Western Cape Department of Health Employee Reviews

1,0
Demanding
Medical Officer Grade 1 (Former Employee) –  Bishop Lavis, Western Cape4 December 2019
Demanding
Stressful
Overburdened
Poorly resourced
Fast paced
good hours
easy to maintain a good work/life balance
generally positive and helpful staff
Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Grabouw, Western Cape20 May 2019
On your feet all the time which makes time go buy easier and productive.
The clinic is interdependent and we always need each other for advice and consistency with patients.
Pros
Good Lunches
Cons
Busy
3,0
Good job security
Senior Administrative Officer, Supply (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape2 May 2019
Although job security is good the work is really monotonous, a lot of red tape and office politics.

Really no progression and promotions available. EE plays a big part in hiring here even if you are the most qualified person.
Benefits
Cons
Monotonous work
Exciting & Satisfying
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Malmesbury, Western Cape6 November 2018
Great place to work. My role was to realise the setup & establishment of a fully functional MDR-TB support structure for the Department of Health. Train administrative staff at clinics throughout the West Coast District. Arrange a transport network for outreaches & support visits to clinics. Establish relationships with existing MDR-TB Units & relevant Department of Health role players. Perform daily personal assistant duties for the coordinator of the MDR-TB program by providing effective administrative support, time management duties, and diary management services.
Pros
Package
Cons
Irregular hours & lots of travel.
Productive Workplace
Community Service Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Western Cape7 October 2018
Productive Workplace. An employee can be assured to develop both practical skills and knowledge skills in the sector that he/she practices in. Provision is made for additional educational workshops.
4,0
Different pathologies, great learning opportunities
Student physiotherapist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape13 June 2018
Work normally begins around 8am and end at 4pm. You learn about your profession, diagnosing and treatment as well as communication strategies for the different people you come across. The staff is normally helpful and supportive which creates an enjoyable environment to work in.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Lack of resources
4,0
Fast Pace requires strategic and critical thinkling
Administration Clerk (Permanent) (Current Employee) –  South Africa Cape Town17 April 2018
SCM as provided me the opportunity to sharpen my Skills in administration.the environment is fast paced and busy. most challenging part of the job is consolidations each month.
5,0
Pleasant and comfortable working environment
professional nurse (Former Employee) –  Groote Schuur, Western Cape1 December 2017
Working for the WCDH was nice and enjoyable, I learned a lot working there,things that I didn't learn when I was doing my practicals as a student. It was an eye opener in many angles.
The staff and colleague are easy out going people who are willing to help and easy to interact with. The hardest part is when the patient is completely wrong but we must act like they right because we fear of being report as IL-treating the patience as professional nurses.
2,0
Productive environment
Registered Professional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Clanwillia22 September 2017
I worked very hard in a day you havto deal with labour, trauma,general ad theatre patients. These staff work very hard and had a shortage of staff too. Morale is a bit low because staff works very hard and burn out.
Pros
Cons
Long hours and hard work
Safe at work place
Intermediate Life Support Paramedic & Rescue (Former Employee) –  Grabouw, Western Cape28 August 2017
Safely feeling at work gave me and my colleagues a sold friendship. Supporting our managers and prioritising patients before our needs was also one of a kind achievement i encounter & winning a personal award 2008 as a BEST MEDIC is still one of a kind
hard work but worth it
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Hermanus, Western Cape16 July 2017
I learned a lot of valuable life skills. Colleagues and the public are very forgiving which took the pressure off in the beginning. Generally speaking the aim is to promote public health in various ways.
Pros
feels good to help the public with primary health care
Cons
pressure when under staffed
3,0
Busy work environment with multiple learning opportunities
Community Service Medical Officer (Former Employee) –  Mitchells Plain, Western Cape9 January 2017
A typical day at work is very busy with lots of patients being admitted to the Emergency Rooms.
I learnt how to think on my feet and cope with pressure situations on a daily basis and I discovered the steps to effective problem-solving when having to work as a team.
The hardest part of the job was the very long working hours and lack of recovery time when having to work on a shift basis.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the knowledge that I was helping fellow human beings.
1,0
Hard Working individual
Intern: Co-Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WC17 March 2015
A typical day at work was always relaxedand stress free and i have learned more about administration. Managment was always patient and making sure we were happy the hardest part of the job was the overflow of admin from 92 clinics and hospitals combined and the most enjoyable part of the job was my colleagues, workplace and learning new things each day.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Over flow of Admin from 92 Facilities
Very good workplace
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING CLERK (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC12 May 2014
My tipical day would be arriving at work, set out all urgent task and those not so urgent. Start on tasks immediately. When all is done, find out from colleagues if i can assist with any of their tasks. Sometimes gets instructions from my manager to assist with queries.

I like what im doing,finance is a broad field, meaning you learn something new almost every day. The part that i dislike most is Financial Year end and Annual Accruals.
Pros
Teambuildings quarterly
Cons
Just staying a little far from work.