University Of The Witwatersrand Employee Reviews

Worthwhile Experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 March 2019
It was a good working experience. The hours are not too long 8 AM to 5 PM. I gained experience in my field by specialising. Lack of support is the problem at the institution which requires improvisation.
5,0
focused, productive and love challenges
Tutor for Mine Surveying (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng15 March 2019
It was fun and challenging at the same time being a tutor at wits school of mine. dealing with people was the most challenging part. I loved doing survey practical work by explaining it to students.
Pros
Learning more about survey and dealing with people
Cons
balancing studies and work
4,0
Fun to teach and learn at the same time
Engineering Design Tutor (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng11 March 2019
It was a great opportunity to be able to tutor the engineering design course, which allowed me to pass on knowledge as well as reinforce my own, and gained the skill of teaching.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Boring at times
4,0
Overall
Tutor for Insurance and Risk Management II (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA27 February 2019
A good place to tutor and work. Management was supportive and understanding. It was rewarding to tutor and learn at the same time. The other tutors built relationships with each other and got along.
Support Technician
Intern (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng26 February 2019
I have been exposed to the practical part of electrical engineering with Wits University and enhanced my experience with them on an educational level.
Pros
Education
fun learning new things
Ph.D. research candidate (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA12 February 2019
A resourceful academic environment. adequate for learning and education. Provide an opportunity to meet and interact with prominent researchers. Recommended for one seeking for learning
Pros
Intensive learning and education
Cons
late working time
Productive and Learning Environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng12 February 2019
-It was a great working environment where I learned a lot about research, the skills and tools used in data collection and analysis.

-Great supervisors and managers who continued to teach us about leadership and management skills.Challenges included time management on projects which were solved by keeping project management schedules.
Pros
Chilled Environment
5,0
Productive and good practice and ethics
Acting Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng6 February 2019
Since i started working as a finance officer time management has never been an issue because you account for the Unit's Money. Our management has been the best over the years maybe its because of the institution knowledge the have. Most important the pre- university programme that we run is one of the best in the whole South Africa if not Africa,The reason i used to wake up with Energy was because of the vission of the programme.
Pros
Making difference in people's life
Cons
Tiring and texting
5,0
It was a great experience
Student Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 January 2019
The call center was designed to handle queries pertaining to registration but at times it meant handling queries beyond the job scope. If you love helping people this role would be excellent for you but you also must understand that sometimes you actually cannot help people. NOt being able to help will weigh on you but know thats part of the job.
3,0
fun workplace
Student Representative Council Sub -Committee (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, ZA6 January 2019
working with all the people the is just always amazing and always looking forwaRd to get to work . safe environment and you learn more while still working with everyone there
Pros
free lunch
Cons
extra time
4,0
Work life balance and access to educational resources
Laboratory Administrator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng30 December 2018
The staff are very helpful and there is lots to learn and there is unlimited access to educational resources. All the expensive licenses are accessible and usable within the premises.
Pros
Free Unlimited Internet and resources
Productive and educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, ZA17 December 2018
This was an enriching experience with regards to my IT skills, and it also allowed me to grow my knowledge in marketing and strategy as I was working for a professor in economics, as well him being an established business man. This job had only pros and no cons as it as taught me time management and it has helped a great amount in my current studies in Strategic Brand Communications, while allowing me to implement the skills I gained while obtaining my diploma in Business Science. The amount of information I worked with and sorted through and collated was extensive, but it helped me learn focus and discipline. Although I hoped to work in the marketing and strategy sphere, as I am most skilled in the business sciences, the challenge was a great experience. Management was great, and the workplace was suited to my schedule as I am a student. I would say the hardest part of the job, apart from the amount of information, was the distance to get to the university. I enjoyed the job as a whole.
Pros
Free lunch and experience
Intellectually challenging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng13 December 2018
In general teaching and assisting students was intellectually challenging and when subject matter was outside my scope I learnt a lot. It was also great for refreshing one's knowledge on subject matter.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Sometimes it feels like students don't bother taking advantage of the opportunities provided to them
Good learning experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng11 December 2018
I received the merit award in 2008 from the University of the Witwatersrand for achieving high results in my Bachelor of Arts Degree. The University funded my Honours in Psychology Degree and in return I worked for six hours a week during the year in the Psychology Department.
4,0
Learned a lot as an academic tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng8 December 2018
I loved the job as I tutored one of my favorite subjects. The pay I received was also very good and helped me a lot as a student. I loved it as I learned a lot about my people management skills and it also gave me a chance to improve on that skill. I got exposed to different people of different personalities and so learned to deal with different kinds of people. Most importantly, I enjoyed imparting my knowledge to students.
5,0
It was a good experience to work there.
Personal Assistant to Professor (Former Employee) –  City of Johannesburg, Gauteng3 November 2018
I worked 4 hours a day.
The new system they used called Oracle.
Management was good. Supervisors were sensitive towards our needs. I enjoyed working there. My contract ended in 2015.
Pros
Flexible hours
Relaxed environment
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng1 November 2018
start work from 8 to 4 and have an hour lunch break, attention to detail is very important. we had great management who respected everyone's input and very understanding of employee needs.very diverse department indeed. we have sports day events.
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Not that I can think of
very productive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  johannesburg. park town26 October 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping out whenever there was help need to learned to want more and be better than i was the day before and the day before that. the university is big and pride itself on individual improvement and long life learning of their students and employees.
Fun
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Braamfontein, Gauteng22 October 2018
I went into this field with a full enthusiasm to tutor. One remarkable experience I had was that the environment always challenged me to work harder since I was dealing with the students as a tutor and also had to make out a lot of time to read for my own academic work. The aspect of research became then pronounced in me following the many engagements with students. This was because I always had to read ahead not to mislead the students.
Pros
Access to the library
Cons
Staying for long hours and odd times to teach
3,0
Productive workplace
Chemical engineering tutor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng24 September 2018
Fun and challenging job. Most enjoyable part is seeing the students understanding difficult concepts. Challenging at times as the students can as difficult questions.
Pros
Room for growth