Zando Employee Reviews

Dead end exploitation
Image retoucher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 April 2018
Skilled labour at factory conditions with inadequate dept. staffing tackling massive workload hence the constant pressure and unrealistic expectations. Pay's extremely low and insufficient to live outside of a township - barring rich parents or inherited wealth. Top tier of management and decision makers predominantly white. No benefits ie. No 13th cheque/bonus, provident/pension fund, medical aid etc. Growth mostly non existent. A subsidiary of Zalando based in Germany - with staff paid rates exceeding 3/4 times equivalent value. Simply another corporation capitalizing on third world plight - avoid.
Pros
patronized with free popcorn, cheap ice cream etc
Cons
overworked, underpaid, no benefits, no room to grow, fascist corporate exploitation
Toxic work inviroment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 April 2018
You will learn that you and there customer base mean jack to the company....bad hours..bad people....if you like being looked down on go ahead apply...
Pros
free wifi
Cons
working there
Developer (Current Employee) –  Salt River3 April 2018
Cool company to work for. Opportunity and freedom to work on exciting tech and projects without being micro-managed. If you have drive you can make things happen here.
Pros
Always learning
Never Again!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 February 2018
Zando claims to be a company with culture but it's nothing but a pyramid scheme style company structure. Save yourself and apply to a employer who cares about you as a person.
Pros
Good at promises
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Management, Obnoxious IT department, Limited resources
Terrible Experience!
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Head Office23 January 2018
Zando is the absolute worst place to work. The conditions are horrible and your "team" is lead by a dictator who insists on working with a monolithic system they call a "online shop". If you value yourself as a person do not apply to this company.
Pros
Nice Offices
Cons
long hours, no room to grow, dictatorship, not open to new ideas
Buyer " most awful immature business to work for
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Head Office3 December 2017
Working for Zando is like working for the Gestappo

As a buyer I am overloaded with work with impossible growth targets to achieve. Management is very young and has little retail experience, especially SA retail experience.

The systems are all manual and excel based and they do not have efficient ways of monitoring trade.

Salaries are poor and the business will find ways to work out those employees they feel are being paid too high, especially the loyal ( and good ) ones that started with the company.

The hours are long and bosses 'clock watch'. Employees are treated as children and there are no benefits. a R600 contribution to a basic medial aid is not a benefit. No overtime or pension.

It is a pressurized work environment which is very stressful, there is little compassion and one is treated as a number who they will replace at a heart beat. No room for growth in a flat structure and they have become very corporate for a bunch of amateurs.

I would never recommend anybody work there no matter how desperate they are to get into retail. Once you are in you will not grow.
Pros
Secure parking for long serving emploeeys
Cons
Poor directors and management, overworked, no flexibility
Overworking employees
Designer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 August 2017
Long work days with no overtime paid.
Unrealistic workloads to be completed in a day.
No benefits other than a discount on clothing.
No room to grow.
Taken advantage of as an employee.
Poor management.
No end of year bonuses.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Overtime with no pay, no room to grow, no training, poor management.
fun workplace
checker (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape8 February 2017
Great place two work at .. Everything is clean neat and dity ... Its a very small warehouse ... But is nice working there .. With the people u will get two no.
Pros
free coffie
Cons
shifts
New and exciting world!
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape16 January 2017
Big team, new perspectives and ideas about retail. Lots of different work backgrounds which made environment exciting.
Start Up Culture, fact pace, hard work, rewarding
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town19 May 2016
I am still working at Zando and decided to write this review after reading some of the previous comments.

I am with the company for nearly 2.5 years now and still enjoy it a lot. Zando is a very fast paced company that allows you to work, learn and build a career as long as you are motivated and ambitious.

The company culture is very open, transparent and generally friendly which also reflects in a really cool office.
I have to say that I disagree with the previous comments regarding the management and assume that the negative feedback is referring to the old Senior Management. My boss as well as the top management is actually very approachable, knowledgeable and for me most importantly open for ideas and happy to share their knowledge.

The only downside that I would like to mention are fairly long hours which is probably normal for a fast growing start up.

To sum it up - I am very happy in my job as I am challenged every day, get to learn new things and have great co-workers.
Pros
great culture, fast moving, great opportunities if your are motivated
Cons
it is a start up so longer hours than a corporate company
i loved this place
inventory clerk (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, WC6 March 2015
always start the job early with some coffee and then i am off to do the job and duties that is bestowed upon me.always worked hard through out the day and going the extra mile
Pros
i get to work weekends
Cons
low income
Productive, funky fun workplace
Customer Loyalty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC12 February 2015
busy, and fast paced would be a typical day. Learned to work under pressure along with amazing co workers.Hardest part of my job is when sales starts and the festive.The joys of the job are the working hours and a few funny customer's and definitely the colleagues.
Pros
no public holidays, and no weekends, basics are provided.
Cons
Long hour Fridays
anything good to say?????? naaaaa
buying (Current Employee) –  cape town21 March 2014
they have no idea of fashion retail
bad management support from the top
top management seriously need to change their attitude
people unhappy
Pros
relaxed
Cons
dont trust top management
Productive Days
Product Development Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC25 July 2013
Each day I get in to work, I know its going to be a handful. Checking emails, product selection and marketing, meetings. My team and I work very well together in all aspects. My days are not usually the same as problems occur with logistics and warehouse needs our assistance for quality check. I wouldn't call it the hardest part of my job, but brainstorming as a team and individual to get stock moving and selling old stock can be difficult, because our company is e-commerce. The most enjoyable part is having humorous moments when i see a colleague is down and needs some cheering up.
Pros
Internet Access
Cons
The hours were hectic but were reduced
inventory clerk (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WC11 July 2013
I HAVE LEARN TO USE ALL THE RESOURCE TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY a typical day at work.
Pros
Learn alot
Cons
Not stable
Head Photographer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town17 April 2013
Shooting alot! I learnt to work hard. My co- workers are my family away from home. Hardest part of work is that its repetitive
Pros
stable income
Productive and Fun,Learning ,Growing work place
Purchasing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cape Town3 April 2013
I have learnt many things over the past year. There are always people that are willing to help . T\he people are amazing. There are no hard parts to working here. The most enjoyable part is the colegues , they make the workplace a fun and exiting environment
New Company
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Ndabeni Cape Town1 June 2012
Interesting culture of on-line shopping
Unrealistic management expectations
Limited resources
Cons
worked 7 days a week