University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun working place
Lecturer (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Gauteng5 December 2019
The culture at Wits is very professional and effecient. They hire the best staff who are from diverse parts of the world. The salary is not so good. However, the salary is negotiable. The culture is very open and they are willing to work with each other.
Academic yet sun
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng22 November 2019
I was working onsite and dealing with students, staff and clients on daily basis. Most of my interactions were face to face and some over the phone. I enjoyed working there.
Awesome
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng21 November 2019
It is an incredible institution and an honor to have been a student there. There's plenty of opportunities for growth and to learn from brilliant thinkers from all over the world.
5,0
great working environment as we support one another and enjoyable working environment as there lot of supporting structures available.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng19 October 2019
Going to work is always fun. Best place I have ever worked in my 15 years of working experience. Every position is worth it as it is secured with good benefits. Management very supportive and the culture is good. There is unity. Always promoting and helping people to upgrade themselves. the only hardest part is when there is a student protest as I work in Protection services. I have learned a lot especially team work since I joined.
Great benefits and opportunities
Secretary • Faculty of Humanities (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, South Africa14 October 2019
Much of your daily experiences will depend on your line manager's style. There are however many benefits such as study subsidies, unlimited opportunities for promotion and above average annual leave.
2,0
Fair
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bushbuckridge, Mpumalanga19 September 2019
The environment is very productive and excellent place to learn more but need to improve with the management style. Need better job security going forward
Inspiring
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng10 September 2019
members of staff are dedicated and committed to duty.
Excellence is the soul of business. work culture is great and inspiring. the system is tough but definitely prepares one for the future.
4,0
allows for effective work/school life balance
Wits ICT Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng29 August 2019
You get meet people from all walks of life and it has enabled me to better my communication skills. I have learned to balance my school and work effectively.
I was a student
None yet (Former Employee) –  Student27 August 2019
I was a student however I didn't get any complaints from those that volunteered or worked there so I assume it was a good workplace for them.

Great educational courses though.
4,0
Busy environment and enjoyed the opportunity to meet different people at various levels
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 August 2019
Replying to emails and phone call was a priority.
Following up on various Hr administration duties, checking up on HR contracts, letters, preparation of selection committees, minutes , report writing .
enjoyed the Interaction with staff at all levels
5,0
Intellectually stimulating but fun to work at
Tutoring (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 August 2019
The institution is great and allows for growth and learning. I have also learned a lot from my colleague and students who study at the university. I recommend this place to anyone whom may want to take on a fun and fulfilling career path.
Great work experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  CEM6 August 2019
I would recommend that if you are pursuing a corporate career where work experience is needed, I would definitely recommend taking up a part-time position at Wits.
Fun and educational environment
Trranscriber and Translator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng21 July 2019
This is a place where indeed one continues to learn with every task you do and which is a very rare quality for jobs. And for that reason Wits is the best employer ever!
Pros
Reliable payment system
Cons
Long hours of transcriptions
Hardwork and Some Play
Admissions Consultant (PG) (Former Employee) –  Gauteng12 July 2019
A typical day begins early and involves forward planning for what lay ahead. No tow days are alike however the issues experienced in this role were mainly due to archaic process and systems that required great buy in from all structures before tangible changes could be made.
Learnings were vast and I would not have acquired these anyway else and I will carry these long into my personal career. I have matured emotionally and learned the value of teamwork.

Very bureaucratic management style and little room for deviation , however some progress was made in changes some old ways that took into account the era we are in.
The most difficult part of the role was the battle to make large scale changes that would see productivity and workplace atmosphere change in a positive light.

When the systems worked and students were accepted into the institute for the degree of their choice.
Pros
Great institutional knowledge from fellow staff
Wits
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Gauteng, Gauteng29 May 2019
I worked at Wits during apartheid days in South Africa. There were no opportunities for development or promotion at the time for any non white support staff.
Pros
Less stressful environment
Cons
Promotions were filled by external candidates
5,0
Good work environment, not always stimulating.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng29 May 2019
The environment was great and while the work was not challenging it was stable and provided sociable work hours. It paid well for what it was and the country in which it is based.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Mundane
4,0
Steady yet stimulating working environment
Team Leader, Senior Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng6 May 2019
I learned and gained experience in the following
* Installation and upgrading of high-end products
* Integration of various software solutions to provide programmatic solutions for the company's challenges.
* Leading and motivating a team from diverse backgrounds, with equally diverse skills and personalities.

Workplace culture has been challenging at times. Partly due to change of higher level management and how that affects the work force. Also, partly due to the political climate of the country seeping through into the office environment. This contributes to some individuals putting in a lot of effort and hard work while others manage to just have it easy.
Pros
Working with diverse community, flexible working hours, 24 days leave a year including closed over Christmas period
Cons
Differentiation between support staff as academic staff - academic staff is seen as superior
Productive and fun
Associate lecturer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 April 2019
Very flexible working hours

Activities include preparation of course material, marking, consultations, tutorials and adhoc lecturing.

Benefits include staff bursary to study Master in Commerce (accounting).

Very rewarding experience working with students and assisting them with their studies.

You will be given a portfolio in one of the key CTA competencies (Financial Accounting, Auditing, Financial Management or Taxation).

Academic articles are awarded to the University's top performers and may be done as a substitute to first year articles.

Salaries are competitive in relation to market
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
N/a
Research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg8 April 2019
Good place to work.
Good work life balance.
Good benefits. Management is ok.
Good vacation.
Good area.
Job is sometimes monotomous.
Work place culture is ok
Worthwhile Experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 March 2019
It was a good working experience. The hours are not too long 8 AM to 5 PM. I gained experience in my field by specialising. Lack of support is the problem at the institution which requires improvisation.