V&V Consulting Engineers (Pty) Ltd

5,0Job Security & Advancement
5,0Management
4,0Culture
5,0
Productive maintenance and wet services at a unique work place in a Prison/ Correctional facility
Clerk of Works, Site Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town8 September 2012
A typical day at work would start at 7am, i arrive on site at the Prison/ Poullsmoor Correctional facility. Have a mini site meeting and assign and address the days work. I later supervise the laborers and fill documentation, liaise with engineers and project managers who are not on site about the day to day work, or if any urgency is needed.

My co-workers could range from architects, to Resident Engineers, to Surveyors and Foremen on site. I was in charge of managing a team of 21, including 2 in-service training students and 19 laborers in groups of two or four, depending on the size of task at hand.

The hardest part of the job was entering the maximum security prisons to supervise, but the most enjoyable part was completing a task in team work and realizing the achievement and help in maintaining the prison cells
Pros
food and transport allowance, medical aid benefits
Cons
security around the correctional facility, inmates