Zando Employee Reviews

Forward looking & Exciting Tech - GREAT
Developer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape18 April 2019
Pros:

Really good work-life balance
Great development opportunities
Great working environment
Great state-of-the-art tech stack
Great and ambitious goals
Great inclusive culture
You see the impact of your work
Your are involved in decision making and your opinion counts

Cons:
Team focus shifts in line with business requirement so you have to stay flexible
Pros
as above
Cons
as above
5,0
Great employer who does a lot for his employees
Planner (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape9 April 2019
I truly enjoy my time with Zando - probably one of the best emplyoers I've ever had.

Challenging and exciting tasks, casual atmosphere, good salary and ,any benefits.

Zando has evolved into a state-of-the-art compnay where work is rewarded, recognized and has an impact. I have worked in many fashion companies so far, but none was as cool as this company .. I am happy and proud to work here. The atmosphere is very open, laid back, but at the same time high performance oriented.

here are many events and I particularly enjoy the open communication.

When you start at Zando you have the opportunity to participate in a "Graduate Program" during which you get insights into all different departments of the business. This has allowed me to understand the needs of my colleagues and at the end of the day I feel like this has improved the intra-departmental productivity.

What I also really enjoy are the weekly Stand-Ups - every Monday your Manager will explain what is going on in other departments of the company.

Last but not least the office space is very cool and a good mix of open space and privacy - the canteen area could have bigger table though.
Pros
fresh fruit and vegetables, various drinks for free, flexitime, company culture, nice casual colleagues
5,0
Great place to work & learn
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 April 2019
In a nutshell - you learn A LOT in a very short period of time.

Zando is all about empowering the individual employee and teaching them how to become a better. It is the first company where the start-up feel is truly lived and the opportunities are simply endless.

- super motivated colleagues
- good management
- good working atmosphere
- many opportunities to learn and to develop
- sometimes a lot of pressure but one also has a lot of advantages to make things happen
- fast career advancement
- amazing office space
- they actually & truly care about you if you are upfront and honest
- fast paced environment
Pros
you learn a lot, very approachable Management, beans to grind coffee ;-)
Cons
nothing really
5,0
I really enjoy my time at Zando!
Purchasing employee (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 March 2019
I must say I was quite surprised when I read the feedback about Zando as my experience at Zando has been absolutely wonderful!

I have been with the company for almost 5 years. I have had amazing career growth and I am still learning new things (across the business) every day. Zando gives you as an employee autonomy and you are given the freedom to excel in your position. It is obviously up to the employee and their motivation and I understand that this might not be everyone’s preference but if you are driven and ambitious then Zando is great! I love the open and friendly culture and enjoy coming to work each day.
Pros
Growth, Caring culture, nice working environment
1,0
Exploitation at its best - toxic environment
Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Montague Gardens, Western Cape28 March 2019
If you care about your overall well being, I would advise you NOT to work here.

It's corporate slavery - an unashamedly capitalist driven company that over works, under pays and under values their employees while expecting them to reach completely unrealistic targets in poor conditions that take a serious toll on ones physical and mental health.

The studio department and warehouse are situated far from HQ which results in the studio department being neglected. The working conditions at the warehouse are appalling to say the least. The content writers work in a small office that has no natural lighting or ventilation. You heard me, there's no window! The room is constantly stuffy and uncomfortable. As a result, feeling sluggish, light headed and getting headaches are an everyday occurrence which not only leaves one feeling unmotivated but has a serious impact on productivity.

There's no real break spot so lunch is mostly eaten at the desk. The condition of the kitchen is totally inadequate. There is no sink with running water, no spoons, glasses or cloths. The studio department often using other cutlery to stir their tea and coffee. There have been days where we've had no water and have been dehydrated. There are only 4 women's toilets to service both the studio and warehouse staff. These conditions are shameful and the fact that basic necessities are lacking is a major concern.

There seems to be a high turnover rate which is also disconcerting. Management seems to be overly concerned with profits and growth while negating the employees. Management can be patronising
  more... and there's clear favouritism too. There's a very obviously hierarchy between departments and depending on which department you're in, your needs will be addressed sooner than others. Half the time, it feels like management forgets the studio and content team exists.

There are some incredibly hardworking and talented employees in the company who unfortunately do not get to reach their full potential due to limited growth opportunities, favouritism and zero recognition.

The culture can be cliquey and domineering which is reminiscent of high school. However, there is also the opportunity to develop real connections with people too.

The pay is atrocious and is not market related.

Expect a brief 'thank you' via email and a cupcake as recognition for your work.
Pros
Flexi time, staff discount (not really a pro), certain employees are passionate
Cons
low salary, bad working conditions, minimal benefits, clear favouritism from management, no recognition for your work, cliquey, zero growth, dodgy HR department, under resourced, unrealistic targets
You deserve better
worker (Former Employee) –  Salt River, Western Cape28 March 2019
HR lack humanity. They're too busy having coffee, matching their shoes to each other and chatting with management.

Management is rude and uncultured. Favoritism and nepotism run wild within the walls of Zando.

Management really don't care about your growth, you need to keep quiet and work, even when you're being openly disrespected and under immense pressure.

If you want to make a change then this is not the place for you. Processes and respect are things that are unheard of so don't waste your breath if your needs are growing within your field, growing within the business and taking things to the next level.

Flexi-hours are not really flexi, overtime is an unwritten rule and don't expect to get paid for it.

No one stays for long and they make examples of long standing employees but most of those people are on their way out anyway so don't fall for that. The place is draining and toxic.

The offices are disgusting. There was a rat decomposing in one of the departments. It's stomach fell out of it's body as one of the employees tried to remove it.
Pros
If I can think of one i'll come back and insert it here
Cons
Working there.
nothing personal, just business
Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Montague Gardens, Western Cape22 March 2019
I applied to work for Zando even though I read the horrible reviews on this very informative site, hoping my experience would be different. Please learn from me, kids, everything you read on here is true.

When I started working for Zando, everything in the garden was rosy until they moved the content department to a small little room in their Montague Gardens warehouse.

Our working conditions and environment is unhealthy. The matchbox-sized office they put us in has no ventilation, no natural sunlight and we basically inhaled each other's carbon dioxide. As one can imagine, we fell ill a lot and were advised to take immune boosters in order to cope with our ridiculous targets.

Let's move over to the kitchen, shall we? On most days we have a filthy kitchen with no running water. We have to go downstairs to wash our hands before meal times, wipe the kitchen surface with a dirty cloth after we prepped our food, and we have an ADDIS bakkie for a kitchen sink. Also, we don't have cutlery. Every morning you will find both studio & content teams perfecting the art of making their daily cup of coffee with knives (should there be any available). There are days when we don't even have drinkable water.

Basically, the warehouse staff is neglected and they only care for the HQ staff.

Management rarely acknowledges our existence, and when they do, they talk to us in a condescending manner. Let's not even touch on the HR subject.

Zando has an excellent team of creatives who 1) aren't allowed to express themselves creatively 2) are overworked, undervalued and underpaid.
  more... During my time here, I noticed that the only reason the loyal ones stuck around is the fact that they feel trapped.  less
Pros
2 ply toilet paper, amazing content and studio team
Cons
Management, favouritism, lack of kitchen maintenance, lack of cutlery, job insecurity, unreliable hr staff, low salary, no growth
I will never go back
Content writer (Former Employee) –  Salt River, Western Cape5 March 2019
The amount of people that come and go is unsettling. Little to no growth. Shady HR team. Incapable management. Definitely don't expect a thank you for going above and beyond. Do expect a small box of smarties as gratitude for 5 years of service.
Pros
Flexi time, great location
Cons
Job insecurity, obstinate management, no back-up from HR
Beautiful
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 November 2018
The only reason why I enjoyed working at Zando is because there are so many beautiful girls. That was my only drive to get to get to work everyday. ..
Pros
Beautiful Ladies
Cons
Beautiful Ladies
High Employee Turnover
Buyers Assistant (Former Employee) –  HQ5 November 2018
I have never seen people walk in and out of a company so fast. No company culture at all, just a sweat shop with a pretty, barely functional, online store.
Pros
Merchandise Discounts
Cons
Poor Salary, No Growth and Condescending heads of department
Worked for 3 eCom players - Zando was my favourite
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape29 October 2018
First of all I would like to say that I am really not a job-hopper, but over the last 5 years I just happened to work for 3 different eCommerce players in South Africa in Business Development & strategy roles.

Out of the three roles I would definitely rank Zando the highest - my reasons:

# Most technologically advance thanks to international network of companies. At Zando things have been done fast but always smart. I really enjoyed this thinking and especially at T... I lacked a sense of strategy and direction

# Business Acumen - I learnt a lot about the commercial factors to run a business at Zando. They have they numbers in mind at whatever they do and they do it smart. I was very impressed with that and compared to there standards both, T... and S... acted like they are sitting on an indefinite stack of money that can be burned

# Honesty, Transparency & Culture - Zando is still a start-up at heart. They do not come with all benefits of an established company, but they are honest, transparent and genuine. They really build a culture and want their employees to be happy at work and develop. I really liked this thinking of empowerment.

Unfortunately I relocated earlier this year so that I had to move away from Zando, but also eCommerce. I miss it.
Pros
you work with smart people, fast paced, commercial leader, innovative
Cons
Warehouse & HQ are not at same location which I found sometime difficult
5,0
Zando is a great place to work for learning and growing
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Salt River, Western Cape24 October 2018
I've been working at Zando for a while now and I have to say that out of all the companies I have worked for, Zando has been the best by far. I've been exposed to so many areas of the business and am constantly learning and being challenged (in a good way) with the support of my manager and the CEO who are big on knowledge sharing and growing people who want to succeed. Yes the expectations are high at Zando and I work hard, but at the end of the day I manage my own time and am able to work flexi-hours without being watched because I am getting my work done. If you are passionate and driven then Zando is an amazing place to work for your career.
Pros
flexi-hours, staff discount, growth & development
2,0
Stressful environment
Purchasing dept (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape12 September 2018
Zando expects employees to pull rabbits out of a hat. The company expects you to achieve extremely high targets without any proper systems to operate on. Management aims for extreme targets without focusing on building the fundamentals such as systems and basic retail operations.

The CEO is young and intelligent but does not have a retail background so he does not prioritize the purchasing departments needs.

Management has no sympathy for the workload and time it takes to complete tasks. You are expected to go above and beyond at all times but don't expect a thank you or any incentives as reward for hard work.

Zando promotes a flexible environment which encourages work and family life balance however the workload requires more work time in place of family time.

Remuneration is not in line with the industry standards. Zando pays as little as possible with below inflation annual increases.

I would not recommend it as a company to work.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours; low pay with low increases; lack of resources
5,0
Once you leave you will realize what you actually left behind...
Creditors Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape31 August 2018
My first day at Zando I was introduced to the Z'culture way of life.I was welcomed by my colleagues and taken for lunch at the company's expense.The Hr staff are amazing and very supportive ,there was no "im lost"feeling.My first week I had to dive right in ,everyone in my team was very helpful and supportive.
In my 4months at Zando ,i was part of a team that won department of the year...yes even I got a certificate.
The workload ,although massive...you always had someone rooting for .Dropping lollipops or donuts on your desk to say "hey! You got this!" As an employee you get staff discount ,fruit,coffee and the occasional gift ....theres always an excuse to motivate staff.Teams often go on cool team buildings on the company expense....it kinda makes up for the long hours you spend at the office.
Like every other company nothing is perfect ...apart from the odd negative nancy's and spending late nights in an office alone I cannot fault them.
Pros
Free lunches, gifts, staff discounts
Corporate Slavery
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 July 2018
After 9 months of torture at Zando I went to work for a start up which paid less. I am much happier now, its true that you can not buy your happiness. Zando will treat you like a second class citizen with its poor management and condescending heads of department.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours, Terrible Culture and No growth
2,0
Terrible working environment
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Head office2 May 2018
I was extremely excited to work for the company but once the novelty wore off and I realized what was actually happening I left.
The offices are situated in a converted factory and has been "modernized" to hide the poor lighting, lack of ventilation and numerous other health and safety issues.
Management always has new exciting ideas that they come up with but fail to ensure that employees have the right tools to make their ideas possible. Success is expected regardless.
Overtime is constantly required in order to meet deadlines but no overtime is paid. Management does not realize that employees are not machines.
The average employee is a 24 year old female - this says a lot about the "culture" and environment of the company.
Nobody takes responsibility for anything. The blame is always shifted from one to another.
Nobody has clear definitions of their required jobs and this causes such confusion.
Quarterly reviews are scheduled out of work hours and are mandatory for employees to attend.
All of the systems used are excel based and extremely manual making all tasks take really long.
Pros
Free coffee/tea, fruit
Cons
Poor management, manual systems, no support and structure
Dead end exploitation
Image retoucher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 April 2018
Skilled labour at factory conditions with inadequate dept. staffing tackling massive workload hence the constant pressure and unrealistic expectations. Pay's extremely low and insufficient to live outside of a township - barring rich parents or inherited wealth. Top tier of management and decision makers predominantly white. No benefits ie. No 13th cheque/bonus, provident/pension fund, medical aid etc. Growth mostly non existent. A subsidiary of Zalando based in Germany - with staff paid rates exceeding 3/4 times equivalent value. Simply another corporation capitalizing on third world plight - avoid.
Pros
patronized with free popcorn, cheap ice cream etc
Cons
overworked, underpaid, no benefits, no room to grow, fascist corporate exploitation
Toxic work inviroment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 April 2018
You will learn that you and there customer base mean jack to the company....bad hours..bad people....if you like being looked down on go ahead apply...
Pros
free wifi
Cons
working there
Developer (Current Employee) –  Salt River3 April 2018
Cool company to work for. Opportunity and freedom to work on exciting tech and projects without being micro-managed. If you have drive you can make things happen here.
Pros
Always learning
Never Again!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 February 2018
Zando claims to be a company with culture but it's nothing but a pyramid scheme style company structure. Save yourself and apply to a employer who cares about you as a person.
Pros
Good at promises
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Management, Obnoxious IT department, Limited resources