University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews

Great working place
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 June 2018
Very good working environment. Good space to learn a lot and develop yourself. Management is fairly good and provides some support to staff. Facilities are good and overall the place is great to work at. Looking forward to move up the ladder and keep challenging myself.
Pros
Staff Bursary
Cons
Late in innovation
Intesive workload
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gauteng9 June 2018
It's good for people in academia.
It's not for lazy people.
There are no benefits
Not much supervision
Flexible working hours
Coaching is part of the job
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Workload
Proactive, efficient and accountability
Examinations Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng8 June 2018
Wits University was my first employer and I am grateful for the opportunity they have given me. I learnt how to be disciplined as an employee, the importance of time management and accountability to your work. I also learnt to pay attention to detail to do the job right the first time. Supervisor was helpful to take me through the loops on my first day and team work really assisted to gain my confidence.
Pros
working hours were reasonable
Cons
Impact of climate change, using ASPEN plus, exergy analysis on flow-sheeting software
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 June 2018
I learned the dangers associated with climate change, the importance of the energy sector, how to develop a simulation using ASPEN plus, how to conduct a second law thermodynamic analysis (exergy analysis) on a thermal plant simulated with flow sheeting software such as ASPEN plus.
Pros
Conducting research
Cons
Funding
Work ethics
Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 June 2018
As a natural relationship builder equipped with the vision and purpose to drive organizational change and am able to adapt positively to any situation
Flexible work environment
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng1 May 2018
Flexible work environment, generally good students to work with. Generous leave policies and better than average salary. The administrative processes can sometimes be bureaucratic
Productive and challenging
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gauteng26 April 2018
You get to learn how to teach and simplfy stuff
Fast paced work environment
Work once a week except when marking
No hard part
Enjoyable part is that you improve you communication skills
Pros
once a week
Productive Workplace
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng20 April 2018
It was my first experience as a tutor.
I was not a full-time emplo9yee since I was a PhD student.
I learn to interact with students, I learn to impact knowledge, explain concepts they didn't understand.
I typical day would be, before the tutorial session, I will meet with the instructor in charge of the module, discuss on the tutorial sheet when necessary. Then I will go to the venue, walk through in-between the chairs to check what the students are doing. If there is a concept that most of them don't understand, then I will go to the board and explain or still a student who is willing to do so can explain to his peers.
As usual, in such an environment I enjoyed standing in front of the students to help them understand concept they found difficult.
The most difficult part was tests or assignment grading.
Pros
Free tea and biscuits
enjoyable and productive
Technical Support Consultant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng18 April 2018
Wits is on of the toppest leading organisation or company in terms of opportunities and it provides good benefits and it also gives employees an opportunity to learn or to study while they are working
Vacation Work Student (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng2 April 2018
The working environment was good for me because i was familiar with the place and i knew a lot of people there. This made it easy for me to get help whenever i needed it. I had access to all the equipment i needed which also made it easier for me to do my job
Pros
Very familiar
Productive and efficient workplace
Media Studies Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg24 March 2018
The University of the Witwatersrand is a great workplace that encourages the employee to grow as an individual, while also teaching one the required work ethics that one requires in order to reach the unlimited heights of success.
Learning
Accounting lll Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg8 March 2018
I served as a tutor for second year accounting students. I was required to deliver the tutorials and go over exercises and past exam papers with the students in the weekly tuts.
Great environment with good work life integration
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg15 February 2018
If you are raising a family this is a great environment to work in - good benefits and very family supportive. Beautiful campus with lots of opportunities for social interaction
Pros
Good work life integration
Cons
little opportunity for promotion
Productive and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng3 February 2018
I tutored first year students in engineering physics, five times a week from Monday to Friday for about 2 hours a day. The students were great and most of them were always willing to learn. I also assisted lectures with the preparation of tests and exams. The whole environment was fair but not perfect.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No pay
Academic workplace
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 January 2018
Working at the library exposes you to a lot of different and interesting individuals from different fields of studies. There was always an opportunity to learn something new.
Productive and challenging.
Tutor for Business Enterprise Law (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg28 January 2018
I enjoyed this role and the University. I was a student at the University so it was very convenient for me.

There was however great administrative difficulty on the management side of things.

The hardest part of the job was drafting the memos to questions that were often contradictory due to the poor administration and organisation on behalf of my supervisors.

The most enjoyable part was teaching the students and making a difference in terms of their interest and understanding in the subject matter.
Pros
Convenient, low transport cost
Cons
Poor administration.
the job was fun and demanding
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 January 2018
I was always looking forward to go to work because we work with different people who bring different energies and experience.
I also enjoyed working with a team because it helps enhance one's mind as you get to understand other people's view and perspectives on issues and life.
Pros
Able to work and study at the same time
Exciting
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg South, Gauteng16 January 2018
I gained teaching experience in a laboratory. I also improved my verbal and presentation skills with undergraduate students. I was also apart of the Target Talent Programme in assisting Matric students in the laboratory.
My work experience at Wits
Map Curator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 January 2018
A typical day would include cataloging of maps or rocks for the teaching collections and have a tea break with most of the stuff and every month end we would have a party for the stuff. I have learned that it is important to mingle with everyone at work in that way the work environment is more enjoyable. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was working creating a thin section from a rock and learning a variety of different rock collections.
Pros
nice well prepared breakfast
Cons
Fun environment to work at.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 January 2018
It was a job that required interpersonal skills. The environment was friendly and the management was good in the sense that the employers perceived the employees as friends.

I learned quite a great deal from this job which includes among other things, good communication skills and team work.

The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers. However, with good communication skills one was able to solve the problem in a manner agreeable both to the customer and I.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to get the Star of the week award.
Pros
Reduced prices for employees