Zando Management reviews

nothing personal, just business
Content Writer (Former Employee) –  Montague Gardens, Western Cape22 March 2019
I applied to work for Zando even though I read the horrible reviews on this very informative site, hoping my experience would be different. Please learn from me, kids, everything you read on here is true.

When I started working for Zando, everything in the garden was rosy until they moved the content department to a small little room in their Montague Gardens warehouse.

Our working conditions and environment is unhealthy. The matchbox-sized office they put us in has no ventilation, no natural sunlight and we basically inhaled each other's carbon dioxide. As one can imagine, we fell ill a lot and were advised to take immune boosters in order to cope with our ridiculous targets.

Let's move over to the kitchen, shall we? On most days we have a filthy kitchen with no running water. We have to go downstairs to wash our hands before meal times, wipe the kitchen surface with a dirty cloth after we prepped our food, and we have an ADDIS bakkie for a kitchen sink. Also, we don't have cutlery. Every morning you will find both studio & content teams perfecting the art of making their daily cup of coffee with knives (should there be any available). There are days when we don't even have drinkable water.

Basically, the warehouse staff is neglected and they only care for the HQ staff.

Management rarely acknowledges our existence, and when they do, they talk to us in a condescending manner. Let's not even touch on the HR subject.

Zando has an excellent team of creatives who 1) aren't allowed to express themselves creatively 2) are overworked, undervalued and underpaid.
  more... During my time here, I noticed that the only reason the loyal ones stuck around is the fact that they feel trapped.  less
Pros
2 ply toilet paper, amazing content and studio team
Cons
Management, favouritism, lack of kitchen maintenance, lack of cutlery, job insecurity, unreliable hr staff, low salary, no growth
I will never go back
Content writer (Former Employee) –  Salt River, Western Cape5 March 2019
The amount of people that come and go is unsettling. Little to no growth. Shady HR team. Incapable management. Definitely don't expect a thank you for going above and beyond. Do expect a small box of smarties as gratitude for 5 years of service.
Pros
Flexi time, great location
Cons
Job insecurity, obstinate management, no back-up from HR
High Employee Turnover
Buyers Assistant (Former Employee) –  HQ5 November 2018
I have never seen people walk in and out of a company so fast. No company culture at all, just a sweat shop with a pretty, barely functional, online store.
Pros
Merchandise Discounts
Cons
Poor Salary, No Growth and Condescending heads of department
5,0
Zando is a great place to work for learning and growing
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Salt River, Western Cape24 October 2018
I've been working at Zando for a while now and I have to say that out of all the companies I have worked for, Zando has been the best by far. I've been exposed to so many areas of the business and am constantly learning and being challenged (in a good way) with the support of my manager and the CEO who are big on knowledge sharing and growing people who want to succeed. Yes the expectations are high at Zando and I work hard, but at the end of the day I manage my own time and am able to work flexi-hours without being watched because I am getting my work done. If you are passionate and driven then Zando is an amazing place to work for your career.
Pros
flexi-hours, staff discount, growth & development
Corporate Slavery
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape1 July 2018
After 9 months of torture at Zando I went to work for a start up which paid less. I am much happier now, its true that you can not buy your happiness. Zando will treat you like a second class citizen with its poor management and condescending heads of department.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long Hours, Terrible Culture and No growth
Terrible working environment
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Head office2 May 2018
I was extremely excited to work for the company but once the novelty wore off and I realized what was actually happening I left.
The offices are situated in a converted factory and has been "modernized" to hide the poor lighting, lack of ventilation and numerous other health and safety issues.
Management always has new exciting ideas that they come up with but fail to ensure that employees have the right tools to make their ideas possible. Success is expected regardless.
Overtime is constantly required in order to meet deadlines but no overtime is paid. Management does not realize that employees are not machines.
The average employee is a 24 year old female - this says a lot about the "culture" and environment of the company.
Nobody takes responsibility for anything. The blame is always shifted from one to another.
Nobody has clear definitions of their required jobs and this causes such confusion.
Quarterly reviews are scheduled out of work hours and are mandatory for employees to attend.
All of the systems used are excel based and extremely manual making all tasks take really long.
Pros
Free coffee/tea, fruit
Cons
Poor management, manual systems, no support and structure
Dead end exploitation
Image retoucher (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 April 2018
Skilled labour at factory conditions with inadequate dept. staffing tackling massive workload hence the constant pressure and unrealistic expectations. Pay's extremely low and insufficient to live outside of a township - barring rich parents or inherited wealth. Top tier of management and decision makers predominantly white. No benefits ie. No 13th cheque/bonus, provident/pension fund, medical aid etc. Growth mostly non existent. A subsidiary of Zalando based in Germany - with staff paid rates exceeding 3/4 times equivalent value. Simply another corporation capitalizing on third world plight - avoid.
Pros
patronized with free popcorn, cheap ice cream etc
Cons
overworked, underpaid, no benefits, no room to grow, fascist corporate exploitation
Developer (Current Employee) –  Salt River3 April 2018
Cool company to work for. Opportunity and freedom to work on exciting tech and projects without being micro-managed. If you have drive you can make things happen here.
Pros
Always learning
Never Again!
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 February 2018
Zando claims to be a company with culture but it's nothing but a pyramid scheme style company structure. Save yourself and apply to a employer who cares about you as a person.
Pros
Good at promises
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Management, Obnoxious IT department, Limited resources
Terrible Experience!
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Head Office23 January 2018
Zando is the absolute worst place to work. The conditions are horrible and your "team" is lead by a dictator who insists on working with a monolithic system they call a "online shop". If you value yourself as a person do not apply to this company.
Pros
Nice Offices
Cons
long hours, no room to grow, dictatorship, not open to new ideas
1,0
Buyer " most awful immature business to work for
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cape Town, Head Office3 December 2017
Working for Zando is like working for the Gestappo

As a buyer I am overloaded with work with impossible growth targets to achieve. Management is very young and has little retail experience, especially SA retail experience.

The systems are all manual and excel based and they do not have efficient ways of monitoring trade.

Salaries are poor and the business will find ways to work out those employees they feel are being paid too high, especially the loyal ( and good ) ones that started with the company.

The hours are long and bosses 'clock watch'. Employees are treated as children and there are no benefits. a R600 contribution to a basic medial aid is not a benefit. No overtime or pension.

It is a pressurized work environment which is very stressful, there is little compassion and one is treated as a number who they will replace at a heart beat. No room for growth in a flat structure and they have become very corporate for a bunch of amateurs.

I would never recommend anybody work there no matter how desperate they are to get into retail. Once you are in you will not grow.
Pros
Secure parking for long serving emploeeys
Cons
Poor directors and management, overworked, no flexibility
Overworking employees
Designer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, Western Cape19 August 2017
Long work days with no overtime paid.
Unrealistic workloads to be completed in a day.
No benefits other than a discount on clothing.
No room to grow.
Taken advantage of as an employee.
Poor management.
No end of year bonuses.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Overtime with no pay, no room to grow, no training, poor management.
Start Up Culture, fact pace, hard work, rewarding
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Cape Town19 May 2016
I am still working at Zando and decided to write this review after reading some of the previous comments.

I am with the company for nearly 2.5 years now and still enjoy it a lot. Zando is a very fast paced company that allows you to work, learn and build a career as long as you are motivated and ambitious.

The company culture is very open, transparent and generally friendly which also reflects in a really cool office.
I have to say that I disagree with the previous comments regarding the management and assume that the negative feedback is referring to the old Senior Management. My boss as well as the top management is actually very approachable, knowledgeable and for me most importantly open for ideas and happy to share their knowledge.

The only downside that I would like to mention are fairly long hours which is probably normal for a fast growing start up.

To sum it up - I am very happy in my job as I am challenged every day, get to learn new things and have great co-workers.
Pros
great culture, fast moving, great opportunities if your are motivated
Cons
it is a start up so longer hours than a corporate company
1,0
anything good to say?????? naaaaa
buying (Current Employee) –  cape town21 March 2014
they have no idea of fashion retail
bad management support from the top
top management seriously need to change their attitude
people unhappy
Pros
relaxed
Cons
dont trust top management
New Company
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Ndabeni Cape Town1 June 2012
Interesting culture of on-line shopping
Unrealistic management expectations
Limited resources
Cons
worked 7 days a week