups to achieve objectives. Work culture is proffessional. The hardest part of the job is cordinating people in different departments as the depart ments are large in number.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
long hours to work sometimes
Great working place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 June 2018
Very good working environment. Good space to learn a lot and develop yourself. Management is fairly good and provides some support to staff. Facilities are good and overall the place is great to work at. Looking forward to move up the ladder and keep challenging myself.
Pros
Staff Bursary
Cons
Late in innovation
Intesive workload
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gauteng9 June 2018
It's good for people in academia.
It's not for lazy people.
There are no benefits
Not much supervision
Flexible working hours
Coaching is part of the job
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Workload
Proactive, efficient and accountability
Examinations Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng8 June 2018
Wits University was my first employer and I am grateful for the opportunity they have given me. I learnt how to be disciplined as an employee, the importance of time management and accountability to your work. I also learnt to pay attention to detail to do the job right the first time. Supervisor was helpful to take me through the loops on my first day and team work really assisted to gain my confidence.
Pros
working hours were reasonable
Cons
Impact of climate change, using ASPEN plus, exergy analysis on flow-sheeting software
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 June 2018
I learned the dangers associated with climate change, the importance of the energy sector, how to develop a simulation using ASPEN plus, how to conduct a second law thermodynamic analysis (exergy analysis) on a thermal plant simulated with flow sheeting software such as ASPEN plus.
Pros
Conducting research
Cons
Funding
Work ethics
Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 June 2018
As a natural relationship builder equipped with the vision and purpose to drive organizational change and am able to adapt positively to any situation
Flexible work environment
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 May 2018
Flexible work environment, generally good students to work with. Generous leave policies and better than average salary. The administrative processes can sometimes be bureaucratic
Productive and challenging
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gauteng26 April 2018
You get to learn how to teach and simplfy stuff
Fast paced work environment
Work once a week except when marking
No hard part
Enjoyable part is that you improve you communication skills
Pros
once a week
Productive Workplace
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng20 April 2018
It was my first experience as a tutor.
I was not a full-time emplo9yee since I was a PhD student.
I learn to interact with students, I learn to impact knowledge, explain concepts they didn't understand.
I typical day would be, before the tutorial session, I will meet with the instructor in charge of the module, discuss on the tutorial sheet when necessary. Then I will go to the venue, walk through in-between the chairs to check what the students are doing. If there is a concept that most of them don't understand, then I will go to the board and explain or still a student who is willing to do so can explain to his peers.
As usual, in such an environment I enjoyed standing in front of the students to help them understand concept they found difficult.
The most difficult part was tests or assignment grading.
Pros
Free tea and biscuits
enjoyable and productive
Technical Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng18 April 2018
Wits is on of the toppest leading organisation or company in terms of opportunities and it provides good benefits and it also gives employees an opportunity to learn or to study while they are working
Vacation Work Student (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng2 April 2018
The working environment was good for me because i was familiar with the place and i knew a lot of people there. This made it easy for me to get help whenever i needed it. I had access to all the equipment i needed which also made it easier for me to do my job
Pros
Very familiar
Productive and efficient workplace
Media Studies Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg24 March 2018
The University of the Witwatersrand is a great workplace that encourages the employee to grow as an individual, while also teaching one the required work ethics that one requires in order to reach the unlimited heights of success.
Learning
Accounting lll Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg8 March 2018
I served as a tutor for second year accounting students. I was required to deliver the tutorials and go over exercises and past exam papers with the students in the weekly tuts.
Great environment with good work life integration
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg15 February 2018
If you are raising a family this is a great environment to work in - good benefits and very family supportive. Beautiful campus with lots of opportunities for social interaction
Pros
Good work life integration
Cons
little opportunity for promotion
Productive and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 February 2018
I tutored first year students in engineering physics, five times a week from Monday to Friday for about 2 hours a day. The students were great and most of them were always willing to learn. I also assisted lectures with the preparation of tests and exams. The whole environment was fair but not perfect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No pay
Academic workplace
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 January 2018
Working at the library exposes you to a lot of different and interesting individuals from different fields of studies. There was always an opportunity to learn something new.