Western Cape Government Employee Reviews

3,0
pressure to do daily tasks yet productive nature
teacher assistant and math tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlantis, Western Cape7 May 2019
we have to ensure all required learners has a reading session
learned to manage daily tasks and due dates
myself and our manager have a great understanding work wise
Pros
off on weekends
Cons
low paying job
Productive and innovative workplace
TECHNICAL SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  4 Dorp Street, Cape Town12 December 2018
Centre of learning technical skills within the tech industry. Great teamwork and team motivational skills acquired.Real-world company policies exposure.
Pros
Sponsored Studies
Cons
Little exposure to practicality
2,0
Lacks succession planning and innovation
Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape28 May 2018
The workforce especially in the Western Cape is very old with the mentality of this is how its always been done. You have quite a bit of opportunity to constantly learn something new about the inside workings of government and you become to realize even though there are some amazing projects happening the wheel turns extremely slowly and this can be really frustrating.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No succession planning, innovation, progression. Toxic culture
4,0
This was a good foundation for development within the field of how to capture documents onto a database, storing documents and meeting deadlines.
Data Capture Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 March 2018
I would start my day at 07:30am till 4pm diligently and I would query higher authority or colleagues with longer experience which documents for the day needed to be captured into the database and where it needs to be stored. I had learned the importance of process orientation(complete what needs to be done and sticking to the process will enable me to meet deadlines) and how to adapt to environments(ethical).The management of work had been efficient when sticking to the process of capturing and storing of sectioned documents diligently. The workplace culture had been sophisticated(professional/ethical) and supportive social engagements.The most enjoyable part of the job was that there were no problems in the workplace(colleagues/authority) or the job and I would regard getting to work on time is the hardest part but manageable at the same time.
Pros
Simplicity in occupational duties.
Lack resources
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Western Cape28 February 2018
Over population in classes, building structure not conducive to learning and teaching.
Management style caters for different individuals. fun to work with them.
4,0
the environment was friendley felt very welcomed
Registry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 February 2018
i have achieved the skill of communication, team player,reliable, to work under pressure, meet deadlines, leadership as there was a variety of skills to achieve because of the various departments
Pros
one hour lunch
Cons
nothing
4,0
Productive and exciting , while experimenting
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape10 October 2017
It was a great experience, I learned a lot and met quite amazing people. The working environment was explicit and makes you want to go the extra mile.
Pros
Alot of experiences
Cons
Not much stability
Productive and friendly
Senior Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Parow Valley, Cape Town31 August 2017
Exciting opportunity for growth and experience.
I enjoyed working with the employees and fellow colleagues, supervisors are good.

Good company for expertise.
Pros
Exciting bonding opportunities
Cons
N/a
School sport play ground
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, Western Cape14 August 2017
Clock in at 07h00 and at 07h15 I go to the daily morning meeting were we discus what the job for the day is.
I learned how to work with challenging students and how to help them with there school work and how to work with different individuals
The workplace is a friendly environment where we have different tasks every day ranging from administration tasks to helping teacher in lessons with group work.
The hardest part of the job is to assist teacher with challenging students.
Is to work with the children and to develop there character so that they can know what they want to become in life.
Pros
Cons
6hours per day
Fun Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 July 2017
Working for the government was stress free and easy. My work colleagues was very nice and helpful, I learned a lot through them. The hardest part of the job was getting so early up in the morning to dodge the traffic. I enjoyed working with my colleagues because they made my day at work a happy one and I wish I could get another opportunity to work for the Western Cape Government again.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Tea Breaks
Cons
Higher level colleagues have a bad attitude towards lower level colleagues.
2,0
Typical Government
Laboratory technician (Former Employee) –  Cape Town19 April 2017
High salaries, low work, high training; if you can get through the nepotism and affirmative action. The bureaucracy will hamper any clerical submissions, but no one seems to mind blaming it - for example, waiting for a month for a computer terminal - as it means more time watching series and films on your mobile.
4,0
Engagement at strategic level with stakeholders in the province
Assistant Director Middle Manager (Current Employee) –  Cape Town5 February 2017
A great place to work and learn about skills development on a strategic level as well as about the education pipeline from general to post-school education. Identifying the gaps between supply and demand and addressing systemic issues to minimize the gap was is the most enjoyable and hardest part.
Pros
Bursary and housing benefit
Cons
limited advancement
4,0
It is a professional environment to work in which trains you to always remain proficient in the workplace, it is seen as a huge benefit.
Intern/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape25 January 2017
My work space has given me the opportunity to enjoy what I am doing including the rest of the staff that are very friendly and do not ill treat anybody lower or higher than themselves. It is with great pleasure to work in a professional environment and to broaden my horizons to get experience in the career field I would like to grow in.
Pros
Happy Staff
5,0
excellent workplace with high ethics and standards
Senior Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape7 November 2016
Early in the morning, before starting time everyone will greet each other. The work-ethic was very high, everybody start on time and push for the highest level of production.

We have set days and time for staff meetings. The supervisor would enquire now and then on difficult tasks, in order to assist. The co-workers are all very friendly and helpful. We all were subject to strict turn-around times for task -completion.

The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult clients, who appears to be unreasonable. I managed to exercise great patience and personal care to clarify any misunderstandings with clients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when clients understood policies, work processes and procedures and expressed satisfaction afterwards.
Hardworking and fun
Admin Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape27 September 2016
Everyday I learn something new like how to work on certain programs .The co-workers are wonderful.The hardest part of the job is when you working towards a died line.
Pros
Free lunches
Productive Workplace
Accounting Clerk - Assets (Current Employee) –  34 Roeland Street Cape Town 800123 September 2016
- Never know what to expect, new challenges daily.
- Learned to deal with the varied challenges by implementing controls to mitigate any risks involved.
- Management supportive
- Co workers very knowledgeable
- Having to wait on others for information to complete my tasks
- The most enjoyable part of the job is problem solving and people interaction.
Pros
Good Working Environment
Cons
Contract Position
Educational
PAYE Intern (Current Employee) –  Protea Assurance Building Greenmarket Square23 August 2016
Woolworths has been an education ride. It had taught me to always grab the next best thing and to always push and work harder in order to prosper. One of my greatest experiences.
Pros
One and a half hour lunch
Cons
Being an over achiever in the workplace
5,0
Well organised but not to strict
intern/office manager (Former Employee) –  Protea House Building Green Market Square22 August 2016
Everyday was managed and set out perfectly, Everyone new what had to be done and they made sure it was done. I've learnt the fundamentals about running a workplace through my internship. When I was appointed as office manager I learn that everything as a certain process. Hardest part was controlling everything at once but i soon got use to it. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that everyone was treated as equal whether you were a intern or supervisor,.
Pros
People are helpful
Cons
Workers can be a bit to talkative at times
Productive and fun workplace
HR Clerk intern (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape27 April 2016
Everyday is a working day productive and also challenging.
It requires one to manage time effectively and do tasks delegated on time and stay focus and energetic.

The climate is good and it's easy to adapt to the culture of the department. The management is very welcoming and the co-workers are great and very assisting.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that it enables one to grow and to develop and exposes you to other departments.
Pros
Free educational tours
5,0
intranet is faster , the skills tearm is great
Internship (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape20 April 2016
i have learn alot her and i have grown not just physicaly in a emotionaly as wel. i have upgreaded my skills on working with computers and tyiping documents. i wake up everyday with a confident becouse im looking forward to learn new things at work.
Pros
we always work as a tearm
Cons
lunch hours are too little